Genuine Hooligan 170i Official thread!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by longhaul747, Apr 17, 2014.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stopped by my favorite dealer today. I have bought 2 Yamaha Scooters from them, they also sell Kawasaki and Genuine scooters. They had a Hooligan in the showroom so I checked it out as I will be buying a small scooter sometime this year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be fair, there are other scooters higher on my list but I haven't written off the Hooligan. This scooter has the best ergonomics of any of the small scooters for a tall guy like me and a great seat. I asked the sales manager what the OTD price would be and he basically quoted me teh MSRP OTD. I wish all dealers were like this one.

Back to the Hooligan. Underseat storage seemed good but not great.

[​IMG]

Unlike many of the other small scooter this one has a real oil filter.

I also checked out the service intervals.

[​IMG]

Oil change every 1800 and filter 3600 miles isn't bad. I'd probably put in a high quality synthetic and extend that some.

[​IMG]

The valve adjustment interval is a little strange. Clean it at 3600 and inspect at 5400:scratch

So a couple of questions for you owners out there. What kind of top speed will this do?

How hard is it to check/adjust the valves?

And last. There were some reports of these overheating and going into a low power mode. Has anyone experienced this? My local dealer has sold a number of these and said none have been brought back with any problems.
    CROSSBOLT, fratermus and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  2. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure how you feel about replacing the engine idle speed every 10,800 miles - or is it kilometers?
    Its nice to have too many choices in small scooters and small motorcycles after decades of complaining we didn't get the good stuff.
    klaviator likes this.
  3. Alph_Sweep

Alph_Sweep n00b

Oddometer:
    Easton CT up the CT River Valley to Central VT
    Just a reminder to save you a heart attack on the road. The red oil light comes on the dashboard panel at 3000 Km. Somewhere just short of 1875 miles, and I assume every 3000 km thereafter. Reset it by holding down the left dashboard button for 3 seconds or more, then the right one for 3 seconds or more.

Q on top speed? I have hit 72 mph on the speedometer, which is probably 67 gps speed. I wouldn't ride all day at that. But I fell good cruising at 58 to 60 mph on the speedometer.
    fratermus likes this.
  4. tenorzuma

tenorzuma Hill Scooter Adventures

Oddometer:
    I love my Hooligan. Was very badly injured back in 2003 not wanting to give up riding 84% dead below the waist. I tried riding everything out there the Hooligan is the only bike that is comfortable and I could ride all day on. It took 15 years and thousands of dollars to get to this little beauty. But Genuine why no hand guards?
  5. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am considering purchasing a Genuine Hooligan, but have been looking at the Yamaha Zuma 125. Since you have owned both, I wonder if you could speak to the advantages and disadvantages of each... I am looking for a scooter for local grocery store runs and possible trips up the CA. coast with my wife (the bike would need to support two people... Other models I have been looking at are the Honda PCX150, Kymco Like 150i, Kymco Like 200i and the Lance Caliclassic 200i... Any info. or advice would be appreciated!
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The Hooligan will be the best fit if you are tall. The Like 150i has ABS and costs less. Forget the like 200i, the 150i is faster and costs less. PCX is the most expensive but gets the most MPGs by far. I haven't read any reviews of the new 2019 PCX. If performance is important to you the Smax will smoke everything else in the 150 class.

There are other things to consider as well. Most of these scooters have there own threads with more info..
  7. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am 6'1" and the wife is 5'... and therein lies the problem... Finding something that she can flat foot. She couldn't flat foot the Smax but could the Zuma 125, Lance Caliclassic 200i, Like 150i and 200i... Haven't found a Hooligan to try yet.
  8. tenorzuma

tenorzuma Hill Scooter Adventures

Oddometer:
    Hooligan is way more comfortable. My wife and I are now flipping a coin to see who gets it while we go tripping. The seat after a hour or so on a Zuma it's time for a brake the Hooligan you don't want to get off that alone for me is the selling point. We love the up hill pull also it has more than the zuma so for two up Hooligan all the way the zuma is my 2nd choice out of you list though.
    fratermus likes this.
  9. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere that someone swapped the seat in the Zuma for a aftermarket seat by Corbin which immensely improved the position and feel....
  10. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Genuine just bought my new Hooligan back, gave me full price, including all fees, and taxes and registration. Seems they found out, still don't know how, that the Vin#'s didn't match. The number on the paper work was not the number on the frame. Evidently it was/is to screw up importation paperwork. They offered me a brand new scoot, even trade. I was tempted but while I had it, I found it under powered for freeway driving, so I just put all of the money toward a new BV350 the dealer had on the floor. I did enjoy the bike while I had it. In town, there's not many scoots that can match it.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  11. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That speaks well of Genuine that they took good care of you... I'm still considering the Hooligan other big contenders are the Piaggio Liberty 150s, Kymco Like 150i and the Yamaha Zuma 125. Most of the reviews on all those bikes are glowing. I am a little apprehensive about the Hooligan because of the overheating issue that I have read about. I really would like ABS which is only on the Piaggio and Kymco even though the Hooligan and Yamaha have front and back disc brakes.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  12. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and the Hooligan has dual rear shocks, which I'm pretty sure none of your other choices have. I really liked the scoot, fit and finish was great as well as the overall look and feel of the scoot. The only thing that the BV350 has on the Hooligan is hp and top speed. I need to jump on I-10 every once in a while and the Hooligan just doesn't have the oomph for the interstate
  13. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be careful about the Zuma 125. It is a fine scooter, but on the small side. I had to sit on the very back of the seat, and had almost no legroom. My previous scooter was a Vino 125, and it was noticeably bigger all the way around. I can definitely recommend the BV350, or anything else made by Piaggio. I have sat on the BV350, but not ridden it. It has more room than my Vespa GT200. And it's quality and performance is well known.
  14. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The BV350 is a way bigger scooter than I am looking to buy... I do like the Piaggio Liberty 150, unfortunately the nearest dealer is about 35 miles away in either direction.... The Zuma has a big enough seat for 2 and I have read that since the seat is uncomfortable, some have replaced it with a Corbin leather seat which people rave about. Also the Zuma, the Hooligan and the Like 150i have twin rear shocks which should improve the riding and handling over rough roads. Of course the Piaggio Liberty has bigger tires so the twin shocks might be a trade-off issue....
  15. fratermus

fratermus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Zuma 125 has dual rears, although the Zuma 50 only has one.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Pretty much all high performance bikes, on and off road, have single shocks because everything else being equal a single shock works better.
  17. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    35 miles is nothing, my closest dealer is 70 miles away but I haven't been impressed by their service department so I take my scoots to the one 90 miles away.
  18. Alzero

Alzero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope you’re differentiating between single shock linkage suspensions and scooters with a single direct acting shock mounted on one side of the swingarm. The first has no twisting effect on the swingarm and can have a rising spring rate due to linkage geometry, while the scooter type is just a traditional twin shock suspension with typically the righthand shock missing.
    klaviator likes this.
  19. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And here I always thought the single shock front end of a Vespa came from aircraft landing gear since Piaggio was an aircraft company before it started making what has become the iconic scooter makers. I always figured if it was good enough to land a plane on it was certainly good enough for a 350lb or so plus rider.
  20. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious what Octane everyone was running?

Ever since new I have ran 87 in mine without issue. Never noticed any pinging. Only noise I hear is the valves rattling around at high rpm and load situations but never thought it was anything else. Reading an old thread at Modern Buddy it was suggested that the 170's get 91 octane. Honestly I don't see why and its not a high compression motor. Time to fill up tonight and thought about trying 91 but I just hate buying 91 if I don't need it.

Funny my ST1300 supposedly requires 91 octane but I accidently put 87 in it last fill up. I don't notice any issue with that bike either. I suppose it might ping on a hot day and you are climbing a mountain pass riding 2 up but in the cooler weather under normal riding it seems fine. Will go back to 91 for the ST1300 since it is officially required but not sure on the Hooligan? Only scooters I have seen that spec 91 octane is the Yamaha T-Max and maybe a few Italian models and they probably really don't need it either!