1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Giant Loop Coyote vs Enduristan Blizzard L

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Tvileren, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Tvileren

Tvileren Offroad Touring Club #888

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I’m considering both of these as my soft (and light) option for the trails.
    Any inmates who can share their experiences, pros or cons with one or both bags?

Currently it’ll be on a super tenere, but will follow be used on a 790r or T7 eventually.
  2. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    I own Enduristan. Tried GL a few years ago. The pros are waterproof without liners, adjustable width using straps to fit various bikes, triple layer material for strength, red lining for contrast, lower cost and passenger area free for passenger or additional duffle bag if necessary. The cons are less storage capacity (39 vs 34L) and perhaps less secure mounting; in general one piece horseshoe design is more stable than 2 separate bags. The GL also includes 3 waterproof dry bags to organize contents. Both bags are very light weight with robust material and have straps to attach accessory bags. If you puncture the Enduristan bags, to keep contents waterproof you can use their repair/ patch kit or add waterproof liners. A puncture will not matter with the GL bag since they include waterproof liners.
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Consider an Altrider Hemisphere too. You have the option of just using the harness if you want to mix and match dry bags. It's an improvement on the original Coyote imho.
    redolga likes this.
  4. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my altrider hemisphere saddelbags, use it on my wr250r, but have testfitted it on my wr450f aswell.
    A friend uses his for a ktm 690 and 450exc.
    redolga likes this.
  5. Tvileren

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    Will look up the AltRider Hemisphere.
    I’ve probably overlooked a bunch of other bags too
    I must say that I like the idea of a horseshoe bag though.
  6. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    15,000 miles on my Nelson-Riggs bags. Never an issue. Saved my bike in a 60mph slide too.
    redolga likes this.
  7. PomInOz_

PomInOz_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like the design of the Enduristan blizzards.

They are light, quick to mount (once seat strap adjusted), don’t get in the way, the red inner works great when trying to find something In them, good build quality, material makes them easy to hose down and clean mud off.

However I’m likely to replace them with the Kriega os base when they release the KTM specific one later in April.

* The Blizzard seat strap is a pain to adjust, huge pain.
    * If you go over heavy corrugated roads etc I’ve noticed the seat strap loosen off
    * If you drop the bike and the seat strap has loosened off, the bag may (has for me) push in to the rear tyre and burn through the underside webbing.

The OS base being fixed width, no chance of it loosening, will always remain taught against the bike. On the 790 from the photos I’ve seen the Kriega OS system bags have zero chance of being pushed against the rear wheel. If damaged you can replace a single bag.I like the option of having the small bags that I can use for tools/waterproofs on day trips and large 18ltr bags for camping/touring.

The above would hold true for the Giantloop Coyote in regards to fixed width, unlikely to go under the wheel if dropped, quick and simple to mount. I have considered the Coyote for its simplicity however it goes across the rear seat which sometimes gets in the way off road. I prefer panniers with the option of a duffel if/when need more capacity.
  8. Tvileren

Oddometer:
    Good insights with regards to the Blizzards.
    I’ll have to look at the Kriega OS base too now

I think the coyote can be placed a bit further back and angled, so it won’t get in the way of movement when off-road. Not sure tho.
  9. redolga

redolga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you're in Norway, check out these cheap Polish horseshoe bags.

http://www.21brothers.eu/21brothers.eu/strona_glowna.html
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Those Enduristans are just single layer RF welded? So what happens when your crash and they rip open?

GL are inner dry bag, then thick truck tarp material, then down low at the impact spot another layer of Cordura.

Obvious to me which one crashes better...and that defines ADV luggage.
  11. PomInOz_

PomInOz_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are a three layer laminate, the middle layer 1000D nylon according to https://enduristan.eu/collections/saddle-bags/products/fender-bag-1 to help stop it tearing.
    eakins likes this.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Those panniers are, but we are talking about
    https://enduristan.eu/collections/saddle-bags/products/blizzard-saddle-bags

Seems different construction.
    I like the shape on the bike for sure but see no wording about crash / tear protection vs 1 layer RF welded dry bags?

$350 for 2 side dry bags & straps from what I can tell? only 24L of storage.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/enduristan-blizzard-saddle-bags

Am I missing something?
    Maybe EU pricing is better?

I appreciate premium moto gear just having a hard time see the value at $350.

For less $ you are into a Coyote
    https://www.ebay.com/i/223300878947...MIhoXmz6zs5wIVGqSzCh0JLgBXEAQYBCABEgKMnPD_BwE
  13. PomInOz_

PomInOz_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From the Blizzards link “Last
    but not least, they are made of our extremely durable 3-layer fabric”.

Pretty sure Enduristan use the same material across all the bags, just different design.

24L as the are designed for Enduro style bikes / travelling light.

Agree for 2 bags price is high but in the same ballpark as other manufacturers with premium build quality.

crash protection should be better than 1 layer rf welded dry bags which is why I think they use a laminate and likely why they cost more. How much better though I can’t say
    eakins and Manray like this.
  14. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    They use the triple layer durable fabric throughout their lineup. Very good strength to weight ratio. If you puncture the triple layer material, Enduristan sell a separate patch/repair kit. Lyndon Poskitt uses Enduristan for his RTW races to places. Enduristan are coming out with a new bag similar in size and shape to AS Magadan 2's which would be an improvement since that bag also requires a waterproof liner.

eakins likes this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Fair enough, thanks for the info.

I'm guessing the value is better buying in the EU vs $350 for 2 small 12L in the US. No doubt there is a certain amount of EU product pride that happens too...I have that for our US luggage products.

In the end even if it was sold less $ in the US, I'm in the multi seperate layer protection camp vs trying to beef up what is still just 1 material (with multiple layers glued together).

This thread is about the Blizzard vs the Coyote and I feel for the $ in the US atleast the Coyote is a MUCH better bag and value.

Companies like Giant Loop and Mosko are not really needing to sell puncture kits as they have built the bag so your dry stuff is many layers deep and protected. A different approach, that may weigh more, but is more better suited to ADV use.
  16. Kawasakirob

Kawasakirob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a huge fan of the Giant Loop. Easy to pack, easy to take off, and the bag does not move whatsoever when riding technical areas. The dry pods are nice because you can easily compress gear, which takes up less space. Giant Loop gets my vote.

20190802_185313.jpg
    eakins likes this.
  17. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    They pack much bigger than 12l. I bet they're closer to 15. Anyway, the better solution is the altrider hemisphere. The poorly represented sleeper of the group.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Either way seems like alot of $ for what it is.
    So even at 30L you probably still need more storage...more $$$. They should be $200-250 max for that kinda capacity.

Those are good too. Wachs from GL designed.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm sure he loves them because he's given them.
  20. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    Aircraft Engineer working at BAE systems (US equivalent is Lockheed Martin). Quits his executive career to pursue passion of motorcycles and racing. Creates Lyndon Poskitt Racing and rides over 230,000 kms RTW solo yet only loves his gear because he's given them. That's possible but in the video he states he's helping design Enduristan products. With his background and experience, I'd be more inclined to believe he's using Enduristan because it works.