Getting into trials?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Can we VOTE for a Sticky?

1. Yes

2. Nah

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rokhopr

rokhopr 2019 TRRS 250

Oddometer:
    Two basic types of devices 1) dedicated PLB's (no text, no call, no monthly fees) 2) multi-function devices like Spot, Garmin (texting, GPS, etc, various levels of service plans, monthly fees)

This 5 minute video explains way better than I can type how the dedicated PLB's are designed and function. The device and the supporting infrastructure are designed specifically for emergency search and rescue, nothing else:

Like anything, several options and trade-offs to work through to decide what best suits your needs.

The survivor stories (https://www.acrartex.com/stories) are interesting and one thing that stood out for me during research was many rescues are of experienced solo adventurers that just a silly slip or fall put them in a bad situation in a hurry.

I typically carry a whistle in my pocket as well since even at our local riding area many of the trials sections are off-trail and not typically visible to the passing ATV\UTV\Dirt Bike rider.
  2. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We've got it good here. Can be as dumb as we want and get picked up at no cost. Foreigners get that here too without insurance I believe.
    The only stipulations for pushing the button is that it is a serious injury or you are in doubt to your safety.

The rescue services are not fully funded by Government but have sponsors and also rely community fundraising.

Some rescues are probably marginal but at lest they are quick with a BLB alert rather than requiring a prolonged search.

I did hear of one case on the west coast where the chopper arrived to find that the victims had been delayed a bit and were just running out of food. The pilot was pissed off and left without them.

I use a Spot Gen3
  3. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure why all the chat about location beacons in the "getting into trials" thread - it is usually pretty tough to get lost on the loop (unless you are talking about the jurasic event where Pat ended up goin in circles :-) )
    North ride, StanBo and fprintf like this.
  4. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I get lost in sections sometimes, forgetting which line to take, maybe it would help with that?
    StanBo, sceep, Junglejeff1 and 4 others like this.
  5. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    :photog:D
    oldtrialer, Huzband and 10K like this.
  6. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    It appears you've lost your mind, maybe someone will Spot it!
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bored because we are not getting our trials fix so just typical guy bs.The zombie apocalypse causes us to look for release and many of us ride other bikes besides trials.I agree with you but the state of affairs sucks right now.I hope we get back to just talking pure trials soon but this zombie apocalypse is really sucking bad.New bike,new boots,new helmet and so far no district events so far.Hate to say it but maby I should have got a offroad bike so I can go blow off some steam on the local single track that upper michigan is famous for.
    StanBo, y4m4 and jonnyc21 like this.
  8. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm just trying to poke a little fun as I am stuck with only one eye and am not even allowed to drive a car, or lift anything over 10 lbs - off to see the Doctors today - hopefully better news ahead for everyone.
  9. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a call yesterday from a fellow who is trying to start up a local enduro cross series - Last year they took over our trials area at a local riding area to use our obstacles without asking so I was glad he at least called. He was asking if I would reach out to our trials riders to invite them to join the enduro cross races the thinking being it would be good for both sports. I wouldn't say no but not sure if it will really help to get more people into trials?
    My sense is it would just get more dirtbikers thinking they can "ride" a dirtbike over trials like obstacles so why buy a trials bike? - Of course as pointed out numerous times in this thread they would still be completely missing the point of the "sport" of observed trials.
    alpineboard and jonnyc21 like this.
  10. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good way to get your riding area destroyed.
    alpineboard, Yinzer Moto and jonnyc21 like this.
  11. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah - We really only use it 1 or 2 times a year so not too upset and always happy to see more people out riding any sort of dirt bike. I have reserved the right to use their course obstacles to incorporate into sections when we do want to hold a trials event. My biggest investment (other than time) was bringing in these rocks from a local quarry but seeing them getting more use isn't a bad thing... Rock1p.jpg
  12. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I take full responsibility for the GPS thread de-rail. My apologies.

Kinda tying in with the enduro posts - all my riding is on enduro trails but with trials philosophy and technique, the main trials scene in NZ is in the South Island, 1000km away so I just ride what I can. When enduro riders see what the trials bike can do and how much fun they are, a lot express interest in getting one and have a good chat with me.
    Still, I have yet to see anybody else turn up with a trials bike. I live in hope.
    StanBo, fprintf, jonnyc21 and 2 others like this.
  13. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    212lbs pretty green rider looking to get into trials.

These new gasgas TXT250s are really hard to get off my noggin. Zero APR for 48 payments. Pricing is pretty damn nice. A local shop that sponsors Dual Sports sells them (as do most KTM dealers now).

Any major land-minds that are with GasGas that should have me running away?

It seems that all of the make have very low run amounts.

There was a suggestion to stay away from GasGas because they have been thru many owners.......

Thanks!
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I've had a few GG Pros over the years and never any problems. I might steer clear of an old worn out one, but it sounds like you are buying new. Transmissions as noted can be problematic (again no issues for me). As long as you're riding the bike like a trials bike I wouldn't worry. If you are racing around like a trail bike, there are better choices. I would also buy from a dealer who has a strong dirt bike background, or better yet a trials back ground. We have a few KTM dealers around here, who could care less about dirt bikes, they could just as well be selling furniture as long as their making money.
    StanBo and Norman Foley like this.
  15. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uncle Gordy loves Gas Gas, ask him.

They all look the same upside down.

16. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
  17. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gas Gas has become so cheap in Canada a guy may be willing to overlook the shortcomings. Have seen them listed under 8k cdn.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  18. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the use it will get I don't see getting into the upper gears.

This will be my first 2T so thanks for the heads up on the full synth.

Yep new is the goal.

I have the KTM to be a fool on lol.

The one I am looking at is a noted ktm dealer and suspension shop. So strong dirt bike is there. Strong trials is harder for me in my current location. Lucked out that the shop I got my excf is an older dirt focused shop that is local. They haven't started carrying Gas Gas or trials yet. Plan on giving them a shout before I chase down the bike I saw posted online. Just incase.

That is a good point lol.

Same here. More than what used is being sold for but at that point it isn't a 10+ year old bike and I don't plan on getting rid of it. So it will be used.

Another question. Seeing that the tanks are so small.

Would it pay to get some non ethanol fuel and do my premix from there?
  19. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the plus side on the later Gasser`s is they redesigned the center cases, since they broke so often. That way when you replace the transmission or when the shift shaft breaks inside the shift drum, you can do it without splitting the motor! Now that is some forward thinking.
    StanBo, Gordy and Norman Foley like this.
  20. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Not sure that's a positive...

But, my experience with a two year ownership of a 2002 280 Pro was good. In spite of the reputation & negatives, I had zero problems. However, I wouldn't buy a bike that old these days.