Genuine Hooligan 170i Official thread!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by longhaul747, Apr 17, 2014.

1. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    It sure seems the valves require a lot of attention. Both the Hooligan and the Buddy 170 have a reputation for overheating. Probably because they started out as 125cc engines, then went to 150cc, and finally 170cc. It probably needs an engine designed from the ground up for the power output of 170cc.

Do I see a black Royal Enfield in the background of that first picture?
  2. dowlf

dowlf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It took me awhile to learn that removing the seat and the inner box under the seat gives you good access to the valve cover. I adjusted the valves at about 8000 miles and the clearance was a little tight, but barely. I just adjusted it again at 12000 miles and again it was a little tight, but not that much.

I bought all the parts for the CVT at about 10000 miles, knowing that they had to be nearly worn out, but the original belt didn't disintegrate until 12000 miles. I was being lazy. It was super easy to swap out the clutch and variator parts and put a new belt on.

12000 miles in and it runs better than ever.

Some of the best money I ever spent was on this scooter.

I went to the dealer recently to order a new air cleaner and I was looking at that new 400 motorcycle that Genuine is selling now, I can't wait to get a test ride on one of those. Seems to be the best bargain in motorcycles that I know of at this time for a beginner bike.
  3. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which variator weights and belt did you select?
  4. dowlf

dowlf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As well as the stock ones held up, I just went stock PGO parts for everything.
  5. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried to get my son (a first time rider) to look at the Genuine 400, but he wants a Honda Rebel 300.... If I was in the mood for something I have to shift, that 400 would be first in my list....
    dowlf likes this.
  6. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After much deliberation between my wife and myself, we finally decided to purchase a Hooligan after FINALLY seeing it in person at a dealership in San Diego... We were able to compare it side by side with the Piaggio Liberty 150S (our other choice) and after sitting on it, starting them both up, looking at the storage for both and talking to the guy at the shop we liked the Hooligan better. The reasons were several, you refill gas without lifting the seat, my wife was better able to flat-foot the Hooligan, we liked the sound of the Hooligan engine, we liked the lights both dash and signal and headlights better, the Hooligan seat was more comfortable and the salesperson said that although we would primarily use it around town, he felt the Hooligan was better equipped to handle an occasional trip down the local coast highway over the Piaggio... We were all set to order from our local Genuine dealership and went there the other day to do so.... until the owner showed us a Sym Fiddle III....:becca. Of course the Sym comes WITH the top case, has basically the same dimensions as the Hooligan, has the CBS (combined braking system) where the Hooligan has dual disc brakes, has the ceramic coated cylinders (not sure how important that is) AND is about $500. less expensive than the Genuine!!! Now I AM confused!
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CBS sucks. I wouldn't buy the Fiddle unless I was confident I could un-link the brakes.
  8. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll have to look into that... Do you think that the ceramic coated cylinders would extend the life of the engine? Or, is it just another manufacturer gimmick? I know that the Yamaha Zuma 125 had ceramic coated cylinders... The Hooligan does appear at least to be a well-made bike... Not that the Piaggio or Sym seemed cheap in comparison....
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know that much about the ceramic coated cylinder. How many miles do you expect to put on this scooter? My Super 8 was still running strong at 33,000+ miles and I ran it hard. I also used synthetic oil and changed it regularly. If you want a small scooter that will really last the biggest difference would probably come from liquid cooling which none of these have.

The Fiddle does claim 70 MPH but Just gotta scoot reviewed it and only got 62MPH which is about even with the others. Sym does have a reputation for quality but also have a bad history for parts support.

Fiddle review: https://www.alliancepowersports.com/app-latest-news/sym-fiddle-iii-200i-reviewed-by-just-gotta-scoot

Hooligan review: http://www.justgottascoot.com/hooligan170i.htm
  10. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd be surprised if I put alot of mileage on it at all.. I'm retired now, and am seriously considering selling our second car (the Scion "smartcar" clone) as we rarely use it... The scooter will just be for errands around town OR we may as I said before take it up or down the local coast highway (two lane). I read both of those reviews previously... As a matter of fact, I put up the comparisons side by side last night to compare... the ONLY thing that the Hooligan has on the Fiddle is dual shocks and fatter tires. Otherise, the Sym beats in price and included accessories.... Fit and finish wise I'd give a slight edge to Genuine but as I said before both bikes for all intents and purposes are a pretty even comparison. As far as liquid cooling goes, the only one that I would consider would be the SMax and it is more than I want to spend....
  11. fried okra

fried okra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a new Buddy 125....really sweet scooter.

fried okra