Getting into trials?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Can we VOTE for a Sticky?

1. Yes

2. Nah

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I'm sure someone here has a reason not to, but I don't know what it might be. I still have a tube in mine mainly because it's never been an issue, so I don't have a reason to spend a C note on switching. Kind of like fixing a problem that doesn't exist.
    StanBo, Kiharaikido and Plawa like this.
  2. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    You can still get a flat with Tubliss. Can't you? :scratch
  3. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
    No need to spend the money. Unless you're trail riding it, or just really REALLY want to. I don't know if there is a weight difference between the two.
  4. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Sure but not pinch a tube which would (to a total noob) seem like an concern in trials. Anyway, people with actual experience have spoken ;)
  5. Takataka

Takataka Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pinched the front tube on a rock the other day running 6psi. Must be a rare thing though I guess..
  6. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    More air for trails, less air for sections.
  7. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    I run Tubliss at both ends. No issues at noob level.
    StanBo and Plawa like this.
  8. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    For those of you that ride enduro bikes as well as trials bikes. What tires do you run on your enduro bikes? I like the traction of the trials tires, but I don't know that I'd like them on my enduro bike. Just looking for some opinions.
    I've been running the shinko 505 cheater for a year and I like it. It's about time to replace my stock AT81 front tire. I'm thinking about replacing it with a shinko mx216 fatty front tire.
    Thanks for any opinions!
  9. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    It really depends on the kind of terrain your riding. Trials tires are not great in supper sticky mud, hard cornering and sand but I find they work well to great in every other condition I have used them in.

Also, I would say trials rear and dirt front is the most common setup for enduro bikes, and I would recommend only a DOT rated tire like the MT21 as the rest are a bit soft and will likely get used up to quickly.

also as you likely already know trials or trial hybrid tires work best when not braking traction so if you like to spin your tires I would stick with knobies.

My 2 cents...
  10. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I've run my worn trials tires on the back of my dirt bike in CO. Works great in the rocky single track, I do run pressures up to around 10 psi because of the soft sidewalls. No issues with side punctures, but the tires are toast at the end of the week, but I don't care.

I have run them at home in the eastern dirt. Sucks in real mud, have to be careful in high speed grass corners, but I've had good success running enduros in certain conditions, but I've gone away from them now, because it's too condition specific.
    Yokomo likes this.
  11. gottadog

gottadog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 250XC has a 216 on the front. I had a Goldentyre fatty on a 450X and it was pretty good. The Shinko does run a tiny bit more narrow. But still more volume than your standard front. I also have a 505 on the rear. Tubliss both sides. I was thinking next tire I'd give the 525 a try.
  12. Yokomo

Oddometer:
    jonny and 2whlr that makes perfect sense. I think I'll stick with the 505 and might try the 216 fatty on the front as I don't want to give up too much of the other terrain. Thanks!
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  13. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    Used to run various knobbies, then trials tires, now Shinko R505 cheater rear with Tubliss at 5 psi. At least 80% of the traction of the trials tires in most gnarly conditions, plus more in mud and deep sand. Like a trials tire, the 505 prefers to climb on rocks.
    jonnyc21 and Yokomo like this.
  14. Yokomo

Oddometer:
    I built this box to play on. Hoping to get to where I can remove the pallet.
    20180516_192008_001.jpg
    StanBo, anoldsman, jonnyc21 and 4 others like this.
  15. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :thumb fun stuff!
    I hope your carpentry hold up though. A few good hits with some trials moves and that will be toast. Have fun while you can but I've found tha solid stuff like ties work better.
    StanBo and jonnyc21 like this.
  16. Yokomo

Oddometer:
    It has yet to budge any. I wanted it light as possible so I could move it. If it starts to wiggle any I'll just reinforce it.

Here's my local ORV area where I've been playing around. It's steeper and more challenging than it looks. I took the easiest line I could find. Maybe next year I'll be able to attempt harder lines.
    KSUperDuty, 10K, anoldsman and 2 others like this.
  17. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    That area has some serious potential! Nice.

What I mean about your box is when you are learning zaps, you will drive the front wheel HARD into the side of that. Trust me, unless it’s solid you will crush it in no time.
    I had one similar to that and it’s great for learning bunny hops onto it with not much , if any force on the structure.
    StanBo, jonnyc21 and Yokomo like this.
  18. Yokomo

Oddometer:
    I'm already wanting another one. :-)

20180520_101727.jpg
    StanBo, markbxr400 and 10K like this.
  19. Yokomo

Oddometer:
    I have an 02 280 TXT Pro. I plan to check out a 10 300 TXT Pro. Is there much difference in the newer bike? Is there much difference between my 280 and the 300? Thank you!
  20. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Not much and a whole lot!

Speculation but, I would think you will like the 300 more than the 280 as the power is right there off the bottom where the 280's are good on power but quicker to rev up and don't feel like they are as grunty down low.

The 2010 as long as it's in good shape will likely have a nicer feel in the suspension as the current shocks and forks have been updated over time. (assuming it's a race not an economy model).

Overall weight and handling (old suspension aside) I would expect to feel close as the 03, 07, 08, and 10 I have been on all feel just a bit different but more so in suspension.

The 03 was a 280, the 07 was a 280, the 08 a 125, and the 10 a 300.

Liked the 300 better than the 280's but think I would like a 250 more myself. But as I haven't been on a Gas Gas 250 I am not 100% sure on that.

Though I love my Montesa 4RT 250 and 300RR!
    Huzband likes this.