Geographic Center of Nevada

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Transrider5587, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Transrider5587

Transrider5587 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased a new TomTom Rider 550 GPS and installed it on my trusty GS. IMG_4510 3.JPG

After the install I wanted to test it out and wander lust took over so I called my riding buddy. 30 seconds of planning we were off to the geographic center of Nevada. Leaving around 5:00 am we slabbed it non stop from Las Vegas to Tonopah Nevada. From Tonopah the first stop was Belmont.

IMG_2356.JPG

From Belmont it was into Monitor Valley.
    IMG_1992.JPG
    We stumbled around Monitor Valley looking for Diana's Punch Bowl.
    IMG_4561.JPG
    Diana's Punch Bowl looks like a volcano from a distance.

IMG_6404.JPG

Top down look at the Punch Bowl. The water is so hot it actually boils.

IMG_2062.JPG

From the Punch Bowl it was off to the Geographic Center of the great State of Nevada. I wish I could say there was a lot to see there. Plenty of wide open sky and vast mountain ranges. The sign that should mark the location could not be found.
    IMG_0302 copy.jpg

From there is was on to Nevada Highway 50 the Loneliest Road in America
    IMG_6275.JPG
    A quick drive and we were in the little town of Eureka Nevada where we had lunch. After lunch we prepared for the long 300 plus mile slab back to Las Vegas. The first leg was west on the 50 to the remote 100 mile long Nevada route 376. On the 376 is the small town of Round Mountain where we stopped for a few glasses of iced tea to cool off. IMG_4660.JPG
    By now is was getting dark so all that was left to do was let the GS's do what they do best, chew up the miles. Stops in Tonopah and Pahrump for gas and to stretch the legs then on home to Las Vegas.

The trip was just over 800 miles, approximately 200 of them were gravel / off road. Total trip time was 20 hours.

Attached Files:

slogger, GonzoMD, -E- and 5 others like this.
  2. Kawtm

Kawtm n00b

Oddometer:
    It was a long day but an awesome ride as any ride is better than sitting at home!

Attached Files:

3. StephanLAS

StephanLAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was going to say what a great ride, then I saw the miles. I live in Vegas too and am always looking for cool new places to go, but 800 miles is well beyond my limit. I think I may do the ride you did, but spread it out a little. Ive always wanted to go to Goldpoint but keep missing it but that would work on a trip like this. How technical was your off road experience ? (I am a fairly new rider on a Super Tenere and I have street oriented tires for the time being)
    VEGASHOTWHEELER likes this.
  4. VEGASHOTWHEELER

VEGASHOTWHEELER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice Ride!
    That punch bowl gets my attention to visit, but my back barely let’s me ride slab.
    It accessible to a Vstrom with street rubber with a dirt novice rider?
    Mike
    StephanLAS likes this.
  5. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    Am I missing something? Did you just take this trip?

In Nevada?

In July?

You are seriously ATGATT'ed. Is that a balaclava on your face?

Hot?
  6. StephanLAS

StephanLAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride in Nevada in July. I have a cooling vest but havent felt the need to use it yet.. max temp so far was 108 a week or so ago.. a cooling towel around the neck is what works for me. I only use the vest when it gets really hot. A friend of mine went to Death Valley a couple of weeks ago, it was 130F. He was ATGATT as well.
  7. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are still riding a dual sport tire that is more street oriented, make sure you air down some for two track like in the pics. It will give a little sure-footed-ness to the terrain.

When I had my Super Tenere I was running the stock Bridgestone tires in the dirt and was always surprised how well they did.
  8. StephanLAS

StephanLAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah my tires are definitely more street oriented. I intend to get Mitas E-07 soon, but for now Im trying to ride easier roads to build my confidence. Im getting there. And yes I have a aircompressor and can air down and up. Mostly Im working on getting my suspension dialed in.. The first time I road a pretty sever washboard road I thought everything on the bike was coming off.. ive been working with the damping and rebound settings since then. Baby steps.

Looks like you ride hard core.. I cant see doing 700 or 900 miles. I just came down from South Lake Tahoe 3 days ago and it was about 500 and that was about as much as I want to be doing in a day.. not to mention there were fucking cows and deer and bunny rabbits and pronghorns everywhere in central NV
    Chillis likes this.
  9. VEGASHOTWHEELER

Oddometer:
    I’m running Shinko 705s on my 650 and Anakee 3s on the 1000.
    Would probably take the 650 for that kind of ride, 50 lbs lighter and little longer fuel range.
    Mike
    Chillis likes this.
  10. Transrider5587

Transrider5587 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We did the ride a few weeks ago before it became crazy hot, the highest temp we saw on the trip was 100 degrees. We stuck mostly to the gravel roads but did a little wandering around on some two track exploring new places. The road through Monitor valley is maintained and could be explored on a V Strom. Kawtm and I like to do some technical trails to sharping clutch work , braking and balance every trip we take. This ride was no different but because of the lack of planning we made an effort to cover ground so only spent an hour or two off the gravel roads. As for tires I run Metzeler Tourance and traveled all over Death Valley, Moab, and Nevada. In deep sand the tires struggle, but I just go slow and make sure not crash. I run 36 to 40 PSI in my tires and very rarely run lower pressure. I do agree less pressure is better in the sand, but I'm more worried about hitting rocks and getting a pinch flat than going fast.

Monitor Valley is a beautiful place to ride I hope to make another crack at it once life slows down. Most people think Nevada is only the Las Vegas strip. In reality it's a large mostly unpopulated state with endless riding opportunities. While riding in Nevada needing 150 plus miles range between gas stops is common. When I first started exploring the state I was riding a 1989 Honda Transalp (that I still own) and always had a 2.5 gallon gas can strapped to the back.

Kawtm and I have been riding the southwest together for years. I could post other rides if people are interested, never know what people are interested in.
    Chillis likes this.
  11. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Last time @rjnutt and I rode by the Center Of the State the marker had been broken off. But there are some other markers. Next time its a green landscape box and lid in the ground. INside are a cooler with sign in register and other odd stuff.
    Chillis likes this.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    We've probably passed each other at some point. I was in Belmont two days ago. Also did another SS1000 last week and road 50 across before coming down 376 and back through Tonopah.

I'd forgotten about Diana's Punchbowl. Maybe go see that soon.

Post away though. I'm always looking for places to explore out here and surely I'm not the only one.

I love our state for its outdoors and desolation. Hoping it stays that way.
  13. StephanLAS

StephanLAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I for one am interested in any rides in our region (Vegas and surrounding areas). I dont do the crazy long days but as a result I have been on pretty much all the surface road rides round here.. which is why I got the Tenere.. to be able to expand where I can go.. but being a new rider I have to be careful to not hurt myself yet also challenge my abilities so I can grow..
  14. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, I'm not knocking ATGATT, I just cant imagine how hot the OP was. That doesn't look like mesh gear, and a balalclava?

Mui macho.

I wish we had BLM land in Texas.
    StephanLAS and VEGASHOTWHEELER like this.
  15. VEGASHOTWHEELER

Oddometer:
    I’ll have too look at this ride for when it’s back around the 100 mark.
    Not taking the heat well this year.
    Been all over the State on slab with the bike and back country on my quad and there is a lot of beauty out in what people think is just desert.
    Especially love exploring ghost towns throughout the Southwest.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a geocache out at the center, will look that one up.
    Mike
    StephanLAS likes this.
  16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    There is an ammo can out there. Saw it in another ride report.
    VEGASHOTWHEELER likes this.
  17. VEGASHOTWHEELER

Oddometer:
    Geocaching.com has it taken off line
    But reading these my pussy ass should be able to ride there!

http://backyardtraveler.blogspot.com/2007/03/nevadas-geographic-center.html

http://www.nv-landmarks.com/nevadacenter.htm

http://www.cmdrmark.com/20037.html

I’m off to Montana in 2 weeks and visit the Grand Monsters and should be cooler after I get back.
    IMG_0271.JPG
    Afraid his xrays will look like mine one day!
    Mike
    Chillis likes this.
  18. LandofEnchantment

LandofEnchantment Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in a similar climate. You get used to it. As long as it’s not humid out, the airflow is cool at riding speeds.

As long as I can keep 25-30mph, with all my vents open on my gear, I stay very cool with a large load of airflow.

I also keep a neck gaiter or shemagh on longer rides to keep sunburn off my neck.
  19. StephanLAS

StephanLAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As cliché as it sounds, "it's a dry heat" really does apply, and you also get used to the climate you live in. I'd rather be riding in 110F in Nevada than 80 in Louisiana
  20. VEGASHOTWHEELER

Oddometer:
    I use a vented jacket with summer under armor gear so it wicks away the sweat and acts like a swamp cooler.
    Long sleeve under vented jacket also prevents a sun burn through the mesh, the burn looks like chicken pox.
    If it gets extreme I carry a cooling vest that’s wet already inside a camping type dry bag.
    Dry bags can be used in reverse, keeps the wet in
    Then 2 - 1 liter bottles with water to recharge the vest when needed.
    I find if I put vest in bag, add the 2 liters of water, during the time I take fueling bike, taking a leak, grab a fresh Gatorade and refill the 2 bottles of water I just used on the vest, the vest is charged and ready to go again.
    Freeway speeds that cooling vest can give you some hard nipples
    Mike
    Chillis and LandofEnchantment like this.