Genuine Buddy Eclipse

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by tortoise2, Oct 7, 2016.

1. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a Buddy with a blackout kit and 10 inch wheels. Do you have more details?
    Tromper likes this.
  3. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Theyve been re-hashing the same scooter now for...,well too long. Time for sumpin' new from GSC.
    Phil McCaleb's leadership is sorely missed by this Genuine Scooter fan these days.
    Trucker jay, Dabears and Chillis like this.
  4. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dare I say, looks good, but as the old saying goes " .....the more things change the more they stay the same..."
  5. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 125 at 220 lbs might be fun, my 155 weighs 100 lbs more, more power less weight means more fun, at least to me.
  6. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed, looks like more of the same to me. I'd be more interested in something like a grown up version of their Venture. Maybe with both wheels at 16". Only Kymco, & SYM are doing the bigger wheel scoots in this country at the moment. The HD has some ?'s about reliability, & they Kymco's a bit large for some folks; albeit I kinda like them.
  7. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't want another matte black scooter. I've had 2, and just don't like the look any more. The matte black makes it look like a black blob, and obscures the styling. However, I like the Buddy, and I also like things that stay the same for a long time. I see no reason the Buddy design couldn't last another 20 years. Usually when you modernize a motor vehicle it come out looking worse. I'd like to see the manual shift Stella come back. It was the only new manual shift scooter in the whole world.

My HD200 Has had no reliability issues at all. Parts from Alliance can be an issue, but the HD200 is sold all over the world, and there are other places to get parts than from the U.S importer.
  8. tortoise2

Oddometer:
    The Lemonhead limited edition mentality is debatable.

[​IMG]
  9. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah but there's a sweet story behind the lemon head special edition
    If you bought parts from scooter works you know it
  10. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, and other Ferrara Pan candies (Atomic Fireballs come to mind).

Needless to say, that was then and this is now. A special edition is one thing, but a decades worth of them on the same product means the product is long in the tooth IMO.
  11. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Again being long in the tooth is not necessarily a bad thing. What's wrong with it? It's a wonderful scooter for it's size. Does it actually need any improvements or upgrades? It is a proven design and it works. My only issue with it is one I have with any other scooter of it's size. It's not freeway capable. If I needed a city only scooter, the Buddy 125 would be my first choice. I do wish they would quit making all these special editions and just keep making regular ones, though I did like the international editions.

The Cessna 172 has been built with almost no changes since 1955. It is still the best selling lightweight single engine aircraft out there. The same things that made it great way back then still make it great today. The Russian Soyuz spacecraft was first used in 1967. It is still in use today. Meanwhile our high tech space shuttle program, which was first used in 1981, was canceled after 30 years, but not before killing 14 people. The Soyuz is still in use and probably will be for some time to come.

Just because something is old doesn't mean it isn't any good anymore. Many times it is in use for a long time simply because it works, and works extremely well, like the Buddy.
    MJSfoto1956 and davide like this.
  12. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are selling a new one called kick, I believe. 125cc 4 valve dual disk brakes maybe the same physical size as the buddy.
  13. RoaringTodd

RoaringTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How'd you get that picture? Dealers are not supposed to release those pictures.
  14. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simply put, GSC fans and dealers have been asking for, and been teased with a fuller sized, freeway legal scooter for years and keep getting re-dressed Buddy's in return. The upshot is, many who began their scooting careers on the superb Buddy, move onto other brands as they progress up the displacement ladder leaving Buddy scooters as a gateway scooter for many. A starter scooter if you will. They (GSC) need to up their game in terms of offerings to keep their customers and stay viable. Re-hashed Buddys don't do that. Even Cessna has produced different (really different) models over the years.
  15. Buster Grumpy

Buster Grumpy Sucker for "great deals"

Oddometer:
    It's on the genuine website. Click the link.
  16. RoaringTodd

RoaringTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it is!

17. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Yes, Cessna builds business jets. I didn't mean GSC shouldn't build something else besides the Buddy. IMO, the Buddy is to physically small to be freeway legal. It looks very small next to the GT200 and HD200. They did build the Blur 220, for some reason it wasn't successful. It didn't seem fast enough for it's displacement, and was not a step through. Even the Buddy 170 was way slower than the HD200, which is only a 163cc. They also have the Hooligan 170, which seems to have been a failure. Part of the problem may be that GSC relies on PGO to build their scooters, and maybe they cannot build the larger scooter that Genuine needs. And it might be difficult for Genuine to develop a relationship with another manufacturer. I would like to see a larger, maybe 200 or 250cc scooter that is just an upscaled Buddy or Hooligan. Something more the size of the GT200 or HD. But it needs to be totally freeway capable, which to me means being able to hold at least 75 mph on a level road. Maxi scooters seem to have fallen out of favor, and there is also enough competition in that area.
  18. tortoise2

Oddometer:
    Genuine motorcycle.
  19. JerryH

Oddometer:
    That's a nice little bike. But I have seen a couple of like new low mileage Yamaha SR400s show up on the local Craigslist for under $4k. Probably bought by someone who decided that the kickstart was more than they could handle. I've noticed that prices for non Japanese branded Taiwanese bikes are reaching Japanese levels. Yet they don't have quite the same quality, and they definitely don't have the name recognition or resale value. I have been unable to sell my HD200 because people think it is Chinese, and don't want to pay what it is worth. Looks like I'm stuck with it. I can get a leftover Suzuki S40 for what that Genuine bike costs, and it's 650cc.
  20. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    The Genuine G400C will be built by Shineray in China.

Latest update is the 2016 launch has been pushed back to 2017.

Not wanting to get into a China quality discussion, just providing some clarification that this will not be a PGO sourced vehicle.