Gerlach, Denio, Mcdermitt

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Countdown, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have been riding out of Soldier Meadows each Fall for the past few years but this year we rode from Gerlach to Denio for two nights to explore east of Denio to McDermitt.

Attached Files:

2. ghostbuster2

ghostbuster2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fuel available in Gelach, Denio and Mc Dermitt?
  3. offroute

offroute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    to open in Mapsource or ExpertGPS.

Edit - Got it finally. Three downloads were corrupt...

Fred
  4. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem, but finally was able to download the file by right clicking on the link and selecting "Save Target As".

Jerry, how were the trails from Denio to McDermitt? Suitable for what type of bike?

Your next assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to find a route from McDermitt to Jackpot suitable to 650 size dual sport bikes.

Thanks,
    Jim in Sacramento
  5. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took 4 weeks and help from others (Wachs) at ADV to figure the loop from Denio to McDermitt. All routes are double track. There are numerous rock gardens and some short ups and downs. You would want to be a GOOD rider on a big bike and probably figure on dropping it once or more... The Northern/Oregon route is the easiest but furthest. To be honist, on the return to Denio thru Nevada, I didn't see much of the trail as we were looking directly into the sun. I turned up the GPR figuring that I didn't want to spend the night out there. It seemed like it was more scenic, however. The northern route follows the ridges so you have to take some of the dead ends to see the wilderness canyons.

Denio ran out of gas when we were there so we had to visit Fields, They helped transport gas back to Denio for us. Highly friendly and maybe not unusual for these guys. 541-495-2275 may be their #. Say HI!
    I would call Denio Junction if you are planning on gas. 775-941-0371 may be a good number. Rooms available at both Fields and Denio. Best Bar...Denio, NV

Never pass Gas
    You never have too much gas...unless on fire.
    #3... Fill up NOW....they may run out of gas later.......

SLOWWW PAst the Ranches!!!
  6. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like it could be done...but gas may be a problem, as it was from Denio to McDermitt if you sight see the dead ends. Hoping that Owyhee and Jarbidge has gas.

McDermitt-Owyhee= 110+ miles
    Owyahee-Jarbidge= 60+ miles
    Jarbidge-Jackpot= 75+ miles.

KTM had an adventure weekend in that area a few years back...BIG country with lots of Ranch trucks hauling ass. A Dakar rider found one the hard way as I remember. They look for dust, and we don't put up as much. If they hit a cow, it is dinner.
  7. gwl

gwl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boy that looks like a good ride. If this weather holds I think it is doable. It was almost 70 today in Bend Oregon.
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I posted a new version, opens ok now for me.
  9. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Denio has fuel and food and rooms if you need one.
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    They had fuel when we arived but ran out before we could fill up! they had run out po premium the day before and didn't tell us.
  11. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    A permit is required to pass through the Summit Lake Paiute Indian Reservation north of Soldier Meadows. Annual fee of $100. Signs are supposed to be posted notifying you. I do not know how you pay.
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a notice about this, do you know more? Does it apply to the "county" road? Is it in effect for sure?
  13. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    From reading the resolution, it is any vehicle entering the reservation for any reason. From here:

http://www.summitlaketribe.org/uploads/Resolution_SL-43-2008_11.15.08.pdf

RESOLUTION OF THE SUMMIT LAKE PAIUTE COUNCIL
    SUMMIT LAKE PAIUTE TRIBE
    OF THE
    SUMMIT LAKE PAIUTE RESERVATION, NEVADA
    RESOLUTION NO.: SL -43 -2008
    TITLE: Imposing a Motor Vehicle Pennit Requirement for All Vehicles, Government and Private, Entering the Exterior Boundaries of the Summit Lake Reservation and Using Summit Lake Reservation Roads
    WHEREAS, the Summit Lake Paiute Tribe, is a modern entity of the Northern Paiute People known, in English, as Lake Trout and Wild Onion Eaters who, for thousands of years, controlled 2,800 square miles of land in and around Summit Lake as a tribe with sovereign, unlimited, powers and laws (customs, traditions, usages, etc.); and,
    WHEREAS, in 1964, and after much consideration, the members of the Lake Trout and Wild Onion Eaters organized pursuant to Section 16 of the Indian Reorganization Act of June 18, 1934 (48 Stat. 984) as amended, adopting, for certain sovereign purposes, the name "Summit Lake Paiute Tribe" with a tribal constitution titled "Articles of Association," the latter which was approved by the Secretary of the
    U.S. Department ofthe Interior on January 8, 1965; and,
    WHEREAS, the Summit Lake Paiute Tribe's Articles of Association grant to the Summit Lake Paiute Council (see Article II, Section 1) certain sovereign powers, including the power to improve the welfare and education of tribal members and to take such action as is necessary to carry into effect any of the Council's powers and duties (see Article II, Section 1 (k»; and,
    WHEREAS, the Summit Lake Paiute Tribe only has a small sum for the maintenance of its roads based, in large part, on the number of enrolled tribal members and miles of tribal roads; and,
    WHEREAS, during the two week period that the Tribe closed its main road for construction purposes (August 20 through September 3, 2008), it learned that the State of Nevada's Department of Wildlife ("NDOW") had licensed at least 1,600 hunters to hunt in the areas surrounding the Summit Lake Reservation ("Reservation"), that NDOW also anticipated a hundred or so hunters who were licensed to hunt in the areas surrounding the Reservation after the road closure to scout the areas, and that the hunters would likely be accompanied by friends and family, all greatly increasing the number of vehicles (trucks, trailers, ATVs, motorcycles, etc.) using Reservation roads without contribution to the maintenance of Reservation roads; and,
    Page 1 of3
    WHEREAS, immediately prior to the October 18, 2008 Regular Council Meeting seven ATVs driven by non-tribal members, who were observed to drive north along the Reservation road on the west side of Summit Lake (as if coming from the Soldier Meadows Ranch), drove east on the Reservation road immediately adjacent the Tribal Compound; and,
    WHEREAS, during the lunch break of the October 18, 2008 Regular Council Meeting seven ATVs driven by non-tribal members, drove east on the Reservation road immediately adjacent the Tribal Compound and were observed to drive south along the Reservation road on the west side of Summit Lake (as if going to the Soldier Meadows Ranch); and,
    WHEREAS, when the Tribe gave notice that it was going to close the Reservation road along the west side of Summit Lake for construction purposes which happened to coincide with the internationally known Burning Man event south of the Reservation within the Tribe's traditional territory, employees ofthe BIA Western Nevada Agency's Natural Resources Branch expressed concern that the Tribe was impacting thousands of Burning Man participants and inferred that the hundreds of vehicles those thousands of people would drive to the event would use Reservation roads; and,
    WHEREAS, the Soldier Meadows Ranch advertises itself on its web site as providing tours to Summit Lake, implying that it has Lake front property at Summit Lake; and,
    WHEREAS, the Soldier Meadows Ranch does not have Lake front property at Summit Lake because, as the Title Map on fIle with the Humboldt County Assessor's Office shows, the high water mark of Summit Lake is the Reservation boundary and Lots 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Section 36, adjacent Summit Lake, are not 40 acre lots (see attached Title Map); and,
    WHEREAS, to provide for sufficient funding to maintain Reservation roads, prevent pollution of all kinds and the spread of invasive species, and to cover Indirect Cost needs, imposing a One Hundred Dollar ($100.00) annual fee on all vehicles government and private: automobiles, pickup trucks, trucks of all sizes, tractors, backhoes, graders, etc., trailers ofall sizes, ATVs, 2 and 3 wheel motorcycles, bicycles, etc.; and,
    WHEREAS, the Director of the Environmental Protection Department shall immediately implement this decision of the Council by obtaining permanent stickers to be visibly displayed by all vehicles government and private from January 1,,2009 through December 31, 2009 and every calendar year thereafter, as described above, posting notices of this requirement, collecting the annual fee and causing it to be deposited into a bank account of the Tribe, and sending notice to all government agencies; and, ,
    Page 2 of3
    WHEREAS, the driver of any vehicle not displaying proof of having paid the annual fee shall have seven (7) working days to display proof on the vehicle or the vehicle shall forever be considered a trespasser on the Reservation subject to impoundment if found thereafter on the Reservation; and,
    NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Summit Lake Paiute Council does hereby, as set forth above, immediately impose a One Hundred Dollar ($100.00) annual fee on all vehicles government and private: automobiles, pickup trucks, trucks of all sizes, tractors, backhoes, graders, etc., trailers of all sizes, ATVs, 2 and 3 wheel motorcycles, bicycles, etc., from January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2009 and every calendar year thereafter to provide for sufficient funding to maintain Reservation roads, prevent pollution of all kinds and the spread of invasive species, and to cover Indirect Cost needs.
    CERTIFICATION
    I, JERRI LYNN BARLESE, Secretary/Treasurer of the Summit Lake Paiute Council, hereby certify that the above Resolution, No. SL ~) -2008, was brought before the Summit Lake Paiute Council at a duly held meeting on the 15th day of November, 2008, a quorum present, with the following votes to enact the Resolution: 2 FOR, 2-AGAINST; and, _/_ ABSTAINING, with Council Chairman Warner Barlese presiding and not voting, and that this Resolution has not been rescinded, revoked or amended.
    November 15,2008
    ~~ ~* a
    /?;uJ!,~,
    Date
    Je
    . Lynn BarJese
    Secretary/Treasurer
    Summit Lake Tribal Council
    Page 3 of3
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Indians claim the road. Some kind of power play. Wonder what the county says? Looks like they give you 7 days to get out?
  15. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    That's kind of the way I read it, too. If I end up going through there, I'll try the play ignorant bit and see what happens. It kind of sounds like a power play between the tribe, NDOT and the BLM.
  16. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Holy crap - That changes things a bit.

Maybe never again get this shot after 700 miles of solo riding south in pouring down rain, thunder, lightning, flash flooding in the Sheldon and sketchy mud roads to the oasis of S. Meadows?

(Can't remember so happy to see the sun shine without being under a collapsing sky)

[​IMG]

btw - dishwashing gloves do not keep your hands warm.
  17. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking of a ride in this area and was curious about the vehicle permit so I went to the tribal website and emailed the appropriate person.

Ron Eagleye Johnny,

Dear sir,

I realize that backcountry motorcyclists are not likely one of your larger concerns so I must ask, has the tribal council considered a limited duration, say one week or one month recreational vehicle permit?
    The 12 month $100 permit becomes a significant part of the ride budget for the day or two that we might use reservation roads. We are not all well-to-do riders staying at resort ranches and need to stretch our resources while still contributing to maintenance funds.
    Thank you so much for taking time for my question.

David (dammitdave) Jackson

Here is the reply that I received:

Mr. Jackson,

Unfortunately, back country motorcyclists, and ATV riders, are one of the Tribe's major concerns not only for road use but, and this is despite no trespassing signs posted on some of the Tribe's roads, and no-off road signs posted where the Tribe has found people traveling off road.

There is no provision for paying a reduced fee simply because the Tribe does not have the personnel to stop a vehicle and see if the period of time they are operating is outside that which they are permitted. The Council looked at different colored permits for the 12 months of the year but could not afford that.

To obtain a 2009 Annual Vehicle Permit, I will need a copy of the vehicle's registration showing the registered owner's name, address, vehicle identification number, and license plate. If your vehicle is not registered with a State, provide the VIN number, year, make and model. Make your money order or cashier's checks payable to: "Summit Lake Paiute Tribe - Annual Vehicle Fee" and mail it to the Tribe's address below.

Trailers are charged a separate fee. Because the Tribe discovered a 100 bicycle race (and chase vehicles) using the roads without permission, bicycles are charged the annual fee too.

Ron Eagleye Johnny, J.D.
    Acting Administrator
    and
    Director, Environmental Protection Dept.
    SUMMIT LAKE PAIUTE TRIBE
    SUMMIT LAKE RESERVATION

I read some of the minutes of their coucil meetings and they seem to feel that their land is being appropriated for recreational use without so much as a "by your leave". The permit is as much a way of forcing recognition of their soveriegnty as it is a revenue source.

Dave
  18. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Emailed Jim and Kathy at Soldier Meadows. Here is their response:

Glad to hear you enjoyed this area in the past.

I am sorry to advise we still have no telephone service out here at the Ranch. There is no cell phone service or landline. If you could instead e-mail us we will get that. We have access to internet and e-mail via satellite system.

The Road through the Summit Lake Reservation is a public road and the Tribe has been advised by all authorities (BLM, BIA, Humboldt County, etc.) of this fact. Neither you nor anyone else should need a permit of any kind to travel the main road. Permission from the Tribe would only be necessary for access into other portions of the Reservation. If they try to charge you or advise differently someone is attempting to defrauding you. The Road was put in by the early settlers as the main road to take freight from California up into southern Oregon and Idaho around 1850. It is well documented on the 1891 official US Survey. The Reservation was created many years later and the grant for the reservation was made "subject to all prior existing rights" of which the right to use the public road is one such right.
  19. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I guess from a legal standpoint this is good news for those that wish to just pass through. In practice, however, I wonder how that will fly for those that get "caught" on the main road without the permit. I'm sure the tribal police will just back down when confronted with the evidence.
  20. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    The many times I have been up there I have never seen a marked vehicle. I would also bet that a fairly skilled dirt rider would never be caught:evil

If I want to go through the rez I will go . I probably will not go during Hunting season since that is when they will probably have the largest enforcement presence