Geraldton to Terrace Bay

Discussion in 'Canada' started by toonal, Jun 23, 2020.

1. toonal

toonal n00b

Oddometer:
    I am planning a loop trip up fro T.O. up around Hwy 11 and back down Hwy 7. My main goal is Geraldton. From there I can see a few roads that cut off the loop and head direct to Terrace Bay bypassing Nipigon.

I ride gravel with my current tires but and will on this trip although not really the proper setup. My questions is two fold. Is it worth it just to complete the entire loop and go to Nipigon? And what conditions are those roads in.

I will be alone so also realize once down those roads that is truly Canadian remote. So not looking for gnarly and I am not sure I what 100+ kms of gravel would be like. They looked paved where they join the highway but the googlemaps camera didn't drive up them so not much detail.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
  2. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Caramat Industrial Rd from Caramat (near 11) through Manitouwadge down to 17 near Hemlo isn't crazy gnarly, at least last time I was down it a couple of years ago.

Annotation 2020-06-24 100307.jpg
    toonal and gpfan like this.
  3. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will be missing out on the palisades if you skip going north from Nipigon. After Beardmore its not too exciting but still a nice ride.
    The Goldfield road goes from Terrace Bay and comes out on hwy 11 just west of Geraldton its a good road, but gravel the whole way
    toonal likes this.
  4. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last summer I rode from hwy 17 to hwy 11 through manitouwadge. The part from 17 to manitouwadge (hwy 614) is paved. The part from manitouwadge to caramat (caramat industrial rd) is about 100 kms of gravel/dirt. I was on an adv bike with 90/10 tires and I'm also new to riding off pavement and never had any problems. A few spots that were a bit sandy if I recall correctly but nothing too bad. Then the part from caramat to hwy 11 (hwy 625) is paved again.

If you want to stay on paved roads you can take hwy 631 which is paved for its entire length, I found it a very nice ride, much nicer than the north part of 129 which is very straight and boring.

The part of hwy 11 from nipigon to geraldton is actually very nice and scenic, as is the part of 17 from from marathon to nipigon. I would avoid the part of 11 from geraldton to kapskasing that is extremely long and boring, I practically fell asleep on that stretch.
    toonal and sturgeon like this.
  5. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden a fair bit of gravel, and did Caramat road on my R1200R on road tires. No crazy drifting on the corners tho! Yeah, that long stretch of 11 is pretty boring; I don't even like doing it in the truck or car (carrying a canoe).

With regard to missing things like the palisades - yup, they're definitely worth seeing. Same for Ouimet canyon, and, and, ... But you'll always miss something, no matter which routes you travel. Only answer is to keep going back for more :beer
    nick949eldo likes this.
  6. toonal

toonal n00b

Oddometer:
    Response to All.

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up travelling around to Nipigon. In my heart, I wanted to see the Terry Fox Memorial. So just bit the bullet. Made for a long day but worth it.

The Pallisades. What can I say. Rocks and trees for hours and then those come out of no where like a visual treat for having endured.

My one mistake. All those signs in Hearst warning of the gas issue to Longlac. Rather than filling up I thought I could make it. LOL. Turned back after 30km, when I lost another bar on the gas gauge and the oldder wise me kicked in. Have to say that is the longest 200km I have ever ridden.

Cheers
    cmattina and sturgeon like this.
  7. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always wondered how CAA would respond if you ran dry there.
  8. gepeze

gepeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You didn't miss much skipping the goldfield rd. I came across a week or so ago, heavy truck traffic and endless dust clouds.