Georgia Pass and area ADVing

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Trailryder42, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:09 PM.

1. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This last weekend a few friends and I, all in our 60s, based out of Sprucewood Colorado and explored the area. 2 of us on 1090Rs and 1 on an 1190. I was trying out the new Dunlop Mission tires, having worn out the stock TKCs.

Spent one day exploring the roads around the 717 trail system of Woodland Park. Made it down most of Metberry Gultch before turning around at the last steep drop. Dumped it 3 times on that trail, twice crossing those slick logs across the trail, coming and going and once climbing out when we turned around. Metberry is said to be the easiest of the gultches out there so thought we'd give it a try on the big bikes. Sure missed a rear knobby.

Spent another day making our way to Tiger Road north of Breckenridge to ride up, over and down the south side of Georgia Pass. The pass is clear of snow but run off was making things very wet and slick on the way up. There's a chute about 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the top that is very rocky and was filled with a few inches of runoff. Was missing a rear knobby here too. After picking the bike up from trying an alternate line that didn't work out, I just had to keep the revs up and feather the clutch and try to keep momentum up thru that chute. I was also missing a decent steering stabilizer. And I noticed a lot of rattling coming from the bike that I couldn't account for, as heard in the video. Will be looking into that over the next few days and going over every nut and bolt.

With a lot of help from each other, we all eventually made it to the top with a huge sense of accomplishment for getting those big bikes up there. Lots of other bikers up there were surprised to see them up there. Got the obligatory pictures with the sign then headed down the south side. Being totally beat, we headed back to base via some fun, scenic forest roads.

The area had tons of super fun paved twisties too.

As for the Dunlop Mission, it's great on pavement and holds the line well in the twisties. I noticed the profile lets the bike lean into a turn much easier than a knobby. Did ok on graded forest roads. Little drive or braking hook up in the loose crushed granite of the area. Scary in mud. In general, not meant for the offroad surfaces we rode during this trip.

Attached Files:

2. philstrailgnome

philstrailgnome Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW!!! Up Georgia Pass from Tiger Rd side on a big bike = very impressive. Have come down it on a fully loaded 990, thinking constantly about how I would not want to have to go back up it. That chute is definitely tough.
    Good on ya all. A lot more enjoyable to do it the opposite way.
    :)
  3. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, coming up the South side would have been cake, but after the first few days trying to slow/control my speed in downhill situations with the rear Mission tire, I'd rather have difficultly climbing that north side than trying to control my speed in that terrain and grade in a downhill situation. We considered calling it a day at the bottom of the chute, but we were so close. It definitely helped having years of dirtbike experience under our belts.
  4. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mystery noise. Any chance it is some rocks rattling around in the skid plate?
  5. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went over every nut and bolt when I got home. The 2 muffler hanger bolts to the frame were loose. I thought I yanked around on the thing good enough on the trail to see if that was it but didn't seem like it at the time. I should not have dismissed my suspicions and just pulled out the tools to confirm at the time. Oh well, all good now.

I also found 3 right side engine (clutch) cover bolts loose. Easliy took 1/4 turn before snug again.

I guess at some point during my 4 drops of the bike over the weekend, I must have slightly tweaked the shifter, as it started hanging up on the Black Dog skid plate. Had to do some filing on the plate in camp to free it up. When I got home, I used a Ford wrench to slightly bend that side edge of the plate inboard a little to get a little clearance. I always thought BD left clearance there between the two a little tight anyway.

I did confirm there weren't any rocks in the skid plate large enough to be making that degree of rattle.
    eaglescan likes this.
  6. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good find on the loose bolts.