GEOS MEDEVAC vs Medjet Assist

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by slane6, Apr 30, 2018.

1. slane6

slane6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am getting ready to set up my Garmin (Delorme) inReach 1.5 for my upcoming trip to Alaska. In addition to the plan fees by Garmin I will also be getting the $17.95 per year GEOS SAR 50 plan. That covers getting help.

For help with getting home after an emergency there are two options:
    GEOS MEDEVAC: $129.95 per year & over 99 miles from home.
    Medjet Assist: $270 per year & over 150 miles from home.

The no brainer would normally be GEOS MEDEVAC, but you can't get Motorcycle repatriation with that, only as an add on to Medjet Assist for $35 per year.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these companies?
    Any reason to go with one over the other beyond cost and motorcycle?
    Are there any motorcycle repatriation stand-alone programs for a reasonable price?
    Thoughts appreciated!!!
  2. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    My experience is only with Med Jet. A friend used it to get back home after falling down in Massachusetts. His bike was transported too.
    I know of people used it after going down in Mexico. All had excellent service/care.
    A couple years ago I fell down on a remote 2-track. Multiple fractures in leg & ribs. Punctured lung etc. I was transported by ambulance to a rural hospital. I needed orthopedic surgery they weren’t able to perform. I contacted Med Jet to be transported to a hospital near home. They confirmed it was 141 miles from the hospital to my residence & wasn’t covered. The hospital was another 30 miles.
    I still purchase Med Jet yearly.
    slane6 likes this.
  3. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've paid for the MedJet with motorcycle repatriation, which I think only works in North America. Not used it yet. But this has me thinking, doesn't motorcycle insurance pay to have the wrecked bike towed to local shop? And usually they end up totaling the bike, so it's theirs to deal with. Now getting personal things off bike is an issue, but I'm starting to wonder if motorcycle repatriation is really that useful. Thoughts?
    slane6 likes this.
  4. WhereIsBobL

WhereIsBobL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only you can decide whether it is worth it, but I know of a number of instances where the bike damage was minimal, and both the rider and the bike (and the spouse and I think maybe the spouses bike) were all transported home. You can get some pretty serious injuries from some minor falls, and don't forget sickness. If you are on the road and get seriously sick, the bike would not have been involved in an incident so your bike insurance would have nothing to do with it.

Grumpy Mike and slane6 like this.
  5. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are valid and interesting points; thank you.
    slane6 likes this.
  6. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    A reminder, MedJet only transports inpatients. You must be hospitalized. If released from the hospital you’re on your own.
    MedJet policies are individual or family. For your spouse to be covered you will buy the family plan. One more, their age limit is 75
    slane6 likes this.
  7. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Medjet Assist except they won't come get me in Sinaloa, MX due to BS State Dept warnings.
  8. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    I wonder if it's the same with all states that have a State Department travel warning?
    slane6 likes this.
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should have called me. I would have come and dragged to another hospital in a direction 10 more miles away from your home for you to qualify.
  10. LifeScribe

LifeScribe I do my own stunts

Oddometer:
    I don't have MedJet Assist, but I do use ISOS (International SOS) when I travel for work. It's comforting to know that when I travel to less stable regions that help is one call away. I used it once several years ago for a medical emergency and they connected me with a Doc from the UK and helped me through the entire situation. Really solid service! Should you ever need it, they'll medi-vac you to the facility of your choice. They'll also get you out of war zone if for some reason you find yourself riding through one. That said, it's a bit more expensive then Medjet Assist. I want to say it's about $500/ year, but it is well worth it.
    oldxr likes this.
  11. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    Good question about what your mc insurance covers wrt to bringing your bike home.

I carry MedJet Assist with the motorcyle return addition and have carried it for the past six years. I crashed several years ago in northern Quebec Canada. My riding buddies called MedJet and they said if I was checked into the hospital overnight then MedJet would transport me home. The doc said I could stay in my hotel or the hospital. I chose the hotel as my SO would not be thrilled to have me fly home on a MedJet ticket. MedJet did transport my bike home to Maryland where the dealer considered it totaled as did the insurance company.

Two points I suggest you consider.
    1. If you belong/join the BMW MOA you get a discount from MedJet.
    2. The MOA has a very nice 'platinum' membership ($79?/year) that covers two tire replacements/year due to road hazards and labor up to $250/incident and 100 miles of towing. And it need not be a beemer.

And for folks traveling in the US but away from civilization:
    This past summer I signed up for another transport service that one of my colleagues used while riding the Utah BDR and it worked.
    https://www.airmedcarenetwork.com/
    It provides helicopter transport in some 35 states for you and your family members for about $65/year. I don't think it works outside the US. It worked really well for one of my riding buddies in Utah, helicopter response and flight to the nearest trauma center/hospital in Colorado.
    slane6 likes this.
  12. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    I carry the Garmin inreach and find it works reasonably well.
    The new Garmin Inreach plus also has a gps which is great as it provides a 'backup' for the regular gps should it fail.

I heard a great talk at the Horizon Unlimited meeting in Appomattox VA a few months ago regarding remote emergency rescue and the speaker suggested one carry an epirb as it has a 5 watt power rating whereas the Garmin Inreach only has 1.6 watt suggesting a higher likelyhood of getting a distress signal sent. The other advantage of the epirb is there is no annual fee. They cost ~$250 and come with a free replacement should you use it for emergency.

All this sounds like planning for worst case which I guess it is. I recommend folks wear the best protective gear they can afford and hope they never need to use it. I feel better knowing the Garmin Inreach works and allows me to send sat text messages. I guess the epirb makes sense too as it is a one time cost of $250 and might save a life. Considering what we spend on our other gear it doesn't seem that expensive as a one time fee.
    slane6 likes this.
  13. melt757

melt757 Mel757

Oddometer:
  14. klrbum

klrbum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experiences with using GEOS Medvac for transport?
  15. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Unimaginative Lab Rat Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are actually 5 Mexican States plus certain specific areas that Medjet will not come and get you. If there is a "Do not travel" warning on an area...you're on your own.
    HeadShrinker likes this.
  16. jimmex

Oddometer:
    Thank you Francis, I'm well aware of that. Sinaloa happens to be a place I find myself in frequently.
    HeadShrinker and whizzerwheel like this.
  17. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Unimaginative Lab Rat Supporter

Oddometer:
    jimmex, I'm sorry if I came off as a know it all. I really didn't mean to. I'm simply expressing my frustration with the situation and warning others that their evacuation insurance may not do what they think it will do. I spent several frustrating days going back and forth with Medjet this winter trying to get an answer to where they would or wouldn't go in Mexico. Turns out probably most of the evac companies will not go to those areas.
  18. jimmex

Oddometer:
    Sorry for being a smart aleck.
    whizzerwheel likes this.
  19. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am currently sorting through this. Heading for AK in May / June. Good Sam has a screaming deal for their Good Sam Travel Assistance. Expires in 4 days from today. $69.99 for a couple. They will transport your scoot back if you cannot ride it. I plan to call and inquire what if it's wadded up. I would tend to let the insurance co and the closest dealer work through that.

They do have Medevac and some other spiffs others may not. As always read the fine print.

I also have their road side assistance. Any vehicle you are in or on. Including motorcycles.

I will be reviewing other plans and purchasing something.
  20. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    So any new news here?

I'm trying to read fine print and on Medjet it says:
    1) A Member traveling, living or otherwise staying outside his or her Home Country for an uninterrupted period in excess of 90 days is not eligible for membership services under Regular Individual, Regular Family, or Diamond Memberships.

2) Due to the high risk of sending registered aircraft and personnel into countries where the United States Department of State has issued a travel advisory of level 3 or 4, membership services are subject to exclusion or limitation in these areas.

(several states in MX are at level 3)

I don't see any similar exclusions on GEOS (the affiliate of inReach)

I've also checked out: https://www.worldnomads.com/
    they seem to have a very comprehensive policy with just a few reasonable exclusions,
    but it's at a considerably higher price point...