Getting out west. 15 years in the making.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Aug 6, 2016.

1. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report! I would love to tour Colorado some day. How do you like the 790 compared to the other 2 bikes? Is it comfortable enough for the long highway days? I can only assume it's a huge upgrade off road. I am strongly considering the Yamaha T7 also.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 790 is not as nice on the Hwy as the bigger bikes but still very doable. And yes, it's much less intimidating when things get dicey. The T7 is still on my radar to check out if/when it actually materializes in the USA. I'll make a point to at least throw a leg over one.
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @windblown101

Yours is one of my "Covid 19 quarantine reads" ride reports I missed first time around but so glad I found. Well done.
    MaNDan and windblown101 like this.
  4. 790R

790R Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It had been burning oil long before your trip. Nice RR.
  5. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It hadn't been one of the bad oil burners prior to this trip. I reckon it's possible that the oil control rings all spontaneously decided to crap out and die of their own accord though I doubt it. I suddenly went from 1/2 quart of oil loss in 5k miles to 1/2 quart in 200 miles and when I opened up the engine a while back and all three cylinders were a nasty mess.

On a side note: I still have the Triumph with the heart transplant I gave it. It doesn't get used much these days but it's nice to have around.
    ClutchDumpinDan likes this.
  6. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Very enjoyable!
    Thanks for the effort.

The first link about your Aunt and Uncle is no longer viable, but the second one was updated a couple years ago and it's impressive.

Some parallels:
    I just finished a road ride out west and Colorado was prominent, so there were several freshly familiar locations. Sorry to say that I did not catch the Bunk House in CaƱon City.

I too have a '13 Tiger 800 XC that developed a bad drinking problem a few years ago (1qt/600miles at 57,000 miles - the excess consumption developed w/in about 1500 miles). I corrected it with a donor engine as well, though I found one that did not require a top end swap (and that only had 14K of use and cost about what all the replacement parts would have come to - that decision was a no brainer.)
    I doubt that anything you did caused the issue.

I never rode dirt bikes as a kid, and I don't bounce well anymore, so I keep telling myself to sell the Tiger, but your pictures of the pass roads really have me questioning that decision.
    :lobby :D
  7. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Thanks. If you have the desire, my advice is just do it!