GDR timing 2019 S to N

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by capcrazy, May 10, 2019.

1. capcrazy

capcrazy what, me worry?

Oddometer:
    with all the crazy weather this winter (and beyond), what would be the best time to plan to start a S to N GDR this year? mid or late August maybe?
  2. Paul in Colo

Paul in Colo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi CapCrazy -
    Four of us our going to be starting the CDR (starting at the Canadian border) on Sunday Sept 1st. Two of the four finishing in Colorado, and the other two all the way to Mexico.

Wanted to make contact with you and see if you are still planning to go and possibly share any info on the route ( i.e. current conditions, closures, locked gates, difficult sections, etc.)

Please let me know if you are still planning to go. thanks, Paul
  3. capcrazy

capcrazy what, me worry?

Oddometer:
    sorry, I hadn't logged in for a while and just saw this now. you are probably past the problem sections but:
    1) between Lincoln, MT and Helena, MT the road is closed due to logging operations. I slid through after quitting time when no one was out there.
    2) between Dunior, WY and Pinedale, WY you will come across signage on the Union Pass road saying a bridge is out. the road is actually still passable.

also, roads in far southern CO (south of Del Norte) and parts of northern NM took a lot of storm damage last month, but are hopefully easily passable by now. you might want to inquire with the locals when you reach that point.