GCBAR - Grand Canyon Backcountry Adventure Route - The Complete Route

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by dave6253, Feb 6, 2016.

1. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave didn't include Kelly Point in his GCBAR route, I have a kid named Kelly thought it would be fun to ride.
    wbbnm likes this.
  2. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been out to Kelly Pt yet. It would add about 30 miles of rugged out and back in a section that is already too long for fuel range. I hope to make a special ride just to get there 1 day. It's supposedly pretty rocky the whole way.
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^echo that. Don't ride alone, especially on a 600 lb bike. It's a rule I've forced myself to abide by as I've just seen too much that's easily resolved when you have a buddy and 2nd bike along.

Yeh, it's impossible to quantify what size bike is good on most any route. I spent considerable time at the top of various Colorado BDR passes this summer with my fully loaded 1200 GSA. A lot of riders there were complaining how hard it was on their 690 or 640 and they should have ran their 300's instead. It boils down to what you are comfortable on. I love my bike and am really comfortable with running it in tough conditions. If you are in love with your bike then just ride it until you can't, then turn around. That turn around point is different for each one of us.
    EvilSteve, Aces 6 and NoelJ like this.
  4. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    I've been there a couple times. It is rocky...your butt won't be spending much time touching the seat and your knees will get a good workout. And it is forested all the way so you have to stay in the middle of the road or risk getting your knuckles rapped with a cedar branch that doesn't bend!
    P1000480r.jpg P1000500epr.jpg
  5. gobigbakes

gobigbakes Phoenix, AZ rentals

Oddometer:
    Epic thread! Glad I came across this. It is a great resource. We've got a fleet of rental bikes in Phoenix and the Grand Canyon is our #1 renter destination! Thank you for posting (oh so many years ago now)
    dave6253 and Zubb like this.