Geek's Guide to Colorado.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Geek, Mar 8, 2010.

1. ChrisP11

ChrisP11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for some good maps for some off-road riding. I'll probably be bringing my motocross bike, so it will not be street legal. Any suggestions of a good base for this type of riding?
  2. sotipnomon

sotipnomon Dont care till he does. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pulling this up from the depths. I'm planning my first trip to SW CO the last week of September and this thread is exactly what I needed. Thanks Geek! Even if you are distracted nowadays.
    Brown Dog likes this.
  3. everready

everready Retired!!!

Oddometer:
    Be prepared for nasty weather at altitude.
  4. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    +1 on Thanking Geek :bow

This thread really helped me prepare for my trip to San Juan Mtns way back in August of 2011 base camped in Silverton for 8 days of ADVenture :D

:thumb

I Love Me some Co Hi Country !!!

We left Telluride & up Top of Imogene Pass : it rained, BAD Lightning, Hailed & SNOWED covering the ground solid white the 3rd week of August before we could get down the Mtn to into Yankee Boy Basin.
    Wildest thing this Ga boy has ever experienced .
    Extorris and KHVol like this.
  5. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    Well the problem is now not only you Toursons that visit the state, but the 1 Million new residents that have relocated here in the last 10 years! If you like it here that's great. There's lots of open space yet and an incredible amount of it is open to enjoy. Just remember, STAY THE TRAIL or THEY'LL TAKE IT AWAY! Nothing worse than the publicity that follows someone being videoed or caught riding, or even hiking, off the marked trails. Especially at high altitudes where the tundra and wildflowers only get something ridiculous like 18 growing days per year. If it gets trampled it may not grow back for a 100 years. Think about that while you up there.

http://climate.colostate.edu/climate_long.html

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Turbodog1000 and everready like this.
  6. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wondering how my post about my camping 2 years ago has generated your rant about tourists not staying on the trail?
    I assure you, you won't find a more responsible careful trail user than me- I did volunteer trail maintenance for years for the USFS.
  7. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    It wasn't a rant just a PSA for this thread in general. Pointing out why it's harder to get reservations because of the increased numbers of people visiting and relocating. There is a constant pressure from many groups to close more and more land every year. Oh, and there's plenty of resident idiots that ought to know better and don't. Some caught recently in a side by side "mudding" through a pristine alpine lake.
  8. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    It's always the locals that tear it up off trail here. The ones I know are proud they won't be told what to do by Sierra Club types..

I have been planning a San Juan trip for 3 years.. looks like next year for sure! Will my 690 get vandalized for having CA plates?

BTW.. I'm not a Toursons I'm not even a Kalifornian.. I just live there. :dllama:
  9. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    Leave ANY bike unattended in Colorado Springs and it will be gone in 60 seconds.

10. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just back from a big Colorado loop. First time to Dinosaur Nat Mon. Wow. [​IMG]
    Brown Dog and DaleE like this.