Gear position Indicator for Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by InsuredDisaster, Oct 25, 2007.

1. InsuredDisaster

InsuredDisaster Sam's Summer Camp

Oddometer:
    I'm sure many of you who own the Vstrom 650 wish that you had something that tells you when you are in 6th gear. However, its probably not worth 100+ dollars to add one.

I found this link which seems to have a DIY option for a simple, yet apparently effect indicator. I'm going to build one. I've ordered all the parts from an online electronic supply company, and they'll be here next Monday or Tuesday.

Has anyone else built something? I'd love to see pictures.
  2. McB

McB Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer:
    With stock gearing, if the revs correspond with the indicated mph (4k rpm / 40 mph; 5k rpm / 50 mph, etc. ) I know I'm in 4th gear. If I give it a boot and there's none left, I'm already in 6th. Hope that helps. :lol3
  3. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yours didn't come with a tachometer?
  4. Green427

Green427 Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer:
    Actually, I am one of the select few that wish my Wee came with an indicator......I am a new rider (coming back after a long absence) and when I slow down to a crawl and downshift, my attention gets distracted by traffic, etc, and I sometimes forget which gear I was in, and then I find myself either nearly stalling out in too high of a gear or surging in too low of a gear.

I am sure that will change as time goes on and I get 'quicker' and get a better 'feel' of which gear I am in while rolling slowly, but for now, it would have been nice to have an indicator.
  5. Green427

Green427 Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer:
    BTW....while the sun was shining at a certain angle on my Wee, I noticed that the LCD display had huge "O/D" letters, but they do not come on while in 6th gear....I assume it only works on the Vee, right?:scratch
  6. InsuredDisaster

Oddometer:
    I know the tach can be used to tell what gear you are in. Hell, you could do away with the speedo if you just had the tach. However, I feel that light indicator allows you to tell with great speed and certainty what gear you are in. Additionally, I sometimes am slowing down for a red light or whatever and will pull in the clutch and just start downshifting as there isn't enough time to engage each gear. Then whatever was making me stop is no longer an issue but I can't remeber if I'm in 2nd or 3rd. This Indicator that I'm loooking at will eliminate that problem.

My problem is 5 and 6. When I'm around town, I shift into 6 quite often. When I'm first getting onto the highway after a lot of in town riding, the higher RPMs make me want to find one more gear, though I'm already in 6th. Sometimes I know that I'm in 6th, but dang, I just have to double check anyway.

And I don't know about the rest of you, buy my Wee has gobs of power, even at 6th gear and 85-90 mph. Roll on the gas and my Wee will be shooting into the triple digits with astonishing quickness. Maybe I'm just not a fat ass.:dunno

And yes Green, there is a GPI signal wire, but it won't work with the Overdrive light. Too bad.
  7. BooneDog

BooneDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "the higher RPMs make me want to find one more gear, though I'm already in 6th."

that means you need another 350cc :evil

Seriously, it seems like there should be SOME way to activate the OD indicator on the Wee, if you can see that it's in the display. Have you looked at wiring diagrams for both bikes to see if you can figure anything out? (maybe some have researched this and in fact it can't be done, I have no idea, but just one of those things where, you KNOW it's there, just how the heck to make it work).
    I do like the indicator on the VEE, but almost for the opposite reason, I've found myself an hour down the interstate and look down and realize I have another gear there. I only use it for steady cruising above a true 75-80. (my speedo is off a good 8-10 mph at that speed)
  8. InsuredDisaster

Oddometer:
    :bow

Hehe, I've done that once or twice for a few minutes each time.

But from what I hear, the O/D light on the dash is activated by the engine's electronic control module, which on the Wee doesn't have the proper coding or something like that. I could be a bit confused on that part, but there is no readily available easy fix.
  9. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's correct. The Vee has a sixth-O/D gear indicator display. I'm sure Suzuki just shares the same part between the bikes.
  10. Jet Jaguar

Jet Jaguar King of the poseurs

Oddometer:
    Yeah, someone investigated the O/D light over on one of the V-Strom forums. All the necessary sensors and connections are in place, and the conclusion was that it was most likely disabled in the ECU software. In other words, there's no easy way to activate it. Too bad, if there were a way to enable it, it would help keep me from trying to shift into that ever-elusive 7th gear.
  11. BooneDog

Oddometer:
    DAMN THEM! And you KNOW they probably only have to change one line of code somewhere to make it work.
  12. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
  13. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
  14. jagec

jagec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to just hard-wire a connector from the sensor, to a relay, to the O/D light, bypassing the ECU.

But I have no clue what kind of signal those sensors put out, so...

I really wish mine worked, I'm FOREVER trying to shift into 7th.

Or maybe they just need a 7-speed transmission. The Wee really does rev too high on the freeway. IMHO the gears are spaced too closely for a non-sport bike. I wouldn't want 1st/2nd to be any taller, but I really wish 6th was.
  15. InsuredDisaster

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but the plans would allow you to build a unit for a few hours of your time plus a much smaller cost associated with the parts.

Don't think you could just hook up a relay.

But maybe I'm wrong.
  16. InsuredDisaster

Oddometer:
    I had to look up TRE as well.

Stands for Timing Retard Elimination.

17. jagec

jagec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...how about hooking a zener diode (or some other threshold-based circuitry) right before your relay? It would mean that the OD light would turn on in neutral, but that seems like a minor complaint to me. I might have to look into this.
  18. InsuredDisaster

Oddometer:
    I just got a little box of electrical parts. Suppossedly, if I connect them all together, I should end up with a GPI, or a bomb.:dunno

Stay tuned, results in a few days or a week.:thumb
  19. InsuredDisaster

Oddometer:
    Well, I started building the GPI today.
    [​IMG]
    (Granted, a bit bigger than I originally intended, by rather to two modules as I had planned, everything fits in one now.

The Diagram.:bow
    [​IMG]

What's inside my GPI.:baldy
    [​IMG]

IT IS ALIVE!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Wow, that is bright. How bright?

[​IMG] Map on the wall at 6 feet away, exposure on manual.

[​IMG]
    Everything is the same as before, however, I turned on the GPI Using a 12 volt power source.

Ok, how does it work? So-so. While the unit does indicate Nuetral, 1st, 6th very well, it fails to recognize 2nd gear. I'm guessing that there is a wire that might be crossed or something.:dunno Frankly, I'm just surprised it worked at all.

The inside is a real nightmare. I had to shove the entire circuit onto a
    1.5X1.5 inch bread board. So I've got wires jumping other wires. If I had used a cicuit board, it would be very neat and tidy. So I'm going to try to make my own circuit board next, as well as change some things about the way I went about assembling it.:bluduh I bought enough parts to build two GPI's for this very reason.
  20. BooneDog

Oddometer:
    Awesome man. You are there. Just fine tuning now. You know, I have a Custom Dynamics Voltage Monitor that has a remote LED.

You can see a photo of it here http://www.customdynamics.com/LED_battery_gauge.htm it's the
    LED Battery Gauge with Remote Flush Panel Mount LED

So the 'brains' are in a little box velcro'ed inside the faring, with a wire to the actual LED that I have displayed in a little dashboard by my ignition switch.

that is something you might think about, so you don't have to cram all your electronics into such a tiny space. If it's mounted in the fairing, with wires running out to however many LED's you really want to see(I think 6 might get irritating.) Whether you want all, or one, you could put the actual lights anywere you want. (how is it indicating neutral?)

Just a thought that might make it easier to get together.