GCBAR - Grand Canyon Backcountry Adventure Route - The Complete Route

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by dave6253, Feb 6, 2016.

1. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave,

The current tracks are correct for the AZ strip and North rim area, right? I have the choice of 990, 630, or 450 so need to decide which bike is right for the job! Keeping an eye on the weather helps determine if we do the AZ strip or the North rim area this May!

How do you rate yourself as a rider? I have had guys say a route is easy but they are Enduro racers and can really fly!
  2. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    Whats up with Tatahatsu point? I had a great visit with a tribal ranger there. Nice guy, rode out to the point with me, smoked a bowl and invited me back to his village.
    520eek and Antikid like this.
  3. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

Tatahatso Point is only accessible by paying for a guided photography tour through one of the local tour companies. If you try to ride there, you will be confronted and told to turn around.

Here is my latest report.

Re-riding a Dream - Grand Canyon Backcountry
    October 2019, A 10 day journey on the GCBAR with RTWPaul.
    [​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

On the Navajo reservation I will be changing the tracks to follow the AZBDR, plus I've added another great viewpoint to replace Tatahatso. The BDR adds some fun tracks and decreases the amount of pavement.

The new viewpoint is the Confluence Overlook.

@rtwpaul checks out the view
    [​IMG]

The Confluence is where the Colorado and Little Colorado Rivers meet and the beginning of the Grand Canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    WDG, cactus_reese, MaNDan and 7 others like this.
  4. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:

I'm no racer. I'm a skilled road rider who converted to adventure riding when I got my first dirt bike - a 990. The sand on Mud Mountain RD was always the area I didn't like on the 990 - but found easy on the 690. I think the route has some pretty rough and difficult areas, (steep rocky sections and such) but everyone else I ride with up there thinks it's all easy. YMMV Greatly. It was initially intended as a big bike friendly route. I think many big bike riders would be hating me though.
    chilejack likes this.
  5. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you, good to know! I'm tired of picking up GS1200's that riding buddies have, so I'm about to tell everyone that 450's are the best thing since sliced bread!
  6. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    Oops. I was thinking of havasupai point.
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as you are changing to route to follow the AZBDR, you might want to consider another variation north of Cameron. I got this overlook from Crawdaddys Loop the Grand Canyon ride.
    The closest place that seems to have a geographical name is Nanoweap falls a few miles south.

[​IMG]

It is here: N36° 19' 59.2" W111° 50' 53.2"

I always find this a great overlook although it is a little ordinary by Grand Canyon standards. Maybe because you don't see the canyon
    until you are about to ride over the edge.

You get there and back by heading west from the AZBDR north of Cameron on a series of easy two track ranch roads

Tracks are here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/spring-trip-2017-nm-az-azbdr-ut-co-loop.1229784/
    WDG, MaNDan, chilejack and 5 others like this.
  8. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    What's the best time of year to ride the AZBDR and the track you referenced?
  9. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    From Page 1, What's the best time of year to attempt this route?
    Many of these tracks will become completely impassable during wet weather. The upper elevations of the Kaibab Plateau (North Rim) sees significant snowfall that can last fairly late into the season. I once rode in a heavy snowstorm with 2 inches of accumulation in June! The North Rim areas of the National Park are closed from November 1- May 15th. Mid-July, August, and early September are the Monsoon Months with thunderstorms possible nearly every day. The Kaibab Plateau trails usually hold up pretty well under wet weather, but all of the others get muddy real quick. That leaves June to Early July, or Late September to Late October as the best times to plan. The first week or so of October is usually a good time for fall colors in the aspens - and you will be riding through plenty of aspens. Keep your plans flexible and be willing to change them ahead of wet weather. Be prepared for huge differences in temperatures. During my October 2013 trip, I saw temps range from 25 to 105 F.
    WDG, MaNDan, Aces 6 and 1 other person like this.
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have always done these rides in the mid-May time frame. This is a really good time, May is usually the driest month of the year. But you can always get nailed with a few days of rain and even snow around Flagstaff.
    On the trip I posted tracks for we left Albquqerque in what felt like sweltering heat. Two hours later we got hit with a nasty cold sleet storm south of the Zuni mountains that seemed to materialize out of nowhere.

Another good theoretical time is late September. But one year we got totally trapped by mud in the mountains outside Chinle AZ and had to be rescued by the Navajo Police

https://advrider.com/f/threads/bad-mud-day-on-the-rez-rr.727309/
    guavadude, WDG, MaNDan and 2 others like this.
  11. brap attack

brap attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the work that went into making the route, sure i'll be exploring some of this late September this year, wondering if its going to rain at all.
  12. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Or snow. How's the fires out there this year. Last September the fires had a lot of the lookouts closed.
  13. brap attack

brap attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m in Colorado and fires have been fairly intense, some big ones burning in the central part of the state near Utah. Very Smokey. It’s been super dry this summer.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  14. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I figured the fire's could be an issue with the dry condition. I know my trailer is in SW NM the the fires are burning there as well
  15. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah For Toroweap, go to BLM office in St.George for permits, is right where the FS roads start south from St George. Get the permit, lots of Jeepers there, only (2) vehicles per space. The BLM area is a ways away, but camping at Toroweap is so awesome, a 15min walk to the edge of the GCanyon, Astounding views, a great ride in (watch out for rain or Mud), on top of that all, the most amazing location for a pit toilet I've ever seen.

When I went, solo on my S10, I extended a few more days, exploring because it was soo nice. Rode to Fredonia (i think) for a re-supply of food & drink, stayed 5 nights instead of 3.
    Do take a Delorm or Spot, I used mine 2X for SOS related, many times for family/friend texts. Got caught by rain, and while camping was fine/nice. The ride out not so. Red Clay and 50/50 tires No Bueno.

October should be good, but if any moisture, I'd Put on Knobbys in St George. In fact next time that is what I'll do, unless I happen to truck in a real off-road bike.

Dave, thanks for all the info, It was your earlier thread & pics that got me there.
    Mike B
    WDG likes this.