Getting rid of Chipmunks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chuppie, Mar 23, 2017.

1. chuppie

chuppie Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience with this?

I tried mothballs. Only marginally effective. Do the "have a heart style"traps work on chipmunks or do I have to kill them? If killing them, best method? The drowning bucket seems cruel vs a rat trap or electrocution.

They are destroying my paver walkways and creating a tripping hazard especially when my elderly mom and MIL come to visit who both use canes.

Thanks
  2. slobinski

slobinski easily amused

Oddometer:
    At one time my parents' summer cabin had quite a population of them nearby, which was eventually greatly diminished by the neighbor's cat. Once they began burrowing into the yard and raising hell with the concrete pavers, the use of "Tomcat" bait blocks seemed to finish the job. A non-approved use for sure, but effective.
    chuppie likes this.
  3. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tomcat rat traps (the plastic ones you set with one hand) with a bit of chunky peanut butter. Jam a another peanut or sunflower seed into the middle so they have to work a bit to get it out. Put it out first thing in the AM, and you'll have a dead chipmunk by lunchtime.
    crazyal and chuppie like this.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    We live back in the woods and the cute little bastards have cost me lots of $$$. They have eaten my vehicle cabin air filters, clogged up engine air filters, ate the wires to the carbon cannister on my 2015 F150 PU, eat the flower bulbs we plant, eat the roots of our lanscaping plants, invade gardens, etc.. I like cats very little too. Have no dogs either so we live with chipmunks as it is...
    Squirrles aren't much better. Deer are worse in some ways, eat branches of everything in sight this time of year.
    Traps- sure but they keep coming back. They will win in the end.
    Mike Dirt, JCool and chuppie like this.
  5. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    chuppie likes this.
  6. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may not like cats but they are very effective at ridding a neighborhood of small rodents. So are snakes of moderate size, they are just slower. Chipmunks can infest large areas and no amount of trapping is going to eliminate the problem. They are also prolific little bastards. Maybe start working on befriending a cat on your neighbor's property.
    chuppie likes this.
  7. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My grandpa built a variant of this trap by floating a lid with seeds in it in a half full bucket. Just refill every time you make a catch.

chuppie likes this.
  8. chuppie

Oddometer:
    My neighbors two cats spend a lot of time in the area wear the chipmunks are. They might be getting some, I just see them when they trip the the motion detectors. I wonder how I can entice some snakes to move in?
  9. chuppie

Oddometer:
    I hear that works well. I guess I'm not fond of drowning them or Poisoning them because it seems cruel as opposed to a rat trap or electrocution trap which is quick. I know I'm getting soft as I get old.
    DSquared likes this.
  10. soupbone

soupbone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    strychnine coated seeds. Bought them at a bug and weed store. Killed all the mice and I believe they are called antelope squirrels. Found them dead with the seeds still In their cheek pouches. Only need a few kernels per burrow. Was about 20$ for a pound of them. Still have 3/4 left.
    chuppie likes this.
  11. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is how I kill them. I half fill a bucket with water, toss a handful of sunflower seeds to float on top, then lean a board up against the bucket as a ramp. I can kill 2 or 3 an evening this way. I don't give a shit how cruel it is - it works. Before discovering this method I tried a hav-a-hart trap with peanut butter but I kept catching birds that would get spooked and beat themselves half to death on the inside of the trap when I tried to free them.
    phreakingeek and chuppie like this.
  12. pranajerni

pranajerni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    22 shorts
    sieg, JCool and chuppie like this.
  13. chuppie

Oddometer:
    I used to be a decent shot, but urban chipmunks are near impossible to hit. They are like methhead tweekers. No gunfire allowed anyway.
  14. pranajerni

pranajerni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    use some of those nice sunflower seeds and bait them to the right place for the short or even rat shot if urban.
    good luck with whatever you use. get them early before they hatch.
    chuppie likes this.
  15. iatethepeach

iatethepeach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My gf's cat reduced the chipmunk population in the immediate vicinity of my cabin in the woods to zero within a matter of weeks. Some were eaten whole, some were left as gifts (disemboweled or beheaded, rarely intact), and some, I hope, left peacefully of their own accord. It was basically a bloodbath.

If you're not into massacring chipmunks, though, or if your gf doesn't have a cat, I'd try one of those sonic things. The problem with poison is you can also end up poisoning other animals, including anything that eats the dead chipmunks.
  16. schultzy

schultzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a terrier type dog that has gotten a few over the last year, haven't seen any around in awhile
    upload_2017-3-23_19-59-37.png
    The great Chipmunk Hunter!
  17. chuppie

Oddometer:
    He should hang out at my house for a week. He would have lots of exercise!
  18. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    We provide safe harbour from the cougars , owls , etc. for a couple feral cats. No chipmunks , very few mice , squirrels , still get the odd pack rat . The dog usually takes care of them . Theres allways something going on , you have to be diigent .
    chuppie likes this.
  19. chuppie

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I carpet bombed the battle fields with moth balls. Boy, do they stink. I rolled them down every hole and pulled up a few pavers covering their tunnels. I'm going to order some various rat traps and lay them out. I will report on the effectiveness.

Quick kill traps are my first choice, drowning machines will be last. I'm going to skip poison since it might harm other animals.

Even though I live in a close in suburb of DC, I think we now have coyotes and they are changing the fox's hunting behavior and hunting hours. I'm assuming the foxes were eating the chipmunks previously and keeping them under control. The foxes around here used to only come out between dusk and dawn, now I'm seeing them until around 10am and as early as 4pm. The fox's god awful mating rituals are starting much earlier in the evening as well. I'm going to get a wildlife camera and try and prove it.
    JimVonBaden and wmfleet2 like this.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    We already have too many feral cats near me and most people IMO. Moth balls, I say phewy! We also have plenty of copperheads around us. Doesn't seem to dent the lizards, mice, or alvin's bunch either.
    I use the poison pellets for moles which we have plenty of too. Name a critter, we got it.
    chuppie and Mark Ryder like this.