Get Ready To Live.....Baja and Copper Canyon

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by August, Feb 19, 2010.

1. August

August August

Oddometer:
    This is my first moto trip out of the states and I am really stoked:clap

My friend and I are heading south on a KLR and DR650. We live in McCall Idaho but will be trucking the bikes further south to start. We are planning to cross the boarder on march 13th and return around april 17th.

We will most likely cross the boarder at Mexicali.

Here is a rough outline of our trip so far. Any input is appreciated as we are very flexible.

From Mexicali head to Laguna Hanson and then to Ojos Negros. We will probably try to work our way around Ensenada(waiting on E32 maps) and then hit the coast for a bit.

From Colonet we will then head up to Mike's Sky Ranch taking those more technical dirt roads. From Mike's i'm not sure if back to the west or east would be better.
    We will eventually get to the east at some point to see Ganzaga bay and Coco's corner. From Coco's take the easier Chapala or the Calamajue option if we are up for it. Then to Bahia de los Angeles and the rest we are still working on.
    We will be continuing down to Cabo then over the mainland by ferry continue south to Puerto Vallarta and then work our way back up to the states.
    Got some new stuff to put on the bike:clap

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Thanks to Neduro's tire changing tips we got the new tread on:knary. Only took a 6 pack worth of beer to do all 4:clap:beer
    <!-- / message --> <!-- edit note --> <hr style="color: rgb(87, 87, 87);" size="1">[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  2. Thorne

Thorne Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    Need more....HURRY UP! :lol3

sounds like a great trip!!
  4. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Good for you Guys! :thumb

Go Get Some!

Subscribed. :lurk

Q~
  5. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas...

Oddometer:
    Hey I think it's great to start a trip thread in advance instead of after the fact! :clap It would be great to see how you get your bikes set up and what you decide to pack and how you do it.
  6. Frustration

Frustration What? Where?!

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!
  7. August

August August

Oddometer:
    Here are a few map shots for northern Baja we are looking to ride. The red routes are what we are shooting for. The purple routes are a maybe. We still have some fine tuning to do to link some rides but you'll get the idea.
    I really want to try El Mano pass but I'm not sure I'm man enough:eek1

You should be able to click on them to get a larger size.

If anyone has any tips or recent road reports please let me know
    :ear

Getting into Mike's Sky Ranch we may also come in from the north off HWY 3 instead of the route shown.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  8. August

August August

Oddometer:
    <meta name="Title" content=""> <meta name="Keywords" content=""> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"> <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"> <meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"> <link rel="File-List" href="file://localhost/Users/August/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:DocumentProperties> <o:Template>Normal</o:Template> <o:Revision>0</o:Revision> <o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime> <o:pages>1</o:pages> <o:Words>117</o:Words> <o:Characters>670</o:Characters> <o:Lines>5</o:Lines> <o:paragraphs>1</o:paragraphs> <o:CharactersWithSpaces>822</o:CharactersWithSpaces> <o:Version>11.773</o:Version> </o:DocumentProperties> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotShowRevisions/> <w:DoNotPrintRevisions/> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Times New Roman"; panose-1:0 2 2 6 3 5 4 5 2 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:50331648 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-parent:""; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> <!--StartFragment--> Packing List: (partial)

Tent, tent stakes
    Sleeping bag
    Mattress
    Stove
    Pots/pans
    Water filter
    Twine
    Water bottles
    Camelback
    Pillow
    Soap
    Utensils
    Headlamp
    Towel
    Multi tool
    Extra keys(ignition, gas tank, panniers, lock)
    Soft cooler
    TP
    Tarp
    Cable lock
    Matches
    Compass
    Camera
    Charger(camera, ipod, gps)
    Cell phone
    Headphones
    Ear plugs
    Several copies of all paperwork
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o:p></o:p><!--[endif]-->
    Repair Kit:
    Tube repair patches
    Tire irons
    Spare tubes
    Compressor
    Hand pump
    Bailing wire
    Nuts/bolts
    Duct tape
    Epoxy putty
    Zip ties
    Hose clamps
    Loc-tite
    Electrical wire
    Fuses
    Rubber gloves
    Shop towel
    Chain lube
    As for tools and wrenches I have made it a point to only work on the bike using the kit I have built for the bike. When I don’t have the right tool for the job I make sure I add it to the kit. This has proved to work well and eliminate tools I may not need.
    <!--EndFragment-->
  9. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Baja through fresh eyes. Very cool. :thumb You're going to be ruined for life after you spend some time riding Baja.
  10. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    i need to get down there
  11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    This looks like fun, I'm in for this ride report. :lurk
  12. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NICE, a month riding Baja when it's crappy at home, jealous! Good luck guys, stay safe, and always check your boots and stuff BEFORE you put them on!!:D :freaky
  13. barefootrider

barefootrider BMW airheads

Oddometer:
    I see you have a GPS charger, where is the GPS? - best addition to motorcycling in 10 years. I bought bicimapas which allowed us to travel trails that without GPS we would not have entered.
    Also keep you camera clock synchronized to your GPS clock this way you cal always find exactly where you took that picture.
    Ready for the report - want to learn about that part of Mexico :clap
  14. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I'll be riding south from San Felipe this Sunday. If you see a KTM950 SE with no decals and the rider with an ancient faded red Motoport jacket, stop and say howdy. Maybe by myself and maybe not.
  15. V8R

V8R Been here awhile

Oddometer:

now THATS a good tip!
  16. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at your packing list,, there is no need to post that this is your "first trip".. IMHO,, there will be nowhere for you to set,,,:lol3 you might want to take another look at all the stuff that you list... I see about 8 things that you list that you "may" get to use... I have a small pull behind trailer that you can use for your trip:rofl :rofl :rofl Oh well, we all have to start somewhere... good luck,, have a safe ride.:1drink
  17. August

August August

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am taking a LOT of crap. I'm sure I will learn the hard way as to what I really need :confused. I really am trying to cut down on stuff. I think I'll ditch the tent and go with my Bivy sack. The best part is I have to ride with my wife on the bike for a week :eek1.

Just 3 days till take off. Heading to Vegas for a night then to Tucson and will cross the following day at Mexicalli. First night camping at Canon De Guadalupe. :kumbaya

Got my Trail Stand, thanks Steve :clap

Also got a SPOT loaned to us for the trip. Should be nice for the tracking function.
    I'll post a few pics of the bike fully loaded tomorrow.
  18. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    No matter how much stuff you leave behind someone will always think you can leave something else behind. Then again I'm one of those people that pack too much but I'm also comfortable in camp and get a good night's sleep other than the one time when I tried to down size my sleeping bag to a mummy and didn't sleep at all - I returned to using a rectancular bag and sleep well again. It's all about priorities. If you are comfy in a bivy sack and if you wake up to pouring rain and you'll be happy not having a tent go for it. Myself I prefer a tent while I also know other people who are happy in bivys.

For some people roughing it is part of the adventure and they are happy and having fun with minimal luxuries. Go for what works for you.

Keep posting your progress please.
  19. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    :lurk

I will keep an eye out for this report. It looks like you are in for a good time. I need to plan one of these trips someday......
  20. jnx55

jnx55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks to be a good one.