Get busy.....

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Andyvh1959, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Now at 63, the reality of my last decades of riding are becoming more, real. I hope at 73, perhaps 83, I'll be able enough to ride like a student I had in the Street Skills class I teach on the small track at Road America. He could still haul on his Ultra Classic.

Now, hear in your mind Morgan Freeman's voice, but the quote is for riding,

"Get busy riding, or get ready dying"

That my become my new mantra for riding.
  2. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Get busy riding or get ready dying?

Is your point to make the most of every day?
  3. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.

Oddometer:
    I'd like to allow a few more years of fly-fishing between the end of riding and the start of dying, but that's just me.

Riding through Middletown PA a few years ago I saw a man in full gear confidently mount his glorious red Ducati sport bike. I passed by as he picked up his helmet. That rider was north of 80 if he was a day old. Long live these well seasoned riders!
  4. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    Yup,....the point IS to get busy doing what we all know is one of the best things for us riders to do, ride more. We derive so much from riding, much more than moving us physically from one place to another. An Uber or public transportation does that. We gain a lot of pleasure and balance from our riding, so ride more.

I love downhill skiing also. Its one of the sports activities I can actually do, as i suck at most ball games. I hope to keep skiing for many years yet. My 1st ever mountain skiing experience was at Steamboat. I stopped at an mid-mountain overlook, and struck up a conversation about the view with another skier. She then said "I hope my dad is doing ok, we're here skiing to celebrate his 83rd birthday!" Just then a tall gent slid up to a quick stop, and she said "how you doing dad?" GREAT he said as he turned and took off downhill.
    dave0, klaviator, ROAD DAMAGE and 2 others like this.
  5. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Andy. Now I'm going to have Morgan Freeman stuck in my head narrating everything I do.
  6. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    True story..Morgan Freeman's voice was considered as the soundtrack for Harley Livewire. John Wayne rejected because it sounded like the need for a valve job.
  7. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    Hey, at least I didn't pick Gilbert Gottfried for a quote, "he nips a leg off!"