Gerbing Single Temp Controller snafu

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Boxerbreath, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Bought one new in April and haven't tried it til today due to warm SoCal weather.
    Wired and fused directly to the battery on my GS.
    Indicator arrow shows zilch, it heats up alright, too warm in fact but controller doesn't indicate what level so...
    Anyone have this issue?

..and note I have the latest gen Gerbing vest...

[​IMG]
  2. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the older dial-type controllers so just a guess but if you're plugged in when you start the bike, the controller may not 'work' properly and just go to a set heat setting as you say you're getting heat but can't adjust it.
    I have to plug in after I start the bike, and unplug before I shut it off to keep my controller from getting wonky.
  3. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    That might be part of it. I've had so many shitty controllers go fubar...aggravating.
    Gerbing suggests I check the polarity so I'm ordering a new SAE plug to test.

[​IMG]
  4. Railbender

Railbender Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the old dial controllers they will give you full on if the polarity is reversed. Check the polarity at the SAE connector with a volt meter.
  5. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    15 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    Just FYI, I recently bought the same controller and was having issues with it....it was indicating that the voltage level was low....read out on dash says level was fine......emailed Gerbing, they said they would send me a new dual controller right away.....it showed up in less than a week. New dual controller working great....I think the reason they sent me a dual one is now is tempting to go out and buy the heated gloves !
  6. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Turned out to be a bad cable I made. Reversed the polarity...duh!
    Thanks to Gerbing for the help!