Genuine Hooligan 170i Official thread!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by longhaul747, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Alph_Sweep

Alph_Sweep n00b

Oddometer:
    Easton CT up the CT River Valley to Central VT
    Good day. Friday August 4 I am taking a train to new Haven, CT one way and riding home on a new Hooligan in silver titanium. This will be my 3rd scoot in 9 years, started with a Vespa LX150, traded it in at 20k miles on a Stella (2T) which recently had a death in the engine. I want to thank the contributors to this forum for helping me make what I hope is a wise choice. More to come.
    Smaug1, pnw and klaviator like this.
  2. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Monkey Vespa Man

Oddometer:
    This look it would be a nice upgrade over my Zuma125
  3. Alph_Sweep

Alph_Sweep n00b

Oddometer:
    Hooligan crop view.jpg IMG_0810.JPG

The silver is sleek. Even sleeker when the Hooligan sticker fell off the side. It was a 30 mile ride cross country to get it home in Easton from New Haven. I am so used to riding the manual scooter, that I was constantly looking for the foot rear brake, and going for the clutch. Uphill starts are so eeeeeasy. The bike has a nice ride, for 230 pound 6'2" rider.

One thing of note. The headlight does not turn with the handlebars.
  4. =retread=

=retread= more MPG

Oddometer:
    who makes these ? they look a lot like the lance cabo with actual 170cc motor made by sym. GalleryThumb_Cabo200i_9.jpg GalleryThumb_Cabo200i_12.jpg
  5. Alph_Sweep

Alph_Sweep n00b

Oddometer:
    That looks a lot like the Hooligan, made in Taiwan by PGO. Offspring of the PGO B1 and the B2 models.

But the turn signals on the handlebars do not look quite the same. The mystery continues.

6. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty similar to the lance. But...
    Motor Scooter Guide claims 15 HP @7000 rpm on the Hooligan power plant, which would be pretty good for an air-cooled 170ish. The Genuine site didn't list the HP/Torque so tough to say, but the Piaggio Liberty's 155cc claims 12.9/9.6 @6500 so not unthinkable. Anyone have real data?
    Lance/SYM/Alliance claim 11.8/9.6 ft lbs @7500 for theirs which would be more in line with other air-cooled motors.
    The SYM states weight of 240 lbs vs. the Hooligan's 278, but we all know how reliable a lot of these weights are particularly when the companies tend to get hazy about wet weight vs. dry weight.
    Wheel size is these same, seat height similar. Gas tank appears to be bigger on the Genuine.
    It'd be interesting to see 'em out side by side, but the Genuine dealer's about 6-7 miles from the SYM dealer & I don't own either of 'em so not likely to happen.

7. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I purchased mine, the PO only used Dino based oil. When I changed the motor and gear box I switched to full synthetic . It actually made a difference in top end. The gear box oil that PGO uses was thick like honey! I changed it at 2000 miles. That probably made the biggest improvement in increasing the top end.

One of the hidden adavantages of the mat finish is how easy it is to maintain.
    You will appreciate it the longer you own it.

Still would like to do some multi day trips.
  8. Alph_Sweep

Alph_Sweep n00b

Oddometer:
    Question on the oil filter mesh. When it is advised to 'wash the screen', use what? Gasoline (petrol), kerosene, new oil, soap and water, air gun?
  9. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    I use gas or kerosene, then hit it with the air gun.
    Alph_Sweep likes this.
  10. Tromper

Oddometer:
    Brake cleaner followed with a shot of WD40 usually, sometimes just WD40 if I'm out of brake cleaner. Really anything will work to knock the debris out. After the first couple oil changes you shouldn't get much to speak of so not really doing much but cleaning off a little dirty oil
  11. jacoboA

jacoboA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That seems really really dumb. And it sounds like you thought about it a long time.
  12. Tromper

Oddometer:
    Troll much?
    pilot likes this.
  13. Buster Grumpy

Buster Grumpy Sucker for "great deals"

Oddometer:
    Looks like he's running at 60% troll in his 5 posts.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Based on everything this guy has posted I think we have a troll.

[​IMG]
    pilot likes this.
  15. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
  16. Alph_Sweep

Alph_Sweep n00b

Oddometer:
    Troll is a pity. To jump this back on task, let me report the bike developed a bad habit of not starting. Turn the key, the ignition runs but no engine. A few tries later it would fire right up. Then work the next 2 or 3 times, then fail. Hot or cold, it wouldn't matter. At 550 miles. So took it to the dealer, let them try it....ahh, it wouldn't start for him. Let's see if New Haven Powersports (CT) can shine on this situation.
  17. jacoboA

jacoboA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for coming off like a troll. I have very little tolerance for idiotic posts.
    Spark or fuel? What was missing?
  18. Alph_Sweep

Alph_Sweep n00b

Oddometer:
    Still standing by...ignition switch replaced. warranty work. Picking back up this weekend
  19. Alph_Sweep

Alph_Sweep n00b

Oddometer:
    Hooligan back in action. The guy at the shop advised that at 600 miles, let it run. Full throttle. I can do that!
  20. tenorzuma

tenorzuma Hill Scooter Adventures

Oddometer:
    Thinking about one of these any updates on how they are?