Geek's Guide to Colorado.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Geek, Mar 8, 2010.

1. mswierse

mswierse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey 1TRAK, that is funny. I'm leaving with a group of 7 from west Michigan soon too ;-)
    1TRAK likes this.
  2. sunnyrollins

sunnyrollins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been up here for the past week or so - it is overwhelming. Also, so nuts with many mountain bikers, Jeeps, 4 wheelers, ATVs and hikers coming the opposite direction. Its a good thing seeing so many people outside, just adds a bit of concern when on the gas. Beautiful area! Up in Crested Butte.
  3. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    mswierse likes this.
  4. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're in that area make sure to check out the Blue Mesa reservoir and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP.
    BlueLghtning and 1TRAK like this.
  5. bugg77

bugg77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Geek, any recommendations for day loops out of Buena Vista?
  6. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post... We've ridden by Blue Mesa in 2012 but didn't have time to explore, looked like a gorgeous area . We were on our way to Silverton and had to return to Gunnison that night.
    We were able to explore the South Rim though and it was Magnificent.
    After that street ride we all decided to return on the dualsports, it's been 3 years and we're ready to ride!
    mswierse and timk519 like this.
  7. Rastapapa

Rastapapa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GEEK,
    WOW, your living the life I dream of! I kinda hate you! LoL, I used to live in Summit County, Blue River and I would sit on the deck of the cabin starring at the range wishing I had a motorcycle to explore the area in the summer time. Now I have a 950 and a 450EXC and live near the coast of Cal. Wishing I was back in the Colorado Mountains.
    It was assume to see your pictures and writings of your adventures, thanks!
  8. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Rock Liu

Oddometer:
    Woww..cool.What a band of brothers.Anyway,you guys were so brave.It was such a crazy adventure.
  9. BuffHunter

BuffHunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Late, but IN.
  10. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Check out my sig line link for my latest effort, I did a mini ride report for our local Florida riders.

- The CO Dirt Bike and Brew Tour 2015, 30 days, 1000 miles of trails and 14 different breweries!
    [​IMG]
    Johno33772 likes this.
  11. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    Geek, Thanks for sharing your experience with us lowly flat landers! I plan to ride out this summer for a couple of weeks. Probably late July or early August. I found this book yesterday while out riding. I will be a on the GSA and I know some roads are just too difficult for my skills. I've been out there three times and just got a taste of what there is to see and do.

[​IMG]

Bill

BMW R1200GSA
  12. BikerBill

Oddometer:
    I spent years flying cargo planes with a cabin altitude of 5,000-7,000 feet and that really helped me get used to being in the Rockies. But I recall how easily I was drained of energy on my first visit to Denver for training at United Airlines. Ten steps on the stairs in the hotel about knocked me down the first time I did it.

I've ridden in Colorado several times and I plan my visits so I'm staying in the 7,000-8,000 foot areas for several days before venturing up in the Fourteeners. Even then I must limit my time above 10,000-11,000 feet or I really bottom out. Below 10,000 and I'm okay as long as I don't have to pick up the bike too many times.

I attended training at Wright Patterson AFB in the 80's in the Altitude Chamber for a week. Really an eye opener. I went without oxygen for 25 minutes at 18,000 feet before I ran out of useful brain power(some would say I was low before I started). At 25,000 feet I was gone is seconds.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this! The photos are awesome!

Bill
  13. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill, Steve's book is the best one I have found and lets you know about all the good roads and scenic routes. Well purchased there my good Man

Marc
    BikerBill and KHVol like this.
  14. BikerBill

Oddometer:
    Marc,

I was out for a ride and stopped at Kick Stand motorcycle shop in Burgin, KY. They have some really good stuff that actually works. Like ROK Straps. They always have a nice selection of quality books too. After a quick browse thru Steve's book I was sold. I hope to get two weeks to ride to Colorado this summer. I'm a R1200GSA rider so single track isn't my cuppa tea, but gravel and dirt are pretty easy for me. Picking up the GS at over 8,000 feet isn't fun so I try not to drop it. You probably won't see me on top of Imogene Pass, but that's okay too. There is so much to see out there!

Bill
  15. Jeff Munn

Jeff Munn Just along for the ride..

Oddometer:
    Have read the entire thread and many thanks to Geek and everyone who contributed. One question though. What did happen to Geek? This thread started with such promise, delivered for a bit, then just ended. I do hope Geek is still around.
  16. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    Geek has a short attention span :D... between his new wife, new house in the mountains, work, a new jeep, a new Powered Wing, and farkeling his new jeep, he has disappeared from the two wheel threads.

He is now rabidly 4 wheeling around the state and can be found in this new thread he started:
    OT: question for you Jeep guys
    beachz likes this.
  17. leroua

leroua Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :muutt Only pride, praise the Lord!
  18. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Campground question for those familiar with USFS Collegiate Peaks on CR306 between Buena Vista and Cottonwood Pass.
    We will be out for 3 weeks or so and have reservations there for part of the trip latter part of June.
    So how is it?

We will also be at USFS Haviland Lake north of Durango and USFS Cascade also near Buena Vista prior to moving to Collegiate Peaks, have stayed at them before.
  19. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Hope it's OK, this is a great thread and this is the time of year to start your CO planning, I'll share my experience (cause I'm CO addicted and dreaming of this summers effort as I sit at the beach :jkam).

There are two proper camps on the way up from BV along with a some pull offs, pretty close together if I remember correctly, Hughes and Peaks are right off the road. I've never stayed there but did spend a night close on my way to CB. About 20 min from Eddieline Brewing CO. :evil and down town BV.

Pretty close to the top of the pass, full on the weekends, cold in the morning in June, vault shitters, water, no power - basic. Looked to be a popular spot for hikers heading out into the mountains?

I preferred Cascade near the Chalk Cliffs, did not stay there either but..... Last summer I spent 3 nights at the Mt Princeton CG that is very close to Cascade - but the camp is right on the river. Aside from that they are all offer similar amenities.
    [​IMG]
    I picked it (Mt. P Camp) because it's proximity to the river (I'm a total tourist), the other 2 did not look they had a river running through camp? Guessing everything else is similar. But all 3 are within a mile or so of each other. That location also a great starting spot for off road exploration if you want to ride around Tin Cup, St. Elmos and Mt. Antero......, more so than halfway up pass.

We really enjoy BV and the surrounding area. We have stayed at Ruby Mt on the AR river right at the entrance to Fourmile OHV as well.
    [​IMG]

This summer we booked 2 nights at Browns Canyon!:happay
  20. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made my reservations a good month ago and even that was too late to piece together a couple of weeks at Cascade, hence the move mid trip to Collegiate Peaks, and even there we have 5 nights at one campsite and have to move to another one for the next 5 nights!
    What I usually do is make reservations to insure I have some place to stay- then on arrival can sometimes find a better non-reservable site to switch to then no worries about when I have to leave. We did that in 2014 at Cascade- our reserved site was ok but we got in a great site that was first come first serve.

Plus - I turned 62 a few months ago so I get the fed owned campsites at half price:-)
    leroua likes this.