Getting into trials?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Can we VOTE for a Sticky?

1. Yes

2. Nah

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    Can I ask a question. Do you guys set up the bars in a similar way to other dirt bikes inline with the forks or very slightly either side as preffered?
    I'm spending lots more time on my firts bike a Rev3 and am un decided on what is correct or more comfortable to be starting to get used to?
    Its a bit of a different world and I don't want to get comfortable on what may place limits later, if that makes sense, thanks..
    Huzband likes this.
  2. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As with the video @Huzband posted, the bars should be forward and the levers should be pretty high, it will feel awkward for a while but you will get used to it. You will find yourself moving your dirtbike levers up too.
  4. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine are setup the Ryan Young way, seems to work well.
    jonnyc21 and Huzband like this.
  5. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    jonnyc21 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  6. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    In those two vids Ryan talks about bunny hops, zaps, nose wheelies & such. Things that, if you're new to trials, you won't be thinking about so much. All the same, bars forward is still where you want to be. Everything just works better. Levers up, too. Imagine dropping off a ledge or steep down & your wrist rolls back ever so little, giving you throttle just when you didn't need it. If your levers are down in a position where they're comfortable for standing, you have zero chance getting to them before things get ugly. Keep them up, you'll adapt much quicker than you might think.
  7. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep levers up is key. In his class Ryan begins by setting everyone’s bars and levers up properly.
    Yinzer Moto, jonnyc21 and Huzband like this.
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I preach this to all the dirt bike guys who show up on their new to them trials bikes. Rotate the bars forward, move the levers up, which we do while they are here. And then the first thing they do when they get home is move them back to dirt bike style...:confused
    Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  9. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Last year I took my mountain bike in for some maintenance I wasn't comfortable doing myself. When I picked it up the tech had repositioned my levers down where "he thought" they should be. :bluduh
  10. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is changing the rear tubeless tire on a trials bike (external spokes so no rim strip / spike seal to worry about) materially different from a dirt bike or street bike tire? I need to put some fresh rubber on my bike ASAP. I’ve done probably hundreds of dirt bike tires but haven’t done a trials bike yet.
  11. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Same process, just a lot easier than an Enduro tyre - especially with UHD tubes and dual rim-locks.:thumb
    BikePilot likes this.
  12. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some take a bit to seat the bead. Throw the tire in the sun for a bit and use your favorite tire lube. Might need a strap around the outer circumference to squeeze the bead out to the rim on each side.
    BikePilot likes this.
  13. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! I'll have a go at it here shortly. I have a pair of fresh Dunlops to spoon on. Should improve my backyard trials situation while we are in lockdown :D
    Norman Foley likes this.
  14. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put a tube in the new tire and inflate it to stretch the tire out. This will make getting the bead to seat an easier process. Getting it to fully seat can take a lot of PSI. I inflate to 50 or 60 and leave it for a while, maybe even overnight.
    Mow-ree likes this.
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Dunlops are usually the easiest to mount. It takes 80 PSI plus to bead. Best if you have the clip type chuck connection so you can control the air at a distance. I have never seen a trials tire blow apart, but have seen tires blow and it is scary.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  16. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks yes 80psi in that squishy tire would be pretty scary. I like the tube idea to stretch it out and might do that.
  17. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    With a mounting doughnut he can do it with a hand pump....
    fprintf, Ditch, jonnyc21 and 2 others like this.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, just a lots, and lots of lube. And each rim is different. It was not long ago the rims would not keep a bead with a Dunlop. The doughnut just starts the bead, not some magic vodoo. Having done spilt rims on trucks and I have seen multiple tires explode, trucks, cars, atv`s and motorcycles. Caution with a remote valve is even safer than a tire cage.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  19. Asphalt Assault

Asphalt Assault Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently picked up a 16' Beta 300 and have only managed to go out and ride about 6 or 7 times so far. I was really surprised at just how challenging it is to ride a trials bike halfway proficiently which makes it far more appealing to continue to learn. There is a great group of folks here in SoCal who have given me some pointers along the way. Here is the one photo of me not falling on my head over the weekend.

Cougar Buttes.JPG
    DyrWolf, Metal_JD, Buschog and 6 others like this.
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trials riding is also easier with the correct tire pressure. 3-4 rear, 6-7 front.