Geico adventure rally Nov 7-10 2019 Julian, CA

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by LordMorgan, Oct 15, 2019.

1. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Who else is going? I'm signing up but I don't have a team

And does anyone know of a discount code? :ricky
  2. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going. Don't think there's any discounts, but the "Meal Package" seems like a good deal. I went last year and had a great time. If your serious about competing you should expect a lot of time on the bike and lotsa road miles to bag all of the rally points. We rode as far away as the Salton Sea and the Mexican Border at Tecate. Got to see a bunch of places I'd never been to.

You might want to check the rally website on the FAQ page where there's a link to a spreadsheet of solo riders looking for teams. All different types of bikes and rider skills listed - some want a faster pace, others not so much.
  3. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, I'm the one who started the email yesterday :D

I'm probably gonna have 50/50 tires on, more like 60/40 dirt oriented, but i can still hang on the highway if we go 70. I was hoping there would be lots of checkpoints in the hills north and south of Julian (and maybe one at Stone brewery in Esco lol) because going east towards borrego/salton sea is a whole lotta deep soft silty sand. Palomar mtn is a really fun ride too and if there are dirt trails up in that area I'd love to hit em.

If you dont already have a team I'd like to ride with you, I'm not sure whats going on with Steve if he has other friends hes going to ride with or if he and I are still putting together a team
  4. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode it last year and Palomar Mountain was the western edge of the map and Salvation Mountain was the Eastern edge. Mexico obviously was the southern border and there wasn't anything more north really then Palomar across to the Salton sea. There is plenty of any type of riding you want to do from technical 450 cc stuff, to easier dirt for big bikes, and even all pavement if that suits you. Now they did say the map is suppose to be new with more points so it could be a larger map this year who knows.
    LordMorgan likes this.
  5. Media

Media livin' in overtime

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun - look forward to seeing you there.

Happy Trails
    LordMorgan likes this.
  6. BoomerE30

BoomerE30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, any idea if anything of this sort happens in the NorCal region?
  7. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I must say this was the best rally I've ever been to. Everything from atart to finish was awesome, free beer the first night, catered breakfast and dinner, fun activities, excellent riding, great guest speakers and raffle prizes, live music, the BDR movie... I had a great time and I encourage everyone reading this to attend next year. For pics look up #advrally on Instagram, there's hundreds
    rgiroux likes this.
  8. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, we had a blast, too. OK, not on Saturday - 14 miles of sand, only took 4 hours :)
    Otherwise, a well run, fun long weekend. Really liked the Redneck Rodeo, too.
  9. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was a great event.

The catered food option (breakfast and dinner each nite) was golden and meant more time to wander around and BS with other riders and vendors. The self-directed scavenger hunt approach meant very little dust and gave teams a chance to choose (or avoid) the tougher sections. Riders from all over the US, Canada and elsewhere made things interesting and some teams were all-in on racking up points whilst others took it a bit easier. Various bike challenge "adventure games" at camp, great entertainment and worthwhile raffle items made the evenings fun.
    (Side note: I do think they should rename Grapevine Canyon to something like "Humble Valley" for all the victims of the soft sand. :muutt

See you next year.

The "Snake Dude"