Getting into trials?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Can we VOTE for a Sticky?

1. Yes

2. Nah

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Gordy is giving Lineaway competition for the curmudgeon award. :augie
    Gordy, 2whlrcr, FASTRacing and 4 others like this.
  2. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I just got off the phone with Mike at The Tryals Shop. Downpayment has been sent on a new Beta Evo 200. It is going to be a few months which is perfect. Gives me time to get my house in order.

Thank you all for your debating and information.
    Junglejeff1, LemmeTry, y4m4 and 13 others like this.
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well you did well. Nice choice for a dealer too.
  4. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    This is what happens when I no longer have a HR Manager to reign me in. :flip
    lineaway and StanBo like this.
  5. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now we are talking! Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the Beta Evo 200 club. I'm a newbie rider but around here quite a few of the "experienced" guys really like that particular size... not as challenging to ride as a 300, easier to start and enough oomph to get up most hills (unlike the 125 with my porky 200 pounds). I hope you'll love it and happy to see another 200 in the Northeast.
    StanBo and wheelieman14 like this.
  6. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must be psychic.... There's a Tryals Shop sticker in the envelope I mailed you today.

Good choice on bike and dealer! Congratulations!
    jonnyc21 and StanBo like this.
  7. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:

Maybe there could be a dedicated thread about the absolute horrors and criminal POS GasGas trials bikes are. Could have saved so much time.

:hide
  8. Yokomo

Yokomo Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club! Trials bikes are awesome! But only GasGas's! Beta's suck! ;-)

StanBo, Yinzer Moto and Norman Foley like this.
  9. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike ! Those Beta 200's are sweet.
  10. StanBo

Oddometer:
    Old post but great videos. I watched the first. Yes the volume is high.

But I didn't go to the class and will take what I will get.

I did the advice on when to pop up on a transfer on the hillclimb. Also the tractoring method.

Side note:

Anyone else find themselves starting this thread from scratch in one window with another viewing the latests posts in another? :loco
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  11. StanBo

Oddometer:
    Thank you I am pretty damn psyched. Can't wait to practice on it.

I have to grow a pair. Most of the pine lands riding I do is flat. The only time there are climbs are in PA and NY. Until recently something as simple as folding in my mirrors "made my bike smaller".

Mental pictures and an overthinking mind.

We will run into each other. Plans are made to attend any local trials event even as a spectator. Gives me a place to ride the big girl.

Slowly starting to understand the ribbing on here. LOL

Thank you.

So far the full parts fiche is on my tablet. I have the owners, maintenance and shop manual on the tablet as well. Going to reach to Beta and Mike to see if they sell printed versions. If not I will print them and get them bound.

"Dude there is no need for a battery tender." - said to a friend (trying to get him into trials as well....)

I have a ton to learn.
    jonnyc21 and Norman Foley like this.
  12. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    If you ride with the guys in Allentown before your bike comes, you'll probably ride with @Super Dirt Dud. He has a Beta 200 that I think he will let you try.
    StanBo likes this.
  13. StanBo

Oddometer:
    Small world! We are members of a riding club that I just joined. So we have a connection now. Who knows!?

With my job we are pretty much locked in rocking and rolling until May.

Just got a Facebook acceptance to the Eastern PA Trials group. They are active and everything looks AWESOME!

Is it me or is this ok because it is hard to get into and figure out?

My thought being if you worked hard to find the info and get into this sport you wouldn't be bothered when something goes wrong out on the trail..........

Many times during a ride Murphy visits and riders aren't prepared........

Just a side thought.
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you get your bike and hit a event it all comes together fast.I suggest grab some extra levers to bring with you.The bikes hold up well in trials use and just go over the bike and make sure everything is snugged up when you get it.On a new bike I dump the tranny oil after the 1st hour,then 2 then 3.Riding trials is a whole new world.You will at first find how truly much you suck at riding.I have raced off-road for over 30 years and half that was A class.I can smoke off-road but after 3 years still suck in trials but damn is it fun.Do what I didn't do and learn to Ballance and turn tight 1st.I can splat all day but loose in the tight tech stuff.Dabs add up quickly.If I had no club to ride with I would sell the bike.Riding with others is such a blast.When we practice together we play trials game similar to horse in basketball.Tend to push each other hard to do some stuff that is over our heads and bikes get scratched up.I also find I am in way less pain after a day of trials compared to rocking my 300 ktm.Cracked my collar bone last week on the ktm in a 3rd gear get off after nailing a stump and hit a pine tree.Going to spend a lot of time in garage this winter just trying to Ballance my TRS.Next years district 16 schedule just came out and I am already getting pumped up for a hopefully better 2021.Only thing left this year is for the fire breathing dragons to attack earth and 2021 should be good lol.
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fire breathing dragons are from the book of revelations. I am more worried about the astroid everybody at NASA forgot about since all this remote working and nobody doing anythin ng but zoom time.:norton:ear:fpalm:jjen:hide:pope:eek2
    Junglejeff1, StanBo and Norman Foley like this.
  16. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20201126-000910.png do yourself a favor and put plastic fork gaurds on your bike.I scratched a tube on my 1st bike in my 1st meet.These gaurds have saved my forks multiple times.Stu at Jack's cycle sells some real good ones that don't break.There are some out there that are pretty but complete garbage.Tape them on as they can get snagged and pulled off.My 1st meet on this new bike I was screwing around doing a double blip and bike caught traction and shot over my head.It landed sideways on a 5 feet concrete thing in a abandoned water part we were riding in.Almost cut a gaurd in 2 it hit so hard but saved my fork tube.That was the 1st tank of gas in this bike lol.
    y4m4, StanBo, Norman Foley and 2 others like this.
  17. StanBo

Oddometer:
    My thought was to get to events and hang with the guys. Until I am capable of competing I figured I would volunteer or help mind if someone needs. Anything to cut down on the learning curve.

Extra levers are on my list. A goal is to find something in the two finger spacing. I installed a true 2 finger clutch lever on my DRZ to stop myself from smashing my ring and pinky up. Thank you.

Will add the tranny oil schedule to my spreadsheet. Building the sheet with all of the nuggets of advice found on this thread with author, date and area.

The KTM also rattle hardware loose. I now have a rainbow of thread lockers and go over the bike checking tightness on Sundays after cleaning. All of the bikes get that now.

Suck at riding? I can beat you. I have been riding for 5 years. 4 of which were solo in the woods just keeping "alive". Until last October when I did a group ride with Sena headsets. Speaking to my buddies and calling out obstacles as I lead caused me to calm down. Now the learning curve is finally climbing.

It is all gravy. I stink! Lol

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at a set of Jitsie protectors. Yours look BOMB proof.

Sounds like the first time I rode my KTM. I had never dealt with "whisky throttle". The DRZ while being a larger motor doesn't breath the same as the KTM. Uphill whoop section. Third whoop where the DRZ would continue to tractor in the rev band the KTM had way more breath and the suspension soaked up the hits. Speed was higher. Bike started ripping as it caught grip.

Was lucky to have the cycles left to grab the clutch and save it.

Checking my personal ride report "I must have said HOLY SHIT 18 times".

I can't wait for the Holy Shits this Trials riding will supply.

Attached Files:

18. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    "Extra levers are on my list. A goal is to find something in the two finger spacing. I installed a true 2 finger clutch lever on my DRZ to stop myself from smashing my ring and pinky up."

You are going to find that you will not have proper control needed for trials using two fingers on the clutch. It will become clear when you start riding. The "Oh Shit" moments are definitely related to fine throttle and clutch control! Don't ask me how I know this! :D
    Huzband and StanBo like this.
  19. StanBo

Oddometer:
    If I read this correctly you are hinting to the use of a single finger?

If so you are totally right and I am there now.

Single finger when the terrain is technical. Majority of the ride up until it is time to ride streets home and I am tired. Then two fingers are used.

All of the "trials" practice is done single finger. Luckily learned that watching a Hard Enduro rider giving advice.

"Three fingers on the grips when the terrain is rough helps keep the bike up. One finger for finer control." - think he was Italian, remember captions going on the video.

Oh and the builder of the lever had an option for single finger lever. Those are now spares for the just incase.
  20. StanBo

Oddometer:
    What book is this? Couldn't snag it on a few google searches......