GEESE ARE ASSHOLES! Knocked off my bike by a goose.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by PAULIBIKER, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Taurkon

Taurkon Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I first started riding, I had a goose take flight from the side of the road and impacted me while I was riding at ~ 80kph. I caught a glimpse of it out of the corner of my eye and put my head down and impacted it with the top of my helmet. I still remember seeing it tumble into the ditch on the other side of the road from my mirror thinking the bastard got what he deserved. My neck was quite sore for a few days though....
  2. Merfman

Merfman Cape truster... Supporter

Oddometer:
    True dat! Had a really close call with a TV just outside Marathon a couple weeks ago... 2/3 flew to the right and off the road while dumbass decided a trip in front of a S10 was prudent. Full ABS lockup and head down behind the Madstad as he casually fluffed his way upward... I was awaiting the load-lightening regurgitation...

Wanna see a funny story with geese? Check out Ron White's latest "If you'll stop listening I'll stop talking" - FAF IMO
  3. Bobsguys

Bobsguys n00b

Oddometer:
    That sucks, good thing you didn't get to banged up when it knocked you off your bike!

A few years back, I had a goose attack my 3 year son when we were feeding bread to the ducks at a local pond. I punted it. Seems all the geese that were there we suddenly very offended by my son and I and started heading our way.

I didn't like the odds with the boy there, so I grabbed him up and left haha.
  4. ManiZ

ManiZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You didn't chop the throttle when you saw the bird, did you? May be a better strategy would've been to....goose it.
    brgsprint, garfey and redneckK20 like this.
  5. Ahdogee4

Ahdogee4 n00b

Oddometer:
    Back in the '90's, I spent several years living in Schaumburg IL.
    I had no opinions on geese prior to moving there.
    I left with the firm conviction that the only good goose is a dead one.
    Some stories from that time:

- A few months prior to my arrival, the Motorola campus was so infested with goose crap, that employees were tracking it into the buildings. They hired a contractor to pressure spray *all* the paved surfaces of the campus.

- I used to do a lot of cycling on the paved path in Ned Brown Preserve (aka Busse Woods). There was so much goose crap on the path, that I installed full fenders on both of my bikes.

- While cycling home from work one day, a goose with goslings ran up onto the path and launched a head-on attack at me. Just as the dumb thing went airborne, one brake lever on my handlebars caught it in the chest and knocked it backward out of the air.

- Geese seem to have this dumb "If danger -> get to water" reflex, even if getting to water means leaving a safe area and bolting in front of an oncoming bicycle. One dumb goose did that one day, with the result being that I ran right over it. It felt like I'd run over a football, and I caught some air before safely landing. Last seen, it was sitting in the pond squawking unhappily.

- Some businesses were acquiring pairs of swans to put in their ponds. The idea being that swans are very territorial, and don't tolerate other birds in their pond. This resulted in a new crime: Swan-napping by unscrupulous people who wanted swans for the same reason.

Now I'm living in the Denver metro area, and the geese are getting as bad as the Chicago burbs. The new US36 Bikeway seems to be a favorite place for the geese to crap. I read recently that not only do the local geese not migrate, but we have *more* geese in the winter because some of them migrant from the North to spend the winter here.
  6. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle + crockett mallet = Geese Polo. Also a good way to practice maneuverability skills.
    rob1313 and brgsprint like this.
  7. Ahdogee4

Ahdogee4 n00b

Oddometer:
  8. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cat's that are let outside are one of the greatest demators of wildlife - the geese were prtotecting themselves and their young - why is that an asshole?
  9. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    you got in the wrong spot - call it even and be a good sport.
  10. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Country clubs are a big problem - geese are migrating birds. I like the business plan though.
  11. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. thanosgp

thanosgp Xr rules

Oddometer:
    :imaposer