Genuine Hooligan 170i Official thread!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by longhaul747, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Alph_Sweep

Alph_Sweep n00b

Oddometer:
    Easton CT up the CT River Valley to Central VT
    They have a nice sound. I get 80 +mpg. The pet carrier box is mid size, probably does not fit a full face helmet.
    Whatever you do, remove those Hooligan side name plates
  2. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    How long did the Stella last? I have one with just over 10,000 miles. One neat thing about the Stella is that it can be repaired forever, and even rebuilt with upgraded parts. Vespa P series parts fit it and there are tons of those available. I plan to keep mine forever, no matter how many times I have to repair or rebuild it. Best of luck with the new Hooligan. While the Hooligan does not require the long break in that the Stella does, I would keep it on the slow side for the first couple hundred miles.
  3. tenorzuma

tenorzuma Hill Scooter Adventures

Oddometer:
    I can't find a Hooligan in NH to go check out there is one in MA though, We have two Zuma 125s what I would like to know is do they have a little more power and more room? Did you compare the two? Thanks..
  4. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    125cc/232 pounds versus 169cc/272 pounds . . what's your guess?
  5. tenorzuma

Oddometer:
    I want to know from someone who has had or tried out both. I have heard there is not much difference. Spec's don't always tell.
  6. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son has the 125 Zuma. It feels like it's 7/8 the size of the Hooligan. If you ever are thinking of two up the Zuma would be very cramped. The previous generation Zuma looked heavy with that big tail flap. The Hooligan has more visual appeal. The matt paint finish earns many compliments and is easy to take care of.
    Note the hydraulic rear brake on the Hooligan and the weight only comes into play when you are going to carry it.
  7. tenorzuma

Oddometer:
    Thank you that was a big help.
  8. tenorzuma

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 2015 left over to add to the fleet. Love it so far.
  9. bravada

bravada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sort of sad. The PO call me up and wanted to buy the Hooligan back. I said only if he gave me what I paid him for it. He was all over it. I wasn't using it as much as I wanted to. Where else can you have so much fun and so little cost.

One comical thing. About a month after the deal he called me saying he was having problems. The scooter wasn't returning to idle when he let go of the throttle. He wanted to know it I had the problem. I chuckled to myself as I forgot to tell him I added a hair scroungie as a throttle drag/ cruise control. I told him how nice it was to be able to relax the right hand / wrist after riding a while. I indicated that he didn't have to take it in for service just get a pick and remove it. After another month he told me that he is getting use to it and rather likes it and is beginning to see how his wrist feels and is more relaxed. No new prospects on the horizon at this time.
    I do have a restored Solex frame in the basement with the motor in pieces in a box. Only need to order a few parts (<$70) and put it back together. May pick up my sons 09 Zuma. We'll see.
  10. tenorzuma

Oddometer:
    I got mine just a week ago it is a 2015 left over they have another 2015 $2700 OTD Wagner Motorsports Worcester MA..
  11. dowlf

dowlf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got mine in 2014, so about 4 years ago. I just passed 10,000 trouble-free miles on it. It has held up well. It is easy to maintain and dirt cheep on insurance, taxes and gas. It is awesome to haul stuff with. I use it for most of my shopping when weather permits. It has enough juice to get around town just fine, but if it only had like a 250 in it, it would be perfect. I love the bike, I can easily see another 10,000 miles with it in the next 4 years.

hooligan.jpg
    Hittman, MJSfoto1956 and klaviator like this.
  12. tenorzuma

Oddometer:
    After 300miles on the Hooligan I now see the Zuma 125 was good enough my wife is about 30lbs lighter than me and she can blow me away on take off with her Zuma 125 there really isn't that big a difference. It's nice but not a up grade from a 125 Zuma.. at all I ride my Zuma more than the Hooligan.
  13. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pulled the Hooligan out of storage and the original battery almost started the scoot but then quickly petered out. Charged it up again and I get one good crank out of it then dead. So new battery time!

Original lasted just shy of 4 years which is not bad I guess. Especially for a cheaper battery. Looks like the Genuine's don't come with a Yuasa battery but a cheap Taiwanese or Chinese battery. Plan to put in a Yuasa this time around.

Still have the Hooligan. Its potentially one of the scoots on the chopping block when the Cub 125's arrive but not yet decided. One thing I really like about the Hooligan is its not to small or to big. Its got plenty to get around but still returns 80+ MPG fuel economy and easy to ride. At least I will have 6 months to decide!
  14. Hittman

Hittman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Genuines come with either a yuasa or a GS battery depending on the model. Either are very good batteries if taken care of.
  15. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, mine is a generic battery of Chinese or Taiwanese origin and is factory activated and does not say much on it. A bunch of Chinese lettering and says in English "Sealed MF Battery" on it!

Maybe the dealer swapped it during prep?

Oh well it lasted 4 years which is not great for a well cared for battery but not unheard of either. Replacing it with a Yuasa battery. New battery arrives from Amazon tomorrow and I will have to prep it and charge it. I am confident the Yuasa will last at least 4 years and likely longer!
    Hittman likes this.
  16. Hittman

Hittman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah the dealer must've done that. Either way 4 years is a great lifespan for that! I know the Venture comes with a China battery so maybe that's what they had prepped at the time so they threw that in.
  17. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the new battery installed. Starts and runs great!

I think the old battery had been on the way out for some time. Often it would have a momentary pause when cranking and a few times it never made it past the compression stroke. Had to try again and it always seems to get passed it and start. I suspect the selling dealer never properly prepped the battery and/or it was just a weak battery to begin with.

Noticed during clean up and inspection the handlebar cover has a fatigue crack by the mountain screw on the right side under the brake lever. Also noticed a chunk had broken away. Its mostly out of site and out of mind but curious what went wrong? Noticed a cable passing through an opening but no stress as far as I can tell on that cable. Found the broken piece in the storage pocket and found the plastic thin and brittle. As if the scooter has spent a long time in the sun but mine is rarely parked in the sun.

This afternoon I wanted to price a replacement handle bar cover and possibly order it if it was not that expensive. However it appears no online sources for parts (especially body) parts seems to exist for Genuine. A few sources out there have random bits and pieces but hardly anything for parts. Now days this kind of upsets me and the nearest Genuine dealer is in downtown and I never go there!

Sadly do to lack of support in my area the Hooligan will likely be on the chopping block. Overall its a pretty good scooter if a tad bit over rated but still great. I need to thin the herd anyway. Originally I was trying to figure out how to keep them all for now and bring in some new entry's in the next 6 months but it would be best that I part with it. Its the only real odd ball left in my fleet!
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yuasa & GS are the same battery...as is Motocross batteries.

Most small Yuasa batteries are made in Taiwan.

Taiwanese (R.O.C.) parts are miles ahead of Chinese (P.R.O.C.) parts.
    Hittman likes this.
  19. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the Buddy 170 have the same engine as the Hooligan? I just found a nice one cheap.
  20. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as I know YES!

The only differences are the Hooligan has a longer transmission case and does not have an external oil filter which the Buddy 170 has.