Getting out west. 15 years in the making.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Aug 6, 2016.

1. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Grumpy Santa

Oddometer:
    Brilliant trip, excellent ride report. I will be covering much of the ground that you did in my upcoming ride in September (link to ride report in my sig line).

I hope our trip is as memorable as yours, less the having to buy a "spare" bike part! :lol3
    windblown101 likes this.
  2. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I got back to Canyon City and looked up my Cousins Restaurant as I had prmoised. As I walked in I spotted her at the grill flipping what turned out to be one of the best damn burgers I've ever had. We had a great chat and I told her how awesome it had been to stop by the ranch and visit with her folks. If you're ever in Canon City I heartily recommend stopping in and grabbing one of these burgers. It's called Bunk House Burgers and they are truly delicious (and huge!)
    [​IMG]

I made my way back to the Hotel and worked out a rough plan of action for the following day, my last day in the mountains of Colorado before heading east towards home. My thoughts were playing a melancholy game of tug-of-war between remorse at the thought of leaving this great state versus the slowly growing desire to sleep in my own bed and see my own mountains once again.[/QUOTE]

I ate at your cousins restaurant this summer. The food was excellent and so we're the people. It had a very comfortable home like feeling and the staff seemed to genuinely care, it was nice. We stopped there because I have a friend whose name is Bunky. 20160808_172314.jpg
    gasgas17 and windblown101 like this.
  3. shift

shift Not Dead Yet

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR man! If I hadn't has so many different states on my xc agenda, this is what I would liked to have done. All those "bumps in the road" were just character for your trip. Glad you pressed on under the pressure.
    windblown101 likes this.
  4. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. Take trip, bike breaks, buy a new one, continue trip. Badass.
    windblown101 and daslipper like this.
  5. jimmycapp

jimmycapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome Trip
    windblown101 likes this.
  6. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed the ride report ---
    windblown101 likes this.
  7. stravis

stravis Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report. I've enjoyed tagging along.
    windblown101 likes this.
  8. Ken0312

Ken0312 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I greatly enjoyed reading this ride report.
    windblown101 likes this.
  9. CowboyRR

CowboyRR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow!!!
  10. Hedonist222

Hedonist222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing

I had a wonderful time reading through
    windblown101 likes this.
  11. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great trip report. Many of the spots you've reported are part of the route I have planned for this coming Sept. I'll do my best to hit Bunk House Burgers when I pass through Canon City.
  12. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It's a worthy stop. Bring your appetite. :)
    Cav47 and sierrastone like this.
  13. Cav47

Cav47 Look, Lean, and Pray!

Oddometer:
    Last year on the way out to British Columbia, I happened to roll into Canon City. I spent a good amount of time at Bunk House. Listening to the ladies there talk about their family ranch and how the meat is sourced there made the experience even better. 9ADB9BE2-0818-4F66-8300-70AA43743E40.jpeg
    These are the two ladies that ran the place that day.

5443BD73-04B8-46E8-8D3C-2BFF35AFD7D9.jpeg
    Here is the excerpt from my Ride Report on the FJR forum. I only post this here in hopes of bringing your people some more business. Thanks for writing your adventures up. Gives me a great diversion during the CoVid shutdown.

Clipped:
    So I went from Stratton to CanonCity for an early lunch. As many of you know, I really hate going to chain restaurants on a trip. I stop at a light and a guy on a Harley rolls up. Here is the actual conversation.

Me: Any good places to eat around here?

Him: You like Chili's

Me: Yeah, but not on a trip, I like to try local places on a trip. Any other suggestions? What about that Burger Joint up there?

Him: I don't like that place much.

Me: How come?

Him: The burgers there are real thick and juicy. I like my burgers flat and plain. And they put way too many topping on them.

Me: Take care, Ride safe.

Me after he is out of earshot: Guess someone is enjoying that Legal Weed here in Colorado too much.

I drove right to Bunk House Burgers and procured me this! Western Bacon Bison Burger. It was out of sight awesome.

Great story here is that 2 women opened up the place after working for others in the restaurant business for a long time. One of them had a ranch outside of town that raised the beef and bison that they served. Best burger I have ever had.
    [​IMG]

When I was ready to hit the road again, the ladies asked me where I was headed and I said I needed to be in Montrose that evening. One started to write me out some directions of a good route.
    Canon City, Monarch pass, Hotchkiss, Cimarron, Montrose. Would take me through Black Canyon. I knew this place from previous travels. It was only fitting to head back there. 300 miles was certainly doable after the 200 already done this morning.

clipped.
    MaNDan, AbeWhat, chudzikb and 2 others like this.
  14. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    thanks for finding and bumping this ride report, i really enjoyed it! i lived in colorado springs for a few years, great to see so many familiar places... and next time i visit, i’ll be sure to pass through cañon city for a burger.

best regards,

johnnyg
    windblown101 likes this.
  15. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    Any update on the Triumph? Did you keep the 1190? Thanks
  16. $ixxgun

$ixxgun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report
    windblown101 likes this.
  17. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I have the Triumph. It took awhile to get around to digging in to it. Post Mordum revealed internal damage likely brought on by a severe drowning a few weeks prior to my trip. I sourced a low mile used motor out of a crashed bike for a killer price and swapped out the motor. I've put another 15k miles on it since including a nice run around some of the offroad opportunities in Newfoundland. The Triumph is now semi put out to pasture. I dont go looking for challenges to tackle on it anymore. Just street and graded forest roads. It deserves a break. Dont know if I'll sell it or not someday.

I kept the 1190 for a year and rode it a fair bit. Sold it to finance a new 690. Then sold the 690 to finance buying a 790advr. Been changing KTMs like underwear, lol.

But that's kind of my nature with KTM. Love'em and leave'em. Though I'm still pretty smitten by the 790 for the type of long range exploring I love.
    ROAD DAMAGE and snglfin like this.
  18. snglfin

Oddometer:
    thanks for the update on the tiger... i was curious to find out why the oil consumption was so high - was there any loss of performance? can you please elaborate more on what you found inside the engine?

thanks again for the wonderful ride report and excellent photos.

best regards,

johnnyg
  19. windblown101

Oddometer:
    The most noticable difference in performance was simply rough running stumbling at low rpms. When I got around to taking a peek after I got home the fIrst thing I did was a compression and leak down test and results were poor on all three cylinders but did not appear to be related to valves.

Tore it down and found copious amounts of carbon build up on all three pistons. I starting pricing out potential parts I might need and after that went in search of a low mileage replacement without measuring everything to see what was good or not.

Here is what the pistons looked like after a cleanup bath. The oil control rings are so small my old eyes would need a good magnifying glass to spot whether the ends had somehow slipped over each other.

The replacement motor had head damage which is why it was dirt cheap. I put the head from my old motor on it. Bikes been fine ever since. :)

20200413_125811.jpg 20200413_125742.jpg 20200413_125734.jpg 20200413_125721.jpg 20200413_124657.jpg
  20. snglfin

Oddometer:
    thanks for the response, windblown, and for including photos... i’ve got an ‘06 girlie tiger with 45k miles, and i have to add about a liter of oil for every 1500 miles ridden, so not terrible consumption, but not great either.

thanks again for the response and your original rr, really good stuff!

best regards,

johnnyg
    windblown101 likes this.