Getting the word out........

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by enduro-ince, Feb 25, 2009.

1. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    and the word is......LAME!!!

I spent last weekend out in Moab and had an "encounter" with Grand County Sherriffs occifers.
    They are now patrolling areas on quads checking regs and plated bikes.
    Yes the Sherriffs and the BLM our both patrolling offroad. We were approached on the state land near the north end of Sovereign trail.

We were asked to spread the word to our fellow Colorado motorheads about new regs in Utah.
    If your not plated, you need to buy a $30 Utah OHV sticker, (purchased at the Maverick gas station or Moab adventure center). These are good for a yaer from the purchase date. They are made at us for not allowing their stickers in Colorado, so there ya go..

heres the one thats ultra lame..
    If you are plated you must have working front and rear blinkers, horn and at least one mirror......... EVEN while riding the Sovereign trail!!!!!! So if I ride with a guy who is not plated but has the sticker, anywhere offroad, I have to have all that shit on my bike but he does not....Thats right, plated bikes have more restrictions offroad than non plated bikes....

If I buy an OHV sticker for my plated exc and I'm out on a trail, and the LEO of whatever kind see's my plate I still have to have all that shit on my bike. I could take the plate off but if they find out I'm plated, riding OFFROAD, I'll still get a ticky if I don't have all that shit on my bike!!!!!
    So I have to hide the fact that I'm LEGAL!!! in order to be able to ride on a trail without my mirror and blinkers.

I'm very close to being done with Moab...

PS you can now legally ride a quad down main street Moab........or out on the highway............:huh
  2. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Are hand signals considered legal turn signals?
  3. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:

Do these quads have to have operational turnsignals, brake lights and mirrors as well...or just the two wheelers?
  4. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    Sounds like this all could have been avoided if Colorado would have just played nicely w.r.t accepting Utah OHV stickers.
  5. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    No.
  6. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I would assume so, I didn't ask, I was too disgusted.
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Did you get a fine Tom?

I'd be disgusted too. Especially considering hand signals are legal.
  8. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I did not, But one of our group did. For only having a CO. sticker on an unplated bike. What I found to be BS is that they showed up when his bike was already loaded in the back of the truck. I should have received one for no rear blinkies, no horn, no mirror.

Don't forget to signal when taking a fork on a singletrack trail, and blow your horn like there is no tomorrow:lol3
  9. Fleg

Fleg Fleg in 2012

Oddometer:
    I posted this same exact thing last fall. The rest is news to me and I'm glad I took off when the ranger started working his way over to my camp.

Does the BLM have jurisdiction on state land?

EDIT: I didn't get a ticket that trip but a lady from Colorado who was out with her children did. Total B.S.
  10. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:

I was told the soveriegn trail area was off limits to BLM,it is state land. I'm guessing thats why Sherriff John Brown is now out there. There is always a way to F$%K with folks in Utah.
  11. Fleg

Fleg Fleg in 2012

Oddometer:
    Sucks for you guys from CO. I'm just hoping the NM hasn't pissed off Utah somehow!

I'm also getting a little tired of Moab with all it's new rules and closures. This time of year I usually already have my first trip or two planned to Moab. Not this year. They closed all the good desert camping spots, the last trail around Moab that I wanted to ride is half closed now. I wanted to do some more riding at Sovereign but not if I'm going to be harassed about it.
  12. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd calmly ask them to educate me as to why they don't enforce the Constitution of the United States of America, it's called "Reciprocity".

Then I'd ask them to show me the statute on with they are charging me with an infraction.

I'd be curious as to how they get around that on the interstates, if they can ticket you for transporting a vehicle w/o all of their proper equipment, seems like a clear violation of the Constitution.
  13. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    Here's some interesting stuff on DOT regulations. Particularly the last couple of paragraphs on reciprocity.

I wonder if they are being asshats all over Utah or just around Moab.
  14. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Thats what I thought too.
    They couldn't even tell the guy who got the ticket how much the fine was, he needed to call headquarters to find out.:norton
  15. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    My feeling is its just around Moab, its a hot spot right now for sure. I think the new regs for equipment must be state wide, but strictly enforced arounf Moab now. This all went into affect Jan 1, I've been riding around town several times since then with my not fully street equiped exc, missing a plate too, stopping next to cops at stoplights. Never any issues in town with the townies for me. I really feel they just don't want us there anymore, they want more jeeps and qwads though!!! The next thing, it is all about money you know, they will probably open WRT to qwads strictly for the revenue.
  16. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ganshert, unfortunately that's my site, so if there's something that allows them to ticket people for legally registered bikes on the street it's news to me, on dirt I'd like to see the statue that says all registered vehicles must have equipment to the Utah laws, especially when allowing dirt bikes w/o it that have stickers.

Does anyone have a link to these new regs.

17. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Me too, I had the Sherriff explain it to me like three times cuz I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. I suppose this guy might not of known exactly what he was talking about, dunno.
  18. anomad

anomad in storage

Oddometer:
    Not really. But, if a Federal LEO saw you doing something unsafe he or she could detain you and call for backup from state or local authorities. Also, in some areas Federal LEO's are Deputized by the County Sherrif. BLM does have some jurisdiction on non-fed lands regarding a few things.

So, if you have a street legal bike and go ahead and buy the 30 dollar sticker can you take off all your mirrors and crap? :ear Seems like an easy solution if its that important to you.

I usually take my mirrors off one way or another off road!
  19. Fleg

Fleg Fleg in 2012

Oddometer:
    They are cracking down on Jeeps just as bad. One of the spring trips I go on with a Jeep forum just got the same notification about the group permit thing that the Koko trail guys on here got.
  20. Fleg

Fleg Fleg in 2012

Oddometer:
    I almost always take my mirrors off and turn signals.... they have been gone for awhile.

Screw Moab, I'm going to F-Town!!!