Getting rid of Chipmunks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chuppie, Mar 23, 2017.

1. chuppie

chuppie Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So the house next to me is being torn down and a McMansion is being built. This apparently has driven his Chipmunks into relocating into my yard.
    I had previously poisoned most on my property but I felt very guilty about it since it isn't a quick death.

So this time, I bought rat traps and baited them with peanut butter.

1) Tomcat plastic Rat Snap
    2) Victor classic
    3) Chinese made Victor clone with a plastic paddle

So far:
    Victor Classic: 0, Peanut butter gone nightly.
    Victor Clone: 0, Peanut butter gone nightly.
    Tomcat: 1 Chipmunk, 1 Mouse, no loss of peanut butter without a catch. The peanut butter is gone after the kill though. Not sure if it their last meal or somebody comes by after the fact and eats it.

I'm going to run the test for another week and purchase more based on the results.

I'm going to get mouse traps as well since I think they are getting the peanut butter without tripping the Victor style rat traps.
  2. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    Years ago, living in, remodeling old house. It had a family of cats, kittens living under it because the foundation vent was gone. They are hard to catch and would just go back in the vent hole.

There was a window over the hole. I opened the window got my fishing net ready and left for a while. When I came back they were all out in the yard. I quickly dropped the net over the hole. They all hit the hole, pushing the net inside. I just pulled the handle and out came a bag of kittens.

I gave them away and they lived happily ever after.
    trumpet and chuppie like this.
  3. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny, I'm doing something similar in the search for a reliable trap- I always thought the goal was to make a better mousetrap,not a worse one...
    chuppie and brgsprint like this.
  4. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    What exactly is squirrel hockey? I have some in my barn’s attic I need to get rid of and inviting them to a game of pellet gun wars has not done the job. I have got like 8 of them and they keep coming back despite me fixing the holes the and clearing any nests they make in the attic.
  5. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    It’s a simple game of shooting them through an open door, there very offensive and will come back for another try. When I shoot one through the door I get 1 point (if they come back in or not) if they make it past me and back up to the attic they get a point. Last game was 3 to 0 for me
    Maggot12 likes this.
  6. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Ok so pretty much the same as my game of make a bunch of noise to get them out of the attic, plug the hole and shoot them when they try to chew a new one.... im 8-0 but new ones keep moving in. It has been constant for the last 3 years. I get about a month or two before new ones try to move in.
  7. DantheDuck

DantheDuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems that chipmunk and other rodent type populations follow the breeding pattern of coyotes; the more you get rid of the more they produce per litter. I have yet to hear a story regaling the complete riddance of such pests. This is one of the main reasons there has yet to be a declared hunting season on most of them at least in the US. I think the best bet is to find a satisfactory and fun (for you) way to nuke them short of moving house that is.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    chuppie likes this.
  8. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
  9. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    Best spring trap I've found yet. Quite durable also. Stainless springs are a nice touch since I wash them on occasion. I also have two mouse sized ones. I have never found them sprung and empty.
    ozmoses likes this.
  11. chuppie

Oddometer:
    Update,
    Victor 0
    Victor Clone 0
    Tomcat 1 but it has disapeared. I have no idea what happened to it. I'm wondering if it caught something and my resident Fox dragged it off. I have searched the neighborhood but nada.

Bucket trap is also 0 using sunflower seeds.

The ants really like the peanut butter bait.

I guess it is time for a Hav a heart trap and figure out how to kill them humanely after I catch them.
  12. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    Barred Owls are hunting them and have dented the population. They look so sleepy now after working day and night. BTDT.
  13. chuppie

Oddometer:
    So my Chipmunks population seems to be on the decline since Roy the blacksnake has appeared. Last night the circuit breaker to the outside post lamp tripped. I spent this am trouble shooting. Alvin chewed through the wiring. Now I got to run a 100 feet of UF in conduit and rent a trencher.
    Did I mention, I hate Chipmunks? I have at least 3k in damage so far from the little bastards. Getting my pavers lifted and reset is expensive.
  14. DantheDuck

DantheDuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tried talking to the city, county, etc govt officials regarding the issue yet? Sometimes if there is enough evidence of serious damage (sounds like you've got the receipts) they'll do something about it because it can cause property value to decline. Might be worth a shot since you can't shoot the damn things.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    chuppie likes this.
  15. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    Ive been battling a Chipmunk or for months. Along with a rat that made its way into our AC ducting that I finally caught with the 5 gallon bucket trap.The basic wood spring traps, Critters eat the P butter and then run without even setting off the trap. Big spring traps, same issue. 5 gallon bucket trick a well as a Havaheart cage trap? they go in and eat the goods and leave without setting off the trap. In the 5 gallon bucket trap I have used a red solo cup hacked off about 2" tall. Fill that with sun flower seeds and floated it in the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket with about 8" or water. In both the cage trap the cup is zip now zip tied to the bottom. In the 5 gallon bucket and Havaheart trap it/they TOOK the cup of seeds out and made off with it never to be seen as of yet. I covered the hole it digs and placed a gamecam under the deck where it digs for a week. Nada... pulled the camera and that night the sob was back digging in. Time for a Ferret me thinks.
    chuppie likes this.
  16. Secondset

Secondset Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need to borrow Lucky for a couple weeks...Rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, possum, birds, mice etc...No varmint is safe, She doesn’t discriminate! 5DF883B5-AA07-42B6-AABF-1D48E7A5587C.jpeg 322C2189-9ED3-4D49-9667-47A0DED93A76.jpeg

Attached Files:

BobcatSig and chuppie like this.
  17. 2ThumpinPumpkins

2ThumpinPumpkins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't read the whole thread but I don't see smoke bombs mentioned. Light one, shove it in the hole. They don't come back out.
    chuppie likes this.
  18. twinsig

twinsig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    upload_2018-8-1_7-20-39.png

Remember this one!
  19. pontiac

pontiac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best way to get rid of chipmunks, red squirrels is to fill a 5 gallon bucket half full and put sunflower seeds in untill you cant see the water. They are curios creatures and when they go in for the sunflower seeds, they can't get out. Kind of brutal but very effective.
    BobcatSig, trumpet and chuppie like this.
  20. Tiz

Tiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bucket/sunflower seeds been working for me. 12-0 in my favor. Far fewer holes in the gardens and areas near walks and foundations.

--Kevin
    trumpet and chuppie like this.