Getting a bike in Uganda

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by Walkabout_fr, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Walkabout_fr

Walkabout_fr n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I currently live in Vienna, Austria, but I will be moving to Entebbe at the beginning of March.

I am (obviously) looking to ride a bike there, and I would appreciate any advice/opinions on:
    - What type of bike to get
    - How to get it there.

Regarding the type of bike, I had a 600 XT when I was living in Nairobi and found it to be the perfect type of bike. Relatively easy to maintain and good for potholes and dirt roads. Anything different in Entebbe that I should consider? Are there reliable motorbike mechanics? Any brands for which spare parts may be easier/harder to source?

Regarding the sourcing of the bike, I was considering shipping a bike from Europe (any advice on this?), buying a bike in Uganda (what's the second hand market like? Is it easy to import one?) or to get one in Nairobi (Motoadv for example...)

All ideas welcome. Looking forward to being there and meeting fellow riders...

Cheers

Marc
  2. straggler

straggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only just seen this. Are you in Uganda now?
  3. Walkabout_fr

Walkabout_fr n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Traggler

I am.

Still in Entebbe for the moment. Moving to Entebbe at the end of June.

Any leads?

Cheers
  4. straggler

straggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Moving to where?

What sort of bike are you looking for? Have you tried the Katwe area in Kampala? It's where a lot of the bike shops are.
  5. Walkabout_fr

Walkabout_fr n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry, moving to Lubowa.

probably looking for a "simple" dual sports bike. 600XT, 650XR, or equivalent...

I'm not much of a mechanic, so I need a bike in good condition, and easy to maintain...
  6. Walkabout_fr

Walkabout_fr n00b

Oddometer:
    And I've never been to Katwe. Any particular place/guy you'd recommend?
  7. straggler

straggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's difficult to find a secondhand bike in good condition in Uganda. Most have been messed around with and maintained badly. Genuine parts are hard to come by and they tend to get fixed by "bush mechanics".

Also, the prices can be ridiculous.

You could try contacting a guy called PK at Africa ATV Safaris in Jinja. He's a bike man and might know of something for sale. I normally stay in Kampala but am away for a while and don't know of anything decent going. Plenty of junk but nothing decent!
  8. rydetheworld

rydetheworld All you need is a little dirt

Oddometer:
    There are tons of groups that ride and have bikes for sale at times. What is your price range?
  9. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey man, if you haven't already, check out the Uganda Bikers Association. Really cool crew. They helped me find a bike there a while back.
  10. Sillychap

Sillychap n00b

Oddometer:
    Have you tried OLX. There's a few decent bikes on there from time to time. Uganda bikers meet at Javas Oasis mall every Sunday at 10am (ish) for coffee. Good group of guys and well aware of bikes that are on the market in particular expat owned.
  11. mangihagen

mangihagen n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had any experience importing a motorcycle to Uganda recently? I will be moving there from the US in February 2019 and am considering importing my WR450F.
    Thanks,
  12. jesssss

jesssss n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there...
    Sorry don't have any experience. But I stay here in Kampala and got some good contacts about bikes and mechanics.

Am also looking to ship a bike from Uganda to Europe...
  13. ndevu

ndevu n00b

Oddometer:
    No experiance importing, but I've got a xr600r. I live up country, Soroti district, but anytime you want to plan a ride let me know.