Getting into trials?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Can we VOTE for a Sticky?

1. Yes

2. Nah

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  2. trials935

trials935 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So where is the rest?

A transmission that doesn't explode if you look at it funny, both of them. Had to split the cases and put $800 of parts into each of them, my labor was free.
    Fuel injection so you don't have to fuck with jetting,
    An airbox that doesn't break the back end off if you flip it, both of them.
    A silencer that doesn't self destruct if you fall on it, both of them.
    2 fuel tanks that both leaked at the rear weld seam.
    Etc, etc.
    These are all things that happened to both my grandson's 125 pros the first 6 months they had them.
    I'll take a little extra weight instead of any of that. All day and every day.
    They both have had Montesa's now for 3-4 years, not one. single. breakage. of anything. That's a hell of a lot easier on my wallet now. And my time.
    Yes, I encouraged them to try things that were slightly above their skill set, but none of these parts failures / poor designs occurred without me or my brother-in-law Charley from the TTC minding for them, so it wasn't abuse, as I'm sure someone will post.
    DyrWolf, jonnyc21 and Norman Foley like this.
  3. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems that your grandsons graduated from a GG 125 and moved to a Montesa.

Maybe the experience would be similar if they learnt with the Montesa, and moved to GG?
  4. trials935

Oddometer:
    Keep dreaming. They both had TY 80's for about 2 years, then Beta 80's before the 125's, had a broken front fender on one of those. Had those for about 2 years. Got rid of the 125's in less than a year.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You never broke the kick start shaft or replaced the Bart part? But then again, they were 125`s!
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  6. trials935

Oddometer:
    No, they had no issues with the shaft or gear. Simply amazing.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  7. riabma77

Oddometer:
    I don't dream. I was just wondering.
    Thanks for the details, and sorry for the bad experience. Maybe it will happe to me one day.
  8. trials935

Oddometer:
    I really hope you have no issues.

jonnyc21, riabma77 and lineaway like this.
  9. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I am with trials935 and hope you never do as well.

Though I haven't had the same issues with our 125 as trials935 it hasn't been used as hard with my wife and daughter being quite reserved riders.
    riabma77 likes this.
  10. riabma77

Oddometer:
    I'm not a Gas Gas fan. It's my first bike. Beginner, so I don't ride it hard. So far, I'm happy. If I have problems in the future, I will move on with another brand, like everyone else.
    Norman Foley, DyrWolf and jonnyc21 like this.
  11. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had 2 GasGas bikes. A 97 JTX 270 that was as reliable as an anvil, and as heavy. And a 2015 280 Pro Racing. I didn't have any troubles with that bike either. I knew (from reading here) about the kick start, and 4th to 5th weaknesses so I exercised caution and mechanical sympathy in those areas. The only real problems I had were self imposed breakages from riding way above my pay grade.

Treat your GG well, and with a little good luck you'll be fine. If they ever stabilize as a company, I would buy another.
  12. riabma77

Oddometer:
    Great post.
    oldtrialer likes this.
  13. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I learned a lot yesterday helping set up a trials. I'm new and I was able to see the sections with different eyes. Watching the guys set up the gates and why they were putting them in different places was an eye opener. I never even got on my trials bike but I think I got better at riding trials. Not bad for a work credit day.
  14. Asphalt Assault

Asphalt Assault Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made a weekend trip with the wife, camper and dogs in Lucerne Valley this weekend. This was my first time really riding my 2016 Beta Evo 300 which I picked up about a month ago.

I really enjoyed my first time out and appreciated some of the more experienced riders going out of their way to help me with some basic fundamentals. I've been riding street and motocross nearly all of my life and find that trials riding is like starting all over again since the techniques are so drastically different.

So far so good and I think I'm hooked.

Attached Files:

Yinzer Moto, Ditch, DyrWolf and 3 others like this.
  15. mayoisnasty

mayoisnasty trials wannabe

Oddometer:
    So much for the question I asked. All this GG negativity and I still went and bought one. 7 years old to boot. Pray for me. :lol3

It was a good deal and in good shape. Starts on second or third kick. No complaints so far. With me being a noob, I imagine it will be quite some time before I notice any difficiences in the bike. Did note the clunk though.
    Buschog, Kyler, playinatwork and 6 others like this.
  16. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    :pope

:D
    Huzband and mayoisnasty like this.
  17. mayoisnasty

mayoisnasty trials wannabe

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  18. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing that seems to be universally agreed to is that the GG bikes ride really well, so you can be confident the bike is not holding you back.

I'm not convinced I ride much better on my 18 TRS than my old 05 GG. The TRS is just a bit more refined and "nicer" to ride.
    It starts easier, the clutch and brakes require less finger strength and the suspension is more bottom resistant yet still plush.
    mayoisnasty and Huzband like this.
  19. P 0 P E Y E

P 0 P E Y E Bald rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am getting to slowly get acquainted with my new to me 03 GG

still riding trails on my 300 xcw with da boys almost weekly but the Trials bike continues to be intriguing. I think I am already reaping rewards from trials practice.

yes I had to do a bunch to get the old girl finished. The last was a gas tank patch.

My Harley and DRZ 400 are sitting more and more as the GG is all fun and no sitting on the seat and going for a bump on a log ride.

I just wish I started on a trials bike. My first bike was a 68 motoguzzi back in 74, now if only it was a trials bike!

Maybee do some Noobe trial event riding in place of my noob hare scramble and turkey runs this summer. Hoping to get some basics dialed in ( nose wheelie, zap, splatter, double blip)

hoping to apply to riding rather than bodily functions
  20. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    :photog:jack