Genuine Hooligan 170i Official thread!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by longhaul747, Apr 17, 2014.

1. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    747, Best of luck to you!

I am interested in a 2014, in green. Would be happy for one that will cruise at 55-60, and top out at 65-68. On the particular machine I am looking at the owner says he hits 62-63 with his 275#. The bike has 1800 miles in it. What are owners seeing as cruising speed? Does the hand full of extra cc's help some on the hills?

My former scooter was a Vespa LX 150. The frame was a tad small for two up riding. The wifey hated where her feet were suppose to go. Even added aftermarket foot pegs thinking would help. She just wasn't comfortable.

So I was wondering if any body has done any two up riding?
  2. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I did buy the Hooligan I mentioned in my last post. I met the seller 1/2 way. When he arrived the scooter was clean with new tires. He had done an oil change and filled the tank with gas. On CL he presented this as mint condition. I couldn't find any flaws, there wasn't even any bug guts on the body.
    When researching price on this I went to NADA's site. They didn't list any values for this used. We agreed on $1,800 which was his asking price. Adding in all that is mentioned above I think he took a beating, miles are at 1988

This guy was 6'4". When he rode up he was sitting on the rear most part of the seat with his feet up on the cowl not the flat floor, said he could ride for hours like that.

When we were cleaning out the pet carrier I noticed how much cooler it was compared to the Vespa and this was after a 60 mile ride in 90* tempature weather.

First impression this is a large frame scooter. The wifey is 5'9" and I am 6' we both fit with space between us. On the LX I had to sit right on the front of the seat crowding the dash/ handlebars. Not so with this machine. Next door to us is a school parking lot. Spent a little time doing slow speed maneuvers getting use to how it handles clutch engagement brake feel, balance. Haven't taken it out on the road yet as I need to get it plated and registered in my name.

Now to start an adventure on my own.
  3. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode it again. Really liking this soulful sound from the exhaust at about 10-15 mph. It gets washed out by all the other sounds at higher speeds.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just sat on one of these a few day ago at the local dealer. I'm 6-2 and find the riding position comfortable unlike many small scooters where my knees hit the handlebars. I just wish they would stop cheaping out on the paint job on these things. I'll be looking to replace my Super 8 at some point and I won't rule out getting one of these.
  5. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got about 60 miles on it since getting it road legal. Getting good comments about the matte look. All the previous comments about comparing the Hooligan and the Zuma are unfortunate. They are really two different products in a newly marketed niche segment. Everything on the Zuma is smaller everything on the Hooligan is larger. When standing next to the Zuma I never think of even trying to ride two up, it's just that the Hooligan just doesn't look bigger yet the seat is much bigger. I really like the bigger size without the maxi look.

Can't wait to get a serious ride in and test my limits on the seat. An hour or so will tell.
  6. The PacRat

The PacRat I'm that other guy

Oddometer:
    Read this thread a couple of times now - really interested in the Hooligan! I am 6'3" - any problem for tall riders? Any tall owners have pics of you on the bike? Also, will FF Helmet fit under seat? Anybody tried a short run on the Freeway yet or just too slow?
  7. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The previous owner of mine is 6'4" and made me promise to give him first chance to buy it back if I ever sold it. No to the FF under the seat.
  8. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bravada- how 'bout some pictures of your Hooligan? I've always thought they were cool, but a lot of folks have probably never seen one in the flesh (I have, and thought they looked great!)
  9. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    First photo showing the switch blade pilon pegs.
    Second stock bar end weights and great feeling grips
    Third dash that is the only area that I would recommend a complete re-do. Too much border.
    Fourth rear three quarter, showing the rear disk brake, and great sounding muffler. Here you can see how the inner cowl is a secondary option for feet.
  10. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First led turn signals, low beam on top, high on bottom. Only one on at a time. Wave front rotor.
    Second nice size pet carrier. Bottom better detail of the wave rotor
  11. The PacRat

The PacRat I'm that other guy

Oddometer:
    Great pics - nice looking scoot. Trunk looks large - too bad about no room for FF Helmet. But a few groceries would sure fit!
  12. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice big floor, I would like punch out the front and add the lights DOT is so afraid of and big wide giggle free mirrors
  13. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Your under seat storage is much better than my SYM, and I like the open glovebox area as well. Looks like a great scooter. Should be able to ride tha heck out of it for years!
  14. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can also confirm a rear brake line that is braided SS.
  15. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those looking for two up riding info the seat is 30" long.
  16. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday my son rode the scooter back and forth in front of the house.
    Got to see and hear it from another perspective. The sound at a distance is just loud enough. When passing it doesn't sound all choked off. While well under the "saving lives" threshold.
  17. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does any one know if PGO Hot x cowl lights fit?
  18. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suspension:

When I first got my LX150 it hit a ripple ( not a full on pot hole) in the road. It was dusk and I was approaching a set of 2 RR tracks. This ripple was the result of a old repair around a man hole cover. I hit it about 25-30 mph.
    Man could I feel my fillings in my teeth and did my butt hurt. Never knew them to be connected. The suspension bottomed out and made a loud protesting sound. Actually I could swear that someone suddenly replaced my seat with a wooden plank.

Well I purposely had taken that same street twice to review the Hooligans ability. The report is that it handled it much much better. The results was so much better after the first try that I made a mental note to give a second try when in the area again. Again it was No where close to bottoming out. And I am pleased to report no butts were harmed during these tests thanks to the Hooligan.
  19. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Getting ready for this year's riding season. Note the oil change is super simple. Really great access to the drain bolt. And easy access to the oil filter screen. It is a fine mesh SS screen that is "washed" and reinstalled. Now we could have a discussion over the merits of filtering the oil with a spin on filter or fine screen. But it really doesn't matter here because it is what it is .

Compared to an oil change on a Vespa LX where the owners manual directs you to remove the exhaust system the design of the Hooligan is much simpler. Next change the gear oil and clean the ail filter. Checking the tires and tire pressure (30 psi both front and rear seems to work best) followed with a good spring grunge removal.
  20. dowlf

dowlf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to change out the headlight for something brighter, but haven't quite figured out how to get at it. I took a bunch of screws out but I was afraid of breaking plastic when I tried to get in there.