Gerbings will no longer honor their "lifetime" warranty......

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by turtlemoye, May 20, 2014.

1. turtlemoye

turtlemoye I'd rather not be online. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just saw this posted on the Gerbings Facebook page:

"There has been a lot of recent comments made about our warranty policy so we want to be clear with everyone. As of November 2012, Gerbings, LLC is a new company, which I hope has been evident by our new logo, name, products, etc. The company that offered a Lifetime Warranty is a separate company and not affiliated with us in any capacity whatsoever. Gerbings, LLC offers a 1 year warranty on new products purchased. We've made a commitment to manufacture our Liners in the USA, and believe we are the only company to be able to say that. Making garments in the USA is important to us, and we hope its important to you all as well. Anyone who wants to go to another company making heated liners in other countries, that offer a longer warranty, we understand and appreciate your business. Keeping jobs here in the USA, and making products here in SMALL TOWN USA means a lot to us, and we're committed to it! However, in order to do that, it is not possible for us to offer a lifetime warranty, and its not possible for us to honor the warranty of a separate, unaffiliated company. To be clear, the old product is NOT our product. I hope you can all understand this, but do understand its frustrating. We have a team of technicians who will repair your garments, and they'll be as good as they were the first day you wore them, but if its after 1 year on new items, and if its from another company, unfortunately we have to charge our cost to fix them. Thank you all for the constructive comments, as we're always listening. More importantly, we are as committed as ever before to deliver the world's best heated apparel, with our liners MADE IN THE USA. We hope you all support and care about our MADE IN USA products as much as we do! If anyone has any further concerns, feel free to call our toll free # or visit our website to find out more about our warranty policy at: www.gerbing.com"

https://www.facebook.com/gerbingsheatedclothing?fref=nf
  2. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:
    I sent in my jacket liner for repair in January and it was repaired at no cost. The liner is at least 3 years old. :dunno
  3. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What was the deal with Gerbings? Did they go under and this the the follow-on outfit?
  4. turtlemoye

Oddometer:
    I guess they were having some financial difficulty and the ownership changed sometime last year. However many like myself were unaware of this and I'm just spreading the news. It's seems shady to change the name by just adding LLC to the end and claim to be a different company just to avoid honoring warranties. Sure, change the policy on your new gear but honor the old.
  5. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    This all sounds like lawyer speak for "We want the profits but not the liabilites."
    Some one should get a class action suit together. They've diminished the value of my Gerbings jacket. One of the reasons I bought it was because of the life time warranty. With out that the garment is less valuble. Fight fire with fire. :D
    Mostly that's tongue in cheek but if some one with the time and interest want's to get started I'd sure sign on.
  6. RogerWilco

RogerWilco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They claim they are a new company, yet they also claim to be the same company that has been making these garments for 40 years. Gerbing was purchased by another concern: That doesn't make it a new company, that makes it a company which happens to have new owners. And then the new owners changed the name...slightly. ( I think I'll change my name slightly and then insist I'm a different person, and not the one who owes the mortgage company for the loan on my house my house...that was that other guy...not me, but I'm going to live here.....and next, it's 'almost free' car time)
    If they really thought they were a different company, they would make the claim that they have been building heated garments for.....two years only.
    I'll bet the new owners insisted they were the same old company to any customers who owed money for previously conducted product purchases. I doubt they said "Hey, you owed money to the 'other' Gerbing.....that isn't us, therefore you don't owe us anything.
    Mister Richard likes this.
  7. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing whoever runs their Social Media is regretting posting that "update"

The reaction they are getting on Facebook doesn't seem to be quite what they were expecting. Wrapping themselves in the Made in the USA flag and somehow linking that to being unable to offer a better warranty just doesn't make sense. Apparently they are saying that made in the USA means poorer quality?
  8. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    They must not know Aerostich heated are made in USA w/ 2yr warranty.

I'd think their move was vetted by lawyers but seems a little stinky. If someone buys Ford tomorrow do they get to dismiss outstanding warranty obligations? I don't think so - the accountants factor that in.

They prob know they're writing off a bunch of previous customers who will be pissed when warranty is denied. Their math must say that's how it has to be...? Seems like it would have been smarter to start with a new name but they appear to want the legacy benefits w/o the legacy costs.

9. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not ncessarily.

Not defending them, but a warranty is kin to an insurance policy. Money is set aside to cover expected claims. Some people pay out-of-pocket for "extended" warranties. If the market decides that the jacket is worth $200 and one company has them made in China for $40 and another makes them in the US for $140, then the company with the foreign product can put aside more money to cover warranty claims. In fact, they could replace every one they sold.
  10. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it appears the Facebook post has been deleted, and the CEO is now making statements that contradict the Warranty policy they posted on their website.

Seems like a complete cluster fuck.
  11. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm...

One of my Gerbings gloves purchased just over a year ago quit working at the end of the winter. I've been dragging my feet getting it replaced because it supposedly has a lifetime warranty and I'm in no hurry to get it replaced since summer is ahead. I'm going to be seriously pissed if they won't replace/repair them...
  12. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. I've got two Warm n Safe jacket liners, one mine, the other my wife's.

One arm on my jacket developed an intermittent no heat issue, so I reached out to them. "How old is it?" "Dunno. Old." "Send it in."

I'm happy.
  13. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So.....they claim to have been in business for 40 years, but now have new owners so the "lifetime" warranty is null and void. :huh

I applaud their returning manufacturing to the US, but this is bullshit. Period.

I've been considering heated clothing. I've crossed Gerbings off the list. If you can't count on the warranty then you probably can't count on the product either.
  14. turtlemoye

Oddometer:
    Apparently they started this policy last month so consider yourself lucky.
  15. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    So if the Cubs get new owners does that mean their world series drought starts over?
  16. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's acceptable if a company goes bankrupt, is released of its obligations, and the name disappears. But to carry forward what is effectively the same name, and profit from the goodwill associated with it, yet renege on the historic warranties and customers through a corporate restructuring shell game is simply SLIMY.

They've lost my business, and likely everyone I ride with once they find out... I don't mind paying a premium for American-made products, I just can't buy from scumbags, of any nationality.

This is what they have to say on their website:

17. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a typical corporation, I hope they are reading these posts and see how good the internet is for at alerting others to avoid their product unless they change their policies.
  18. psychohawk

psychohawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can't sue a company that doesn't exist; Gerbings no longer exists; Gerbings LLC exists, but legally, it's highly doubtful they're the same company.
  19. bigtallguy

bigtallguy Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer:
    Wow, that warranty was one of the big reasons I bought from them in the first place. I guess I will move on to other brands next time:dunno
  20. turtlemoye

Oddometer:
    They nuked the original post and also disabled all comments on their page so they are getting the message.