GEOS MEDEVAC vs Medjet Assist

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by slane6, Apr 30, 2018.

1. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:

Some CC offer "travel insurance" as a card benefit ...
    Here are some examples: https://www.tripsavvy.com/the-best-credit-cards-for-travel-insurance-4147438

But as usual in the world of contracts:
    "The big print giveth, and the fine print taketh away"

I have one of the cards and it has a "catch" in that your trip-travel has to have been charged to the card. Well in the situation of us overlanders that does not really help as we have not bought an airline/cruise ticket...
    So I'm wondering if any of the card would consider a "string" of hotel reservations a "trip" for the purposes of insuranceand then offer their extraction/interruption insurance to overlanders....

Make sense?
    dooby likes this.
  2. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    last trip to asia we used USAA, no limitations, dont remember much about the medvac but everything regarding return was covered.in the medical travel package.
    JRWooden likes this.
  3. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    I did not realize USAA was in that business! I'm a USAA member and always found them very trustworthy!
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am also a USAA member. I believe that USAA only partners with TII (a travel insurance company) but TII is not a Medivac provider. TII does have a plan(s) that cover the expenses of Medivac. But as always you need to read the fine print of the Insurance contract. You will still need to contract with a Medivac company if that is what you are looking for.
  5. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks ... when the virus clears a bit ... I'll start running down the options... with special attention to the fine print!
  6. magellan44

magellan44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi fellows
    I’ve been keeping an eye on this thread for awhile now. I find it very interesting. I have nothing to contribute but travel all over the US and Europe. I don’t think I really knew this type of E-Vac was available.
    Let me thank all of you for contributing and keeping the less informed like myself up on a very important subject

Best Regards
  7. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After reading through a bunch of stuff, I am leaning towards Ripcord for my trip this Sept. to Colorado and Utah.
  8. cwc

cwc .

Oddometer:
    You need to get the actual policy and read it carefully.

With Medjet you have to be in a medical facility and they will talk to the doctor and decide what you need. You will only be transported to another medical facility of your choice where you need to be admitted to qualify for the service. They won't take you home.

My son and my SO have both used Medjet and were quite satisfied with the service.

I looked at the GEOS and don't remember why I didn't like it but on one I looked at they were only willing to take you to the nearest facility that THEY felt was able to fix you properly.

I called the Good Sam and they told me if your bike is operational they will provide someone to ride it to your house. Even from Mexico. Somehow that didn't sound good to me.

Most are not interested if you are over 75.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used Ripcord last year on my favorite trip I've ever done - rode a Royal Enfield in Nepal, walked through the souks in Dubai, and camped in the game parks in Tanzania on top of a Land Rover. I'd use them again and again, highly recommended. :thumb
  10. cwc

cwc .

Oddometer:
    I just looked at them for the first time today and the annual evacuation only insurance for both of us is $975 compared to $565 for Medjet. If someone is injured they will fly both of us home which Medjet doesn't do (but that is negotiable sometimes).
    I have asked them to send me the policy so I can read the fine print to see if it is a good value for us.
    Tricepilot likes this.
  11. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just came across this thread and thought I'd add another option. I have never actually purchased insurance from these folks, but got their name off the HU website. However, I did talk with and shared several emails with them when I was planning international travel via moto a few years back (had to cancel the trip, so never needed the insurance). They were always responsive to my questions - and it seemed like a good outfit - especially for international travel.

Again - just adding another source - do your own homework.:thumb I was mostly interested in the medical aspects (treatment and rescue/recovery for myself) and not so much the bike transport.

https://globalunderwriters.com
    JRWooden likes this.
  12. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMWMOA has a discount arrangement with Skymate - I looked at it and signed up for their Ultimate Policy - They cover transport from the point of the accident to the Hospital and from the Hospital to a Hospital nearest to home if warranted.
    They will fly someone you designate to be with you and transport them home and transport your bike as well. www.skymed.com
    EnterReturn and pceire32 like this.
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    I didn't know that ... what is the approximate price?
    pceire32 likes this.
  14. sorethumb

sorethumb Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

Oddometer:
  15. Red_dog

Red_dog Dirt Road Sniffer outerer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Makes me glad to live where i do. Bit worrying though if i want to travel elsewhere!