1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Gettin' Dirty in Tellico Plains (7-16-07)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Python423, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    Here is a ride report from our 7-16-07 Dualsport ride that started in Tellico Plains,TN. Met a couple of nice ladies, Beth & Lenn from Alabama who were vacationing in Tellico Plains today. So me and the wife decided to join them in a little adventure today. GPS data says we did 104 miles from BP in Tellico, back to camp, Elapsed time 8:42 mins. Heres a few pics from the ride.

Here's my wife Shannon coming thru one of the first creek crossings on Witt Road

[​IMG]

Here's Lenn thru the same creek crossing, trying not to get her feet wet.

[​IMG]

Here's Beth showing us how a proper creek crossing is done..

[​IMG]

After the creek crossing

[​IMG]

Here's Shannon coming thru the next creek crossing.. This one a little deeper..

[​IMG]

Here's Lenn still trying not to get her feet wet...

[​IMG]

Here's Beth TRYING to get her feet wet..

[​IMG]

Heres 2nd shot of her thru the same creek crossing

[​IMG]

This time Lenn got her feet wet :(

[​IMG]

Heres Shannon thru the last witt road creek crossing

[​IMG]
  2. Python423

Oddometer:
    Here's Beth thru the last creek crossing on witt road..

[​IMG]

After crossing all those, they had Witt Road closed down shortly past that. So we had to turn around and redo all of em again. Turns out they were clearing some trees toward to end of it, and needed the road to be closed for a while that day.

[​IMG]

Here's Lenn coming back thru it again..

[​IMG]

Taking a short break..

[​IMG]

Taking a short break on the singletrack..

[​IMG]

Another group shot at the singletrack break...

[​IMG]

After the break, I went ahead so I could get some action pics of everone as they came thru.

[​IMG]

Here's Shannon with Lenn right behind her on the singletrack.

[​IMG]

Then here comes Lenn and Beth on the singletrack...

[​IMG]

Then a pic of Beth as she's coming thru on her KTM...

[​IMG]
  3. Python423

Oddometer:
    Continuing on the trail...

[​IMG]

On up to Buck Blad to take a break and enjoy the view. Here's group pic at the top.

[​IMG]

Pic of the bikes at Buck Bald...

[​IMG]

Another view from Buck Bald, this is Black Mountain off in the distance.

[​IMG]

Then onto a store in Turtletown to take a lunch break, then we hit McFarland Road, then Ditney Mountain Road. Then back up Smith Mountain Road. Shortly up Smith Mountain there is a cool overlook. This is the view from it. Far in the distance you can see Camp Cove Lake.

[​IMG]

Here's Beth on the Smith Mountain Road.

[​IMG]

Heres Lenn at the Smith Mountain overlook,

[​IMG]

Another pic of Lenn at the Smith Mountain overlook..

[​IMG]

Pic of Beth and Lenn at the Smith Mountain overlook..

[​IMG]

So while on Smith Mountain road, we decided to do a little trai exploring. Found this trail that turned into some sweet singeltrack. I belive this is the back side of trail 81. Tho it is not labeled from the south side. It is labeled from the north side. And it was heading in that direction.

[​IMG]
  4. Python423

Oddometer:
    Another view from the singletrack on Smith Mountain... We had a couple of new riders with us, and the trial got kinda tight and tricky, so we decided to turn back, to prevent any mishaps.

[​IMG]

Here's where I was goofing off with the camera, trying to take a pic of the creek there, this was off Lost Creek Road, but GPS said this was Turtletown creek. It empties into the Hiwasee.

[​IMG]

Here's group pic at the Aplanchian pipeline..

[​IMG]

Here's Lenn cooling off a little at the pipe leak on the Aplanchian pipeline..

[​IMG]

A pic of the Aplanchian tunnel..

[​IMG]

Pic of shannon and her dr200 there while we were stopped at the pipeline

[​IMG]

Heres pic we took at Butler Cementary, off of Lost Creek Road..

[​IMG]

From there we just hit Hwy 30, and stoped by the Reliance store for a cold drink and to take a break. From there we headed back toward the campground, where we caught a light rain shower or two. Then headed on home.. Had a great time everone!!! :clap :clap :clap Just let me know anytime you want to do some more riding..:evil
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could say this is some really good dirty fun!! :evil thanks for posting :thumb
  6. dualsportriderfl

dualsportriderfl Explorer 157

Oddometer:
    :clap Those ladies are looking good--- Armored -- Amphibious --
    Thanks for posting.
    I am going to send a link to this to my Daughter.
    She rides when she has time, college and all.
    Thanks again,
    Tom :clap
  7. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Looks like you all had a blast!! I got to get back to TN!
  8. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I took that same line across that same water crossing a couple weeks ago!!! Except I was going the opposite direction.

I'd love to take some of your other routes too :thumbThat single track looks awesome.
  9. mel brooks

mel brooks Dirt Chick

Oddometer:
    Python, you have some awesome riding up there! Got to get up there some day.

LOVE to see other ladies out riding dirt! :clap

And thanks for all your tracks in the East GPS section, I've got 'em downloaded and ready for a future ride!
  10. catchmeifyoucan

catchmeifyoucan n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm Lenn, the blond ds girl on the KLX. Greg was a fantastic leader and we had a fabulous day with him and Shannon. The following day Beth and I took a trail that Greg had pointed out to us, and it was just as good as the day before. There were a lot of water holes so I got the hang of just blasting thru and getting ALL wet.

Thanks again Greg. Because of you, we had the bestest trip ever.
  11. Python423

Oddometer:
    Glad you had some more fun the next day also. I hadn't been up that trail in over a year or so, but I knew it was close to your camp, so thought I'd give ya'all some options to do for a half-day type ride. Me and shannon both had a blast. She commented to me that was the best dual sport ride she has ever been on. Shes been riding with us guys since last year off and on. I think she likes riding with the ladies better. Anytime you guys are up this way just hollar, be glad to show ya around. By the way, I liked this pic of you, I thought it turned out pretty cool.

[​IMG]
  12. Incabiker

Incabiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn Python, I'm going to have to give you a call next time I am up there. I was at tellico plains last week and luckily happened accross buck bald also, that 360 degree view from there is, to say the least, AMAZING!!! I spend about an hour up there absorbing all of the scenary that it had to offer. There were a group of 4 ladies up there with horses also. That place is amazing.

It was a great ride. I rode parellel to Cherohala skyway on a lot of gravel roads that parelled tellico river, then it took me to the N. Carolina end of Cherohala. I rode that to Santetla lake and the went back to Tellico plains on the Cherohala skyway, it was a BLAST! Whats up with all that gravel on 68 by the bald, I was coming around the corner and the whole road was covered by that stuff, lets just say that was quite the experinece:eek1
  13. Python423

Oddometer:
    Hmm.. I hadnt noticed in over in 68. They keep the gravel road going up to the bald in good shape. They may have recently graveled it. The backside of old68 (coming down from bald, south toward hiwasee river), is alot nicer. No fresh gravel on it. We came up trail 82 to get to the bald, then back down the back side.
  14. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    NICE:thumb:thumb
    Just picked up a DS for my wife......She's not ready for creeks yet......soon I hope!
    :ricky
  15. Incabiker

Incabiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya the gravel up to the bald was fine. What I meant was actual 68, the paved road going north towards Tellico plains from Georgia. Right after you pass the gravel road for the bald and keep heading north, on one of the turns in 68 gravel is all over it, luckikly I was able to put my bike in the clear path that the tires of the cars made, everywhere else was covered in small marble gravel and sand, its like that in a couple of places on 68 heading towards tellico, makes the ride more interesting, lol
  16. RicH2

RicH2 Ric H2

Oddometer:
    So where in North Alabama are ya'll from ? Do ya'll meet anywhere on occassion ? I'm in Madison near Huntsville.
  17. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    I rode that section of 81 (north bound)today. About .8 mile into it the trail just disappeared. So I turned around. Its kinda tight in some spots with that nasty dropoff. Note to self: don't try that again solo. You were right about it not being marked. A pine tree with white blazes marks the entrance. I just stumbled onto it.
  18. Python423

Oddometer:
    81 is labeled on the north side (This is off McFarland rode I think). Here is a pic of it labeled

[​IMG]

We rode it in april for a little ways , it starts out singletrack, and growed up, it then hits a wider forest service trail, you can go right or left, go left, and I forget how it went, but it does continue on into the woods. It appears to end, but if you look, you can see where it continues. We came up on some big trees down on a steep section , and it was end of day so we didnt attempt it. Then on this ride we stumbled up on the souther end of it (not labeled), off of Smith Mountain Road. We went a little ways into it and turned around. I'd like to try it again sometime if I got some experienced riders to ride with me. Dont want to do it alone. Let me know when your up this way.. BTW check out our offroad section at www.smokymountainriders.com
  19. riceburner30281

riceburner30281 misADVenturer

Oddometer:
    Yall R Tuff...
  20. Python423

Oddometer:
    Here are a few more pics that beth took from the ride. Heres Shannon and Lenn coming back thru the creek crossing on witt road.

[​IMG]

Lenn Coming back thru the crossing

[​IMG]

Lenn at Buck Bald

[​IMG]

Lenn and the KLX250 at Buck Bald

[​IMG]

Another view of Black Mountain off in the distance from Buck Bald

[​IMG]

Another pic of the bikes at Buck Bald

[​IMG]

The bikes and me and the wife at buck bald...

[​IMG]

The view from Smith Mountain road.

[​IMG]

Lenn and Beth on Smith Mountain Road.

[​IMG]

Singletrack pic off of Trail #81 on Smith Mountain

[​IMG]