Getting into trials?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Can we VOTE for a Sticky?

1. Yes

2. Nah

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    With all of the good bikes out there now, why would anyone buy a GG? Serious and not trolling. Unless you are locked into that dealer and trust him, then yeah.
    I mean, there are about 4 other brands that you don’t have to “ know the drill to baby the kicker” or “make sure to not shift it weird to avoid blowing up the transmission “ or other quirks. For gods sake, we have manufacturers that have not only fixed their kickstarting issues but have fuel injection and one is now offering electric start. GG is trying to live off of their Adam Raga days which were over about 6 years ago and they haven’t changed much if anything since.
    We have almost zero GG in our club now except some of the old junk that lower riders are hanging onto because they are too cheap to move on or have some creepyGG cult thing going.
    There......did that help any?? :lol2
  2. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, that is about the same time that they sent out a bunch of faulty main bearings in their fancy redesigned cases.
    Huzband and StanBo like this.
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    They only did that cuz they did not pay the bills. So bought the cheapest they could afford. Week old bikes needing main bearings, amazing.
    Now ask Gordy how many TRS`s he has bought since replacing the transmission on his only Gas Gas.
    StanBo and Gordy like this.
  4. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    3 counting today! There are a few other brands that make the cut but GG is not one of them. KTM has done nothing but put marketing lipstick on a dated turd.
    Give me one, hell yeah, I’ll ride it but not with my money.
    Sponsored riders love them, I hear......
    StanBo likes this.
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    And sourcing a good TIG welder to keep the muffler together. That bike could literally fall over off of the stand and bend the muffler back into the tire. A few of those and then it just broke off. I never melted my end cap like several others though. :pope
    StanBo likes this.
  6. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fat lady said why even sing.
    :deal
  7. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking for me I have been on Sherco's site, GasGas, TRX and Beta. From a new guys point of view looking in. Most sites don't list their pricing so it is a guessing game what they will charge you. You can find some hints in what they might when looking up older shootouts from magazines.

The GG has their MSRP on the site. You can see it on dealerships and then find retail prices that are less. So there is scale.

I don't take it as trolling. You took effort to type it, trust me it is appreciated.

Not locked into this dealer. Trust them because of most stories I hear about them and they have sponsored events I have ridden in. One thing I remember reading about dealers is to give points to those that are involved in the sport of motorcycling. Not just the sales of bikes.

Telling the truth I know there are brands that have electric start too but only from posts and I have to do more research into who those are. You totally have me there.

Didn't know that there was fuel injection but have read of them being 4t and that they weren't true to the old school trials ways. You got me there too.

They might be living off or Adam Raga but damn I am so green I don't even know who that is (I will be looking him up though).

What are the bikes the fill your ranks now that are being sold new from dealers?

Any? Hells yeah it helped a BUNCH!

Thank you :D

Zero snark here total thanks.

I agree with you from what I have seen KTM made another "level" of exc-f by making a hybrid of their parts bin. I thought it smart.

Thought they might offer the GG trials bike in an orange color with some new design. Then with the FSM and repair manuals to follow as well as spare parts stocking. We will see.
    Gordy likes this.
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    We might have got carried away but it was all true. Adam Raga is the top rider for TRS now. Gordy went riding his 2020 today and went home with an xtra bike. A 2021 ELECTRIC start.
    Good luck on whatever bike you end up with.
    StanBo and Harvey Krumpet like this.
  9. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    If you want full honesty:
    It’s the only bike you’ve ever owned and then only one year and not ridden hard.
    We are talking bikes with lots of ride time and ridden hard in the upper classes.
    Yours is (apparently) good and you didn’t even know it was a 125 until after you had it a while so I’m not sure about your real life relevant knowledge about any of this. Mine was not and I’ve listed the reasons which are corroborated by one of the most knowledgeable guys in the sport. Are you calling me a liar about my GG experiences? Do we sit silent and “hope” that a guy coming here for advice gets a good one???
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Gas Gas Pro motor was right on the cutting edge of the lightest and most powerful trials motor. During development Colomer was the test rider. He got to where he could not trust the bike, it broke so many times. 2002 and 2003 were horrid years for the bike. Lots and lots of issues. 2004 they had a bike that should of been the first model sold. Lots of owners had no problems at all, and others were not so lucky. My `04 raga made it to
    2013 when Garrett went over the bars in our yard. I watched him do it. Broke two gears in the transmission. That was a Saturday, I took it apart Sunday and It was put back together Wednesday. We bought Garrett a new Sherco that Friday. The Pro motor has had the most major engine troubles of any trials bike ever. It is also one of the funnest bikes to ride. Get over the insults to the brand as they are well deserved. Go ride your bike and have fun. Your comments are gladly welcome, but the history will always be there. It`s the Yugo of Trials.
    North ride, Huzband, Gordy and 2 others like this.
  11. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Passion in debating is good!

I looked up Adam Raga and will watch some of his stuff. Keep my eyes open if he has done any podcasts.

Right now I am binge listening to the Trials Asturalia Podcast. There are gems of information from there from gentlemen and ladies who I know nothing of.

"You must learn to find grip." man that was a great one.

Thanks for the well wishes I can't wait to get on a true trials bike.

I don't know enough to comment on the backstory but I will be reading old posts.

Thanks for chiming in. I have a sorta fanboi goal of a bike I would like to get and maybe I will end up with that.

Short experience isn't worthless. Your short is two steps (just throwing something out for reference) ahead of where I am. Share your opinion. I am horrible with names but I am getting to recognize the posters here.

They are all grains of salt. Shoot I offer advice to riders who I have two steps of knowledge over. I know they appreciate it.

I have dealt with "the bike is always the problem". Owner of a KTM 250 EXC-F. Dealt with tons of "oh it will blow up" posts online. Only to run into a rider with a hurt 350 EXC-F on a trail ride. Limped him out of the woods on my CRF. So here is the damn internet coming to life!

The issue with his bike ended up being a blown motor. After talking to him I learned his brother in law had installed a tuner, exhaust, intake mods. Before the time/miles that I would consider the bike broken in.

Long story sorry but I know that there can be bikes that are a bit more high strung and if the performance is there I am fine with treating them right.

As it is now my DRZ gets "KTM level pampering". It has never been a happier bike. Never put away wet and dirty. Now maintained at a higher level.

Thanks for the history!
    AteamNM likes this.
  12. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    That's a smokin deal on a good bike. I had one of those horrible '03 GG Pros. I did break the kickstart lever, which seemed odd but nothing else. I only had that bike for two years. Then I bought a 250 Beta that ran like a 125 and puked gas out the carburetor for the five years I had that one. Last couple of GG were trouble free.

Whatever you do, don't suggest buying a Sherco or Vertigo either. The Sherco atrocities of making a rear brake lever without adjustment stop, leaking petcocks and difficult oil changes. And Vertigo's are a great bike...if yours is lucky enough to start.:D

They all of their issues, some more than others. I'd buy a Honda...
    Gordy likes this.
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Oh shit and I almost forgot about TRS shifting problems, I'd stay away from them too. Looks like were still back to Honda.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I have been wearing out lower heim joins on my TRS pretty frequently. The muffler end cap is fragile. They put heavy steel forks on the bike. There is some type of coating on the inside of the motor that flakes off.
    Norman Foley and 10K like this.
  16. trials935

trials935 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only thing that I worry about on my Honda is what bling part to buy next!

:hide
    2whlrcr likes this.
  17. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Ricardo, you are taking this all wrong. You called my true stories about GG bullshit. They are not.
    I don’t have any idea how or why you got all pumped up about that brand in such a short time but relax. All I am saying is that you inevitably jump in to defend the brand when you have little history of ownership and no history of owning anything else. I know it’s your first bride but there are prettier girls out there that will treat you right.

It’s always YOUR money in whatever we do, so if you are happy that is all that counts for you. I chimed in here to let a guy who was seeking opinions on a bike know what I know. If someone wanted to buy a Ford diesel 6.0L I’d probably let him know what I know about that experience too. I know I’d get a lot of feedback from the fans but to stay silent is almost criminal IMO.
    Carry on :wave
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    18 had a redesign. Fixed.
  19. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    HOW is steel forks on the lightest bike a problem.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Could be 2 pounds lighter if they put the other forks on there.
    2whlrcr likes this.