Getting into trials?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Can we VOTE for a Sticky?

1. Yes

2. Nah

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    sceep likes this.
  2. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was an observer for the Fun in Sun Trial yesterday. Again, I learned a bunch and never threw a leg over my bike. It was funny how I could help guys with what they did wrong in the section but I couldn't have done it myself.
    jonnyc21, Ditch, Navin and 1 other person like this.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 1st trials bike is a 2015 pro race 300 which gets used a lot.It has 2 seasons on it now.2015 gg is a parts bin bike as the company was going under.I purchased the bike from experienced trials people and they warned me about proper starting and the 6 into 4 tranny. I float 5th and 6th gear in on the rare occasion I use them and engage kicker before I kick.In 2 years my hard part list is a heavy flywheel weight, 2 brake levers,new rear brake master cylinder,fork seals and bushings ,heavier rear spring and rieger shock rebuild.All this except the rear master cylinder (long story)was needed because of heavy use.There are quite a few GG,s in the club and don't see any horror stories except for the Bart Simpson gear on a 08 250.If I purchased another newer bike I would get a TRS or scorpa mainly because the company's are more stable.Most of these bikes use common suspension and brake parts and easy to get parts for.Between Jacks cycle and Jim Snell GG engine parts are easy to get but I never needed any.
  4. mayoisnasty

mayoisnasty trials wannabe

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. I am definitely taking care when kicking it and shifting practices. I don't know if it is just mine, but out of all of the bikes I have ever owned, this GG gearbox is the least smooth out of all of them. Less than impressed with the clutch as well. I am contemplating a fluid change. It has ATF in it now. I am going to have the bike on the bench for a rear master cylinder rebuild this weekend, so I may try swapping the Atf for some maxima 75w at the same time.
  5. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I feel the same about my daughters Gas Gas 125 on the transmission not being as smooth as other bikes I have or have owned in the past.

I found it shifts a bit smoother but drags a bit more when cold on Maxima 75 but it still isn't as smooth as others. The over all is I like the shifting better on the Maxima and will not go back to ATF but it did come at the cost of that bit of drag.
    riabma77 and mayoisnasty like this.
  6. mayoisnasty

mayoisnasty trials wannabe

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience. Definitely food for more thought. I am dealing with drag with atf.
  7. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    FYI: The drag is near nothing if anything at all when the bike is warm...
    riabma77 and mayoisnasty like this.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run are type F.I have a very nice clutch but a little grabby.I am going to try the maxima and see if it is a little more forgiving.I also think the tranny is not real smooth but do not find it a big issue for trials.I ussaully only use 2cd and 3rd in a section and run my shifter way high.I actually shift up using my heal.Wierd but works for me and keeps my shifter out of harms way better.I also sawed half way threw shifter so it is more likely to break than crack my case or bend a shift fork.I have bent shift forks on every Japanese brand bike and the GG is no different. Big thing on your GG is keep clean oil in it.Besides the tranny bearings the main bearings are lubed by the tranny oil also.I keep up on maintaining the bike and so far it has been good.GG,s are real performance oriented and built light.With some respect like not shifting it like a mx bike I am finding they are a nice bike.I would love a new trs but just can not swing it now.
    mayoisnasty likes this.
  9. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Been wanting a trials bike for awhile. Picked up this Sherco 250 before the governor ordered shelter in place. Makes self isolating more tenable. So far I’ve static balanced with the wheel in left and right positions, rode ever tighter figure 8s, and pulled short, low-speed wheelies. Learning more each time out and having fun! 2F4DD437-9CFE-498D-A88B-B1754D33617E.jpeg
    Mow-ree, Buschog, 10K and 12 others like this.
  10. Metal_JD

Metal_JD n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone, I am looking into getting a used Trials bike just to tinker around in my yard, maybe make a few obstacles and possibly join my local Trials club 5 minutes from where I live, I just want to ride and have fun. I have BMX and MTB experience I have MX and Woods riding experience also I know nothing about Trials bike manufactures , brands, technique names etc. A total Trials virgin per se. Overall I have seen 2 in my area in my price range a 2005 280 TXT gas gas that will absolutely need a rebuild and its priced accordingly ( I don't mind a project like this I've rebulit my bikes before ) and a 2006 Sherco 125 that looks in good shape states that it has top end done with 9 hours. there is a 500 dollar difference between them.

Any input and the pro's and cons of either of these two bikes would be greatly appreciated, BTW I know this will make a difference I'm 47 and on the heavier side Thank you for your input
    Norman Foley likes this.
  11. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the sport!
    I think I would lean towards the 125... great that you have a cub only 5 minutes away - once things open up a bit I would hang out there and see if you can't try out a bike or 2 to get a bit of a feel for things as a lot of it comes down to personal preference.
    Metal_JD, riabma77 and Norman Foley like this.
  12. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Second that. Trials club within 5 minutes is a no brainer is you have no trials experience. Go see those guys and you might even find a bike for sale locally, or surely get to ride a few things and get their thoughts. I wouldn't even think of doing anything else first if the club is that close at hand.
    Metal_JD, jonnyc21, Huzband and 2 others like this.
  13. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two months ago I was basically where you are now. The closest trials club/group is about two hours away but I've found this community to be one of the most helpful and welcoming groups of people I've ever met. It's funny, one of the guys mentioned to me that it's like trials people are hard to find but when you do, you instantly become part of a close knit family with the more experienced folks really putting a lot of effort into making sure you get hooked up properly, find the right bike for you, and get you started up the very impressive learning curve. The best advice I think anyone will give you is to reach out to your local club and introduce yourself. They'll very likely let you ride their bike for a day or two to get a sense of what you're getting in to and then help you find what you're looking for steering you away from the pitfalls.

My first experience was when of these guys invited me up to a private property to roam around on his bike for a day. It was the most fun and pleasurable and strenuous and exhausting experience I'd had in a long time. I was hooked after one day. This group of guys put me on the path to look at several used bikes in my price range until I very quickly found what I was looking for in bike that wasn't even for sale. This group of trials ne'er do wells convinced the guy to sell me his Beta EVO 2T by convincing him it was time for him to move up.

I got a lot of advice about what bikes to avoid (mostly uncertain future or lack of support/parts) and I had narrowed it down to a few Sherco 300's until this EVO 200 popped up. The advice I got was that it would be a better learning platform for me than the more explosive power of the 300 Factory bikes I was looking at. Now having spent 10's of hours on it, I have to completely agree. There isn't anything this bike won't do for me over the next couple of years of my skills improvement and yet it's a bit less likely for it to get away from me in a whisky throttle moment :)

These bikes are pretty easy to work on but you have to decide if you want to wrench or do you want to ride? One of the bikes I was warned off of was Gas Gas due to their uncertain future after being acquired. I would think the Sherco 125 you're looking at would be an easy bike to resell if you decide either this isn't for you or you want more bike. But definitely check in with that local club and I'm betting they'll get you hooked and on the right bike without wasting any time or money.
    aai, Metal_JD, Harvey Krumpet and 3 others like this.
  14. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started a couple of months ago, and I agree about the clubs. Mine is a few hours from me, and I only met them a couple of times. Everybody was very helpful and welcoming.

I don't think is necessary to avoid a specific brand. In my opinion they're all about the same, and is just about how the previous owner took care of the bike.

For newbies, I think 125 is a good platform to start. Unless you like wrenching, the newer the better.
    Metal_JD and Norman Foley like this.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode a 05 Sherco 125 for a bunch of years and now my wife has it. It is a great bike. Parts are available. GG has had troubles but I think @Hoss Cartright still has a lot of parts for them.
    The 125 size will be great for you for a couple years at least. If not more. When it comes time to sell, you should have no problem selling a 125. They sell quicker than the larger bikes.
  16. Metal_JD

Metal_JD n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input and information guys ! I'll look at the local club as soon as the world returns to its regular scheduled programming.
  17. P 0 P E Y E

P 0 P E Y E Bald rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ve been riding my enduro bike once a week and liking it.

I’ve been messing around in my yard with the gg and watching Ryan Young vids.

still feels like I am writing with my left foot.

Going to keep at it and enjoy my slow learning curve.
    Huzband, NMTrailboss, Buschog and 8 others like this.
  18. P 0 P E Y E

P 0 P E Y E Bald rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys rock...trials riders are next level ambassadors of motorcycle eloquence
    Yinzer Moto and Huzband like this.
  19. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    And then there's @lineaway .

:hide
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dirtdog:stfu
    sceep, 10K, Yinzer Moto and 2 others like this.