Gettin' Sherman the Super Sherpa to his New Home

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by DataDaddy, Jan 14, 2006.

1. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    me too.

DD, You need broadband.
  2. DataDaddy

DataDaddy @ the new dad thing

Oddometer:
    Head South out of Oxford and start making a little eastward progress...

Still cool roads...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I see this sign as I am flying along, and turn around to go check things out...
    [​IMG]

Pretty cool old cemetery...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stop for some gas and coffee. Hang out for 30 minutes or so to warm up and then its back on the road...
    [​IMG]

Mandatory Barn Picture(s) [Chaingolian rules :deal]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Montpelier, MS Post Office... silver box out front is the P.O. boxes for the town...
    [​IMG]

Phebe, MS gas station and BBQ joint...
    [​IMG]

Thought about in stopping Phebe for dinner, but I was on a mission and had another plan... I knew just the meal to celebrate Sherman's arrival in Starkville...
    [​IMG]

Double Bacon Cheeseburger :tb
    [​IMG]

Oh, Yeah!
    [​IMG]

Big-ass burger :clap Ask ElPelon :deal
    [​IMG]
  3. DataDaddy

Oddometer:
    Finished off my burger and headed to the house.

Sherman is happy to be at his new home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got Sherman moved into the garage and settled in. He is happy in the herd, kinda like his last home...
    [​IMG]

I am happy to have Sherman home too! :clap
    [​IMG]

Thanks to Ilmostro and Linzi for their hospitality during my two visits. Thanks for cleaning, lubing, and shining up Sherman before I picked him up. He looked great. He got into a little mess on the way home, but seemed happy about it... Boys will be boys :deal
    [​IMG]

The End... Good Night all.

p.s. Ride report brought to you by Jack Daniel :deal
    [​IMG]

I feel warm now...
  4. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  5. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    Mostro can dream...but Linzi told us otherwise...:eek2

[​IMG]
  6. DataDaddy

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Good eye... No one else has noticed the er, modification... :lol3

Linzi did it, so the artist's license was her's :deal

:D
  7. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

that new camera angle makes that monument look as tall as a maple tree.
  8. DataDaddy

Oddometer:
    that new camera angle makes that monument look as tall as a maple tree.[/quote]

It's the new displacement-neutral camera angle... :lol3 It's gonna be big, I tell ya, big! :deal
  9. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:

:clap Nice brisk ride, eh, Data?

One of these days I'm gonna convince the wife that SHE wants a bike. I need something smaller than the VStrom to ride around town.:evil
  10. Linzi

Linzi Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer:
    :clap

Now, you take care of Shermy, or I'll beat the living tar out of you. :D
  11. DataDaddy

Oddometer:
    Figured I would add some thoughts this morning, following a good nights rest...plus I forgot a couple of things :lol3

1. Little sore this morning... Legs are a bit sore from the ride yesterday (tight bend on Sherman) but mainly it's my shoulders that are most sore. I'm blaming that mostly on the slightly tight ergos and the fact that I wore the backpack all day... Oh, and Sherman's seat is more comfortable than a stock KLR seat :deal not that I am saying much here :lol3

2. Chemical Hand Warmers... more accurately, ~10 year old, chemical hand warmers. Linzi felt bad for me and dug these out of storage from somewhere... Rated for 6-8 hours at 127 deg... Apparently these things age, so I got heat for about 1-2 hours :lol3

3. Warmth without Electrics... Wasn't a bad trip at all temperature-wise. I would get a bit chilled when I did the long, faster stretches of asphalt. Mostly the hands (see hand warmer section :D ). Once on the gravel, more activity meant more heat, slightly slower speeds helped too. Also this trip, I tried something a little different. Normally, I wear jeans over my polypro layers with the 'stich on top of that... This time I ditched the jeans and was much warmer. I think the jeans were compressing the insulating layers, reducing the air pockets that trap heat and keep ya warm. :deal If you thought my Blue 'Stich was a fashion statement, you should see me in a restaurant wearing black, polypro (long underwear) pants tucked into my boots :eek1 Good stuff I tell ya! Good Stuff :lol3

4. Hope this friggin' thing has a reserve... About two miles out of Oxford, MS, Sherman started sputtering and complaining about an empty tank. I wasn't too alarmed because Sherman is a Kawasaki and from riding the KLR, I know right were the reserve valve is... Reach down and try to turn it to the 9 o'clock more gas position... It won't move to the nine position! :eek1 Questions running through my mind... a. Does Sherman have a reserve? b. Was Sherman already on reserve? c. Does Sherman have a super, secret half gallon reserve like the KLR? Sherman's engine quits and we roll quietly into someone's driveway... Well, as it turns out. Yes, Sherman does have a reserve. Run is at 6 o'clock and Reserve is at 12 o'clock requiring a 180 counter clock-wise turn, so now you know...

Garmin needs the "Hey, I'm on a 250" setting... It was a bit of a fight with the Etrex to keep off the faster roads... It sure wanted to use the interstate... I know there is an avoid highways setting, but I haven't played with that enough to be comfortable with it. :dunno

Dust to Glory: Men in Orange... I got Dust to Glory for Christmas... Very cool and very crazy with all the "other traffic" on the course. Yesterday had a bit of that flavor. It's the last weekend of gun season here in Mississippi so folks were out in droves. Mississippi also allows deer hunting with dogs (to drive the deer to the hunters). So, yesterday Sherman and I got to experience a bit of the "Dust to Glory" scene while pounding along the back roads. Lots of men in Orange. Pickups driving around looking for dogs, radio tracking antenna sticking out of the windows. Deer dogs (groups of 5-10) crossing the road. Stopped trucks blocking the whole road while the drivers conferred. Lots of guys hanging out with gun and beer waiting for the dogs, and hopefully deer to arrive. I pretended that I was "Mouse" as I blew through these obstacles, twisting Sherman's throttle to the stops...:ricky

[​IMG]

P.S. I just found the pictures from my first trip to Memphis to check Sherman out... Every ride report needs a Prequel!!! :clap Stay tuned!!!!
  12. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:

:lurk

ps: Stop riding so much! :flip
  13. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    um, Jay

it has been like 12 hours - even your dialup ain't that slow

enough personal life more story
  14. Just_Sean

Just_Sean herewegoagain

Oddometer:
    Please tell me you didn't put mayonnaise on a hot dog... :puke2
  15. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ilmostro's hand up the mounty's skirt.....what a great display of truth
  16. DataDaddy

Oddometer:
    Smoked Sausage, actually :deal

mayonnaise is nature's lube! :thumb
  17. Bitt

Bitt Wanderlusting

Oddometer:
    I made the mistake of clicking on the link early on to Flug's pic :huh :cry
    and then seeing his road food shots ... well anyway... it has made me rather ill.
    Nice ride though!
  18. Just_Sean

Just_Sean herewegoagain

Oddometer:
    Okay :knary - we just usually stick those on a sourdough roll out here, not a hot dog bun....
  19. DataDaddy

Oddometer:
    Prequel: Meeting a Bike Named Sherman

Was checking through the Flea Market in early December, when I saw that Ilmostro was emptying his garage. Everything was for sale, so I figured the "man" was after him... This was a chance to <STRIKE>get a bike dirt cheap since he was desperate </STRIKE>help him out. :deal It would be really great <STRIKE>to have a fun little 250cc to play on</STRIKE> to find a bike for my wife, too. :lol3

PM's were exchanged, calenders checked, tea leaves read, and the Magic 8 Ball said "Go to Memphis." Never question plastic, liquid-filled sages...

December 9th... 28F and sunny. Headed to Memphis
    [​IMG]
    picture note: after 5 tries, my hands were freezing... :vardy Damn, photographer taking soooooo long. :dunno

Headed north toward Memphis. It was pretty cold, well actually really cold. I could feel my heated grips, but I couldn't feel my electric vest working. I figured that I had blown a fuse, so I turned the vest off to check... Took a couple of miles to figure out that the vest had in fact been working! :eek1

Gotta make miles...

Passing through Montpelier, MS, here is the Post Office. Just cool :dunno
    [​IMG]

I run about an hour up the road to Houston, MS. At this point, most of me is cold, real cold :vardy

Stopped to get a picture of the mandatory barn...
    [​IMG]
    (editors note: looks like a house now that I am home... visor fogged anytime I stopped :lol3 I am pretty sure that there were animals using it though. :deal I'm callin' it a barn -- deal with it :lol3)

I head inside with some extra layers to put on. Add another layer of polypro on the legs. Electrics on the legs would be great, but I don't have any and I am not sure that the KLR would drive all of this stuff...:deal

The vest was over a light polypro shirt, possible problem. So, vest against bare skin, add another layer to make 3 three layers up top. I am wearing everything I have, so I hope this works :lol3

Coffee and a Snickers bar to warm the core. 30 minutes, I am ready to go again.

Cold Weather Strategy 1: Wear Everything you have!
    Cold Weather Strategy 2: Slow down!

With strategy 2 in mind, I hang a left a the next small side road I find and start the back road and gravel trek to Memphis :ricky

Looked like this
    [​IMG]

I was a lot happier on the side roads and the gravel roads were the warmest... :dunno I was traveling almost as fast (60+) on the gravel as I had been on the highway... guess tight arms and a clinched sphincter generate good heat :lol3

Stopped again in Oxford to warm up and have a little lunch. Not so bad now with the extra layers... I make my way up to Memphis and find Castle Starfish.

The Welcoming Committee (Linzi and Ilmostro for 'dems dats new)
    [​IMG]

Aren't they just sooo cute, bless their hearts...
    [​IMG]

The Prequel Route
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned....in the next episode I meet komet, Scumshine, and DR950 :freaky , eat fired sushi, drink beer :slurp , and convince Ilmostro that he probably looks better with body hair :deal

Back to work for now... I'll be back :clap
  20. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    :lurk