Getting passed in your lane...Grrr.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Dr. Greg, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer:
    So I was riding my GSA alone at about 65 mph on a straight section of rural two-lane highway (speed limit 60), light traffic. As an old geezer (70) I don't find it very exhilirating to ride fast in a straight line (curves are another story).

As usual, I'm riding slightly to the left of center of the lane.

Anyway, when I see an approaching vehicle behind me, I usually move over a bit to the right to give the following vehicle a better sight line on oncoming traffic.

I notice two H-D riders (the bikes are unmistakable) approaching from the rear. So I moved slightly to the right of center to give them a good view of oncoming traffic (there WAS a bunch of oncoming traffic at that instant).

I suppose moving over was my mistake...they treated it as an invitation, and went blasting (er, blatting) by on my left, in the lane (again, there WAS oncoming traffic).

First time that's happened to me in 60 years of riding, and I found it disconcerting. I know from reading in ADVrider.com that most of you find it inappropriate to pass "in the lane." If I had remained in the left half of the lane, I wonder if they'd have passed me on the right? Yikes.

Oh well, no harm no foul, I suppose.

--Doc
  2. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    They're rude...inconsiderate. Their, uh, choice of exhaust systems, demonstrate that.

They're all about the Pirate Lifestyle and shoving it in people's faces. You just got it shoved in your own.

Given your age, and I'm not that much younger...the best thing to do is shine them on. Let them get emboldened to try it on someone who, under the riding jacket, lifts weights and is ready for physical confrontations.

As to the question, the only time I got passed/approached in my lane was by other bikers curious about what I was on - when I had interesting rides.
    sieg and 9Realms like this.
  3. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Harsh and colorful

Oddometer:
    I think they took your move to the right as an invitation to pass.
    twinrider, Chillis, cal08 and 25 others like this.
  4. brgsprint

brgsprint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a major pet peeve of mine. I am entitled to the entire lane, damn it!

It's happened to me a few times and I don't think I'm so slow that it's necessary.

On my first time through the Dragon, I was passed on the inside on a turn. It scared the hell out of me. It wasn't that I didn't use a pull off, Racerboy never slowed to wait for a pull off.

It seems that while riding in groups, people think they have a right to ride side by side with anyone. I once had a goddamn Hardley trike pull next to me on a winding country road. He didn't want to pass, he wanted to ride next to me. I put my signal on, pulled onto the shoulder and waived the rest of the clusterfuck by. I gave them time to get out of sight rode on solo.

It isn't just pirates. Years ago, when riding with a club, about a dozen of us were riding a little above the speed limit on a county road. Two sportbikes rode through our staggered formation like a slalom.

After re-reading this post, maybe I do ride too slow. :)

At least I don't ride in groups anymore. If they want to pass, it's just me.
    Hvymax, sloryder and scot_douglas like this.
  5. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very common in California, probably in part because lane splitting is allowed...but I do NOT like having another bike passing me with only a foot or two to spare at 70+ mph. I'm not opposed to lane splitting in general and do it myself at times but lots of CA riders do it unsafely.
  6. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When riding, especially mountain roads, I am frequently slower than most others and pull far to the right to let them by whenever possible. i expect it of them and expect it of slower riders in front of me. In
    Alberta I remember people pulling campers pulling onto the wide shoulder to allow me a pass.
    oic likes this.
  7. PlatyRider22

PlatyRider22 Give'r what she got!

Oddometer:
    In CA I have seen it more than elsewhere, I have done it, but at speeds more like 35mph and usually some Squid or Pirate running Main St. Ringing the high hell out of his ride to show off. I ain't got time for that, too young in too much of a hurry to get out of town. At speeds and situations like that, I would agree it is rude and unsafe, if not invited to pass in lane I would just settle in behind a rider, were all bound for the same place, no reason to push your luck and get there more quickly.
  8. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moving over probably made them think you were inviting them to pass. That's what I would have thought, but I probably wouldn't have passed in the same lane. I try to give people a wide berth and without oncoming traffic. You never know how someone will react. I will pull over and wave my hand for them to pass. If I don't think it's safe for them to pass, I won't move over, but watch them closely in case they do.
    inline4 and Tipofthelake like this.
  9. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Like you said, moving over to the right looked like you were moving over to let them by. From their perspective it probably seemed like everybody was being polite.
    Hvymax, Hi-De-Ho, inline4 and 2 others like this.
  10. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I would've thought you wanted me to pass.
    Hvymax, Hi-De-Ho, kioti and 4 others like this.
  11. Schmokel

Schmokel I got peed on today.

Oddometer:
    We have rumble strips on the center line here on a lot of our 55mph+ roads. I hate riding over those. If I wanted to pass a bike, they pulled over to the right, I would have passed in the same lane to avoid the rumble strip.
    Hvymax, Hi-De-Ho and inline4 like this.
  12. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One time while riding my motorcycle along some narrow two lane, scenic mountain roads, I was just pulling out of a scenic overlook as a group of six riders on Goldwings (local GWRRA maybe?) came in for a stop. As the purpose of my ride that day was to find scenic locations and take pictures, I wasn't cruising along too fast and stopped at a couple of other overlooks. Within about 30 minutes of first seeing the Goldwings, I noticed them in my mirror, overtaking me. At about that same moment, I came upon one of the few, long, straight stretches of road which followed along the contours of one of the crests. There were no pull-overs and a rock barrier wall to my immediate right. With some oncoming traffic, I moved as far right as I could, slowed a little more, to give time for them to pass, and waved them through.

While watching in my left mirror, the lead rider picked up his radio mic, said something, and in coordinated formation, the double line of six motorcycles changed to a single line of six motorcycles..... (yep, definitely GWRRA). They all proceed past, briskly and safely, giving a thank you wave. Shortly after they passed, they made another coordinated formation change back to two lines.....(GWRRA for certain).
    JaySwear likes this.
  13. dirty_t

dirty_t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1.

When I'm on two wheels the only "us and them" as far as I'm concerned is everything else that isn't on two wheels. So that means bicyclists, scooter riders, Harley riders and everything else with two (ok, maybe even three) wheels is with me, and I'll do what I can to make all our lives easier and more survivable.

Admittedly, having someone roar past you unexpectedly at a great rate of knots can be very unnerving and cause for some butt hurt. Then again, this should happen rarely if you're paying attention to your mirrors, which you're doing every few seconds, right? At which point you maintain awareness of what's back there, and if you feel it's safe to do so, give a riding brother a little room if they're running a bit faster than you are. It's the right thing to do.

PS to OP - you said you moved a bit to the right so the guys behind you could see a little better. Bikes are so narrow in the lane compared to other vehicles, this is not something I would think is necessary. Might want to reconsider doing that only when you're intent is to signal it's ok to blow by me in the lane.
    neanderthal and Yanka Lisiy like this.
  14. LApilot

LApilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In West Texas the farmers all poke along about 50 on the 70mph farm to market roads. When a vehicle approaches from the rear, they slide over to the shoulder and continue on at 50. You are expected to pass them in their lane. Also many times someone who wants to make a right hand turn will head for the shoulder prior to the turn. I just think that the universal message of sliding to the right says, "Go ahead and pass me."
    neanderthal likes this.
  15. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Let's see, would I rather hold someone up (especially on a bike) and have them strafing me, or just move over in the lane and let 'em by. I'd let 'em by, and not think anything of it. It is not an issue if you are used to close passing, usually gained on the track. I do understand how it could ruffle feathers it you are not used to it. For those that do these passes, just know that you never can tell who will do the crazy Ivan.
    Hi-De-Ho and Yanka Lisiy like this.
  16. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as it was a safe pass (i.e. you didn't have to any take evasive action), WTF does it matter? You're on your ride and they're on their's. Your "No harm no foul" comment is right on.

Only in North America . . do riders / drivers feel entitled to their spot on the road. Rest of the world, not so much, everybody just shares the road (and shoulder if available). Driving in less developed countries can really open your eyes. Everybody mostly just moves along at their own pace, pays attention to and accommodates those around them, all with an amazing lack of road rage.
  17. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Harsh and colorful

Oddometer:
    The first time I traveled in that area I didn't know what the hell they were doing. I thought the first guy was crashing, so I slowed down. After a few times it occurred to me, "Holy shit he's actually getting out of my way!" So I passed while flourishing a big thumbs up!
    Hi-De-Ho and foxtrapper like this.
  18. El Gallo

El Gallo Why do my neighbors hate me?

Oddometer:
    Des Moines: French for "The Moines," Iowa
    I do my own fair share of stupid squidly stuff, but never on the highway. I think the move is perceived to be a "pass" invitation by many. This isn't to say what they did was safe and cool, but from the perspective of a defensive/preventative riding practice, I usually try to signify my intentions on following distance, lane usage (i.e., whole lane is MINE!) and so on to do what I can to prevent other riders from seeing invitations to do this.
  19. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    I just had two nice riders pull to the right to allow me to pass yesterday.
    The female rider looked to be on a f800 gs and the male a KTM (thank you if you are reading this)

I will not pass in the same lane unless "waved" through.

I have had a sport bike and a Harley do it to me this year in the HOV lane... both times I tend to "drift" towards them as they are doing it. Both times there was nowhere for them to go after as there were cars in front of me... both then rode down the median after passing me. :fpalm

I also had one in boulder a few years ago decide he wanted to ride beside me... I "drifted" until contact was actually made on that one. at the next light he wanted to bitch about it. I asked if he wanted to call the cops? because I had no problems calling them... he shut up.

I also "tend" to not pass unless it is a designated pass zone.... however I have started to do so for drivers who cannot stay in their lane. My thinking (self justification) is that once they spend more time over the line than I would if I passed them I am safer in front of them. I don't want to be around when they are cutting a corner and hit someone head on.
    Tall Man likes this.
  20. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride Mulholland Hwy at a slow pace on a Sat. Morning I guarantee you it will happen often! LOL!
    neanderthal likes this.