Ghost Trains In Northern Maine Woods

Discussion in 'Americas' started by trepidhawk, Jan 31, 2019.

1. trepidhawk

trepidhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I am planning my annual Maine Adventure Ride and I stumbled across this:

https://untamedmaine.com/explore-the-abandoned-ghost-trains-of-the-north-maine-woods/

Apparently there are old abandoned locomotives in the woods of Maine, in typical Maine fashion, you can't get there from here. I can only ride the bike so far then I'd have to huff it on foot the final part of the journey to see them. Has anyone ever been here before?

upload_2019-1-31_5-11-24.png
  2. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mysteries of the Abandoned had a show about them. It looks like the grass is kept mowed around them and the pulley system. Do you have to walk in because it is a state or national park?
    trepidhawk and MYUMPH like this.
  3. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer

Oddometer:
    :clapVery interesting article! Thanks for sharing. I too, have seen the episode on Mysteries of the Abandoned. Love that show!
    trepidhawk likes this.
  4. Kyron

Kyron Purveyor of Thneeds

Oddometer:
    On my list of places to visit :clap
    trepidhawk likes this.
  5. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as I know you cannot take a motorcycle on any of the roads that get close to the trains, double check this before you go with your bike. You definitely cannot use your bike from the Baxter state park side ( no motorcycles allowed) and from the other side, the town name eludes me right now, but it is forestry and paper company land. They will not allow motorcycles on the same roads the heavy loggers are using. With that said, its a bad ass place. Take your 4x4 and camping gear it's still worth the trip.
  6. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool place, but don't go by bike for the reasons above. You can't get close enough to hike in unless you're in a car/truck.
    trepidhawk likes this.
  7. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Can't you take a registered street bike up these roads? I can see not allowing dirt bikes, but a legally registered motorcycle is transportation same as a car or truck.
    trepidhawk likes this.
  8. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    No you can't, and no it isn't the same. The roads are owned by the paper companies and are there for the logging trucks. They make the rules.
    And no motorcycles in Baxter State Park boundaries rounds out the barrier.
  9. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yes...via snowmobile. Very fortunate to have @2twisted hook me up with a sled and he took a handful of us to see them.

They're pretty cool just sitting there in the middle of nowhere. As I understand it there are two ways to get there besides walking. The other is boat which may also include some walking. Maybe one of them will chime in with better informed but I grabbed this from the Maine Riders thread...
    Good luck on your trip!
    trepidhawk likes this.
  10. trepidhawk

trepidhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the replies, I might rent a 4x4 to finish the final part of the journey. I am not 100% sure how I will get there but that is all part of the adventure. I will keep you updated as to what I can find out about it.
  11. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are 4x4 tours up there and certainly some rental options are likely during the season. If I recall there were 4x4 tours offered and they were limited to only a certain number of people per visit due to the protected area and strong efforts to keep damage to the area minimized.
    trepidhawk likes this.
  12. trepidhawk

trepidhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. TommyCareless

TommyCareless Break Down Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    Looks cool and not that far from here. Shame you can’t get there on two wheels.
    ~T
  15. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Unimaginative Lab Rat Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is as far north as you can go on two wheels. "Northeast Carry" on the North End of Moosehead Lake. A long ways from Eagle Lake and the trains...But still a fun ride.
    trepidhawk likes this.
  16. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been there when I was a youngin'. Man...probably close to 25 years ago. We were on snowmobiles. Not sure what the legality of that was at the time. Maine is a bitch to navigate nowadays. All private roads and no motorized vehicles allowed.
    trepidhawk and flei like this.
  17. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been as far as Kokadjo on a motorcycle so I'm not sure where the gate is that whizzerwheel is showing. But I do know that street registered motorcycles are unwelcome on the paper company roads in Maine. Its like 100 miles of dirt road one way but you don't need a 4 x 4. Maybe you can rent a car in Newport? One method of attack is camp at Lily Bay State Park campground, get up and visit the trains (long day), and return to camp the second night.
    trepidhawk likes this.
  18. trepidhawk

trepidhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys for all your input I really appreciate it. I have a buddy that has a camp up that way. I may commandeer his Jeep lol
  19. TommyCareless

TommyCareless Break Down Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    Keep me posted, I'd like to make this work someday.
    ~T
  20. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Unimaginative Lab Rat Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a private campground on the north end of Moosehead Lake called seboomook campground (if I remember the name correctly). You access this from the Rockwood side of the lake as if going to Pittston Farm (which you can stay at as well) both are just shy of the gated sections of the road, but well onto the “private” logging roads. I’ve stayed at both of those places and never had any problems with the authorities. Also had lunch many times at the lodge on the parmacheene road. Fish and game was at the lodge busting some bear hunters for some infraction at the same time we were there on bikes, they paid no attention to us. We’re fortunate to be able to use some of the road system. How bout the B-52 crash site? Good stop there as well....
    trepidhawk likes this.