1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting into trials?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Can we VOTE for a Sticky?

1. Yes

2. Nah

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Your heals have dropped a lot. Watch out for this bad habit. :)
    Asphalt Assault likes this.
  2. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a good thing when riding horses :-)
    Norman Foley and Asphalt Assault like this.
  3. Metal_JD

Metal_JD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well if anybody wanted to know what a newborn calf looks like walking right outta the womb here it is. Here is after my first hour.
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not bad at all. I was a little fearful for the sheet metal on the car, beginners and cars don’t mix well sometimes. Especially when playing with wheelies.
    Huzband and Metal_JD like this.
  5. Metal_JD

Metal_JD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LMAO !! I thought the same thing after.. a close call and then a decision to call it quits for the day!!
    Harvey Krumpet and Yinzer Moto like this.
  6. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    I learned to take smaller sessions instead of persisting for hours and mucking it all up from fatigue.
    It's surprising how much energy it takes, and where I can ride hard all day on my Africa Twin, i'll need to take a break from the trials bike and rest my arms after an hour or less.
    I like you vid too mate. I'm appalled at how hard it is to look good on a Trials bike so its nice to see others brave enough to post themselves learning also. Good on ya mate!
  7. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I roped in another one of my big-bike riding friends. :D He bought a 2020 Beta Evo 250 day before yesterday. It's coming from out of state so he won't have it for a week or two yet. I feel like a proud papa. :-)
    alpineboard, sceep, NZRalphy and 10 others like this.
  8. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That bike looks quite familiar! :-) They are a ton of fun, though quite exhausting to me. I keep telling myself I need to get in better bike shape, yet here I am sitting on the computer instead of working out.
  9. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You and me both. After 2 hours I have legs like overcooked spaghetti.
    fprintf likes this.
  10. Metal_JD

Metal_JD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok so I changed the spring on my bike to a heavier one, because I am a heavier rider. I have close to zero free sag as suggested by someone, and to my surprise my " full locked " balance has gone from less than 10 seconds to 30 to 40 seconds. Is this just a coincidence or is it trials bike science !! :lol3
    alpineboard, Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  11. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Trials bike science. It's because you have more weight on the front.
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What happened, About 2.5 years ago I traveled from the u.p of michigan to Missouri to buy my 1st trials bike.Got messed up pretty bad in a national enduro and after over 30 years of enduros, mx and flat track said time to quit on the red line riding.Never road a trials bike before, only seen one in real life one time.So I purchased a real sweet 2015 GG300 pro,took a lesson from some good riders (did not help at 1st)and found a club in Wisconsin to ride with.My 1st trials I crashed hard in the 1st 10 seconds of the 1st section on a pretty good step up for a new trials rider.No way this dude that ruled offroad is going to start in novice so I started in intermediate.I can jap zap,double blip but get my ass wooped on the tight corners.I never learned the basics of trial and you need to start there. It bores the hell out of me to practice ballance and figure 8,s but I just purchased a new trs and now that is what I practice. In 4 weeks we have our 1st points trials because of the zombie apocalypse and I am practicing to at least place in top 3.My advice is if you want to compete learn the basics first unlike me.
  13. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is so true! You can't build without a rock solid foundation. Excellent post.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  14. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    It's really hard to convince people that working on the basics is worthwhile. A good portion of our riders are enduro enthusiasts that got a trials bike because Webb and Jarvis came from trials. Most of these riders go straight to intermediate (we ride novice-amateur-intermediate | advanced-expert-pro). Some turn in surprising performances and others just appear frustrated all day.

I sometimes wonder if we need a bash-and-crash class so these riders can bounce off the stuff in the advanced line without turning much just to keep our attendance numbers at reasonable levels.

I have one buddy that would be an amazing trials rider if he could just talk himself into turning the damn bike. I tell him to just ride whatever he wants in the section and punch the five. Part of the problem is that these same guys are really competitive and hate taking points. It's kind of confusing to me that they are only interested in big obstacles while, voicing their disinterest in actually riding trials and at the same time care about every point they get.

As someone who enjoys focusing on the basics and progression, I find it kind of funny when I get similar scores to these go-fast riders. I see them taking all their points in the turns and technical bits while my points come from obstacles I'm not quite comfortable with. Don't worry, I'll catch you! I moved up to intermediate at the start of this season and it's been quite the learning experience.:p3rry
    MT 007, LemmeTry, Yinzer Moto and 3 others like this.
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding in straight line is not trials. The bikes can go over almost anything, what you are seeing is they are just holding on real good.
  16. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    For the most part, yes.

The one person in my example is very impatient, but spends a lot of time working on the fun techniques with little spent on the basics. When I can coax him into actually riding and not just riding up things, he's very skilled.

If the hold-on'ers want to pay their entry and help "my" small club grow, I'm all for it. I love trials and I desperately want the sport to grow, but I think part of that growth is finding ways to involve the hold-on'ers and letting them play.

From what I can tell, people who don't appreciate trials think it's boring. Normal people see Bou or Smage and say "WOW, that's incredible!" At the club level, it looks boring. It's a lot of fun for me to watch an amateur level rider in a section because I understand the struggle and I know how a lot of these guys ride, so I know that when the do a specific thing and don't dab that they are performing at the top of their [physical] abilities. Outsiders don't see that.

What's so cool about double blipping a rock you can just ride over if you're going fast enough? To normal people (if you ride trials you aren't normal), it's pointless. To enduro riders who can't grasp what makes Webb and Jarvis so good, it's pointless. People don't see full lock turns and balancing as skills they need in enduro because they're always moving forward. They don't understand that these basics help you link the big moves when you aren't moving forward and give you the control to stay moving.

I noticed a similar thing with street riding. My family has always been proponents of spending a little time in a parking lot at the start of each season. An hour spent tuning up the muscle memory for emergency stops, evasive turns, and figure eights is time well spent. Now try to explain that to the go-fast, throttle turning, hold-on'ers... Good luck. You can't convince someone that something is fun or worthwhile.

Trials is kinda like golf. If you aren't a golfer, it looks like someone is just swinging a stick and walking around in a field while wearing funny clothes. Instead, we wear pajamas and ride bikes with no seat around 100 sq ft plots while we pretend the floor is lava.

Maybe some of the impatience can be attributed to different generations, but no one my age or younger is riding. I'm 33 and I'm frequently one of the youngest riders at a given meet. Most people younger than me are there with their parents and not old enough to drive to a meet. I can't even find people my age to ride dirt bikes with, forget trials.

Long story short, I don't think gate keeping will help the sport long term. I think that investing some time in figuring out how to bring new riders in and help them to slow down, or at least have fun at the same time as us, will yield more ridership than insisting that this is the only way to ride a motorcycle with no seat. With any luck, these hold-on'ers might stick around.

Another thing that I see bringing people in is how easy it is to actually ride with your family. A meet can be an amazing place for a family to come out and ride where no one gets left behind.

I started trials very recently and this is based on what I struggle with when talking to my friends or what I see at meets. It's still hard for me when I see a person [I ride with outside of a competition] come to a meet and have a bad time. It's often a meet that I put hours into setting up. I'm not saying we need to change the sport, I love the sport. I just spend a lot of time thinking how we can expand the sport to include more people and help some riders see the light.
  17. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do not change a Sport for those that are mentally challenged to understand the complexity`s of various degrees of challenges. If Supercross took out all the hard turns, Stewart would have been the winningest ever. Not just the fastest to the first corner.
  18. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    They did that Bob, it's called Red Bull Straight Rhythm! :y0!
    Huzband, Junglejeff1 and lineaway like this.
  19. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I am watching Supercross live from Salt Lake!
    Norman Foley likes this.
  20. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well where the hell else would it be from!?! :jack
    lineaway likes this.