General map of unpaved roads in vicinity of Atlanta & southwest NC

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Commodore, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Commodore

Commodore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now I get to well-and-truly embarrass myself by sharing my OCD road map covering a lot of area near Atlanta, around the Talladega National Forest, and southwest NC/extreme east TN. (My lame excuse is that this gives me something to do when it's raining buckets outside.)

To answer the "why?" more honestly: I wanted to do something that got me thinking more actively/creatively about where to ride. I have been looking over many preplanned tracks here (and they're fantastic) and after starting to look at satellite imagery one day, I just started plotting lines, and then it grew into this crazy thing.

Not GPX, yet, as I happened to start it on Google My Maps and have been maintaining it there. I'd rather save GPX for actual ride tracks anyway. (GMM can export KML/KMZ though.)

Map link. Commentary welcomed, including if it's "you're insane." I've come to terms with that. :lol3

Line or point descriptions are added where I've been to the location and have commentary for it. I try to keep note of road conditions (with date) for the places I do visit. Individual plotted points in road layers mean that I identified a road to add to the layer, but haven't charted it as line segments yet.

Interesting discoveries? Not much. Though after looking in the area around Monticello, GA and the Piedmont NWR south of it, I think I've found one more self-contained playground.
    Buildzall and TGOT like this.
  2. Abrahamster

Abrahamster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool!
    NextAdventre likes this.
  3. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, you even have a legend! Worth getting the GSA off road maybe as some of these look suitable for that. Nice work!
  4. Commodore

Commodore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heh thanks. As with any map, there may be errors, I may be classifying something as more well-maintained (yellow) when it is actually soft and muddy or rough (black), and some roads may be private or otherwise closed. Feel free to send over corrections, additions, or your observations of a road's conditions.

Some points and lines also have notes about road quality and such if you click them, for things friends and I have tackled.
    Gadgetech likes this.
  5. UncleFappy

UncleFappy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for all of this. I'm new to the Adv/DS world and for the last few years have been taking my Vulcan Vaquero up to Two Wheels of Suches, Tellico Plains etc. I'm looking at your maps and realized I didn't know what I was missing! Coming up (from Spring Hill Florida) this spring, will definitely ride my KLR up and check out your work in person! Thanks again.
  6. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the wide world of ADV! You may already know the Smoky Mth 500, a great intro to gravel travel in the area connecting TWO and Tellico Plains & beyond. Have fun! - M

Attached Files:

7. Commodore

Commodore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know most of the segments in the route, yes, but thanks for the loop route recommendation! (I have some scouring of the GPX forums to do still.)
  8. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ran this through GPS Visualizer and here is a GPX file of all these roads.

Attached Files:

Buildzall likes this.
  9. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is a ton of work and time! Thank you so much.
  10. AuburnKLR

AuburnKLR n00b

Oddometer:
    This is awesome. I live between Newnan and Peachtree City and i have been hunting some routes for Sunday riding near me. This works great. Thanks!