Giant Loop Saddlebags

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by USAIR, Oct 29, 2009.

1. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    I posted this on XT 225 forum but I thought I would share the love here.
    And cut and past worked out so well.

My mini review.:deal

Hello everyone been looking at the Giant loop saddlebags for quite sometime.
    Well finally decided to pull the trigger on the 30L Coyote...they also sell a 50L Great Basin but it seemed to big for the XT 250.
    I also wanted something to fit on my Wee DL-650 for longer trips.
    I already have a set of Givi bags on the V-Strom.
    So I really thought that the way I ride and use the XT a set of soft bags were the way to go.

The Coyote was $299 with free shipping from Giant Loop Saddlebags
    In the box comes the Coyote saddlebag,three stuff sacks,and a 5.5" stainless steel hose clamp.
    This is used as a standoff to keep the bag off the muffler.
    You can see from the photo you get two stuff sacks that are use as the side bags.
    And one bag different shape supposed to be used for stuffing in your sleeping bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a side view of how the bag sits on the XT's seat.
    Looks pretty comfortable to me and still have the use of the back rack too.

[​IMG]

Couple more side view shots.

[​IMG]

You can see how the side bag stuff sacks will fit into the bottom of each side of the bag.

[​IMG]

Here's a back view looks like the bag might offer some protection for the turn signals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First thing you want to do is center the bag on the seat and use the centering strap this keeps the bag in the center of the bike.
    There are lots of ways to hook up this or the xt.
    You can use the rubber coated fender hooks or just strap it to the back rack.

[​IMG]

Closeup centering strap
    [​IMG]

Once you have that worked out you then move to the side straps.
    Here's the right side foot peg strap this seemed the best way to hook it to the XT.
    [​IMG]

Here's the left side.

[​IMG]

Here's the bag and how it lays on the muffler.
    This is where the SS hose clamp is supposed to be used.
    They now ship this clamp instead of the self-adhesive heat shield thing.
    I am not going to use this you really just need a small piece of aluminum to keep the bag off the muffler.
    I found a piece of aluminum door threshold that's curved.
    I plan on using the two screws on the XT's heat shield and a couple washers to make the standoff.

[​IMG]

The Coyote does have a built in heat shield that seems to be in a good place for the XT.

[​IMG]

Well that's about all I got.
    So far I think this bag is going to be just great for me and my camping and adventure riding.

One thing I like about the bag is it's seems very versatile and will fit lots of bikes.
    I threw it on the V-Strom and for just a quick look it seems to be a good fit in that bike as well.

One thing I don't like is it's not waterproof.
    But with some seem sealer and just using plastic bags to keep your gear in I don't think it's too big a problem.

Also I have never put the Coyote into use yet(I am recovering from surgery)so it might be a month so.

One thing for sure is I need to get back to work it's way to easy to sit here all day buying stuff for my bikes.
    Soon I will be broke from this.

So far it's been this bag and a bash plate for the XT(I made one but it's ugly)a two bank battery saver,Power Madd hand guard gauntlets for both bikes,Rok straps these are really slick and one of those clear plastic map holders.
    ....I think I may need help....anyway....

Hope this help's people that are looking into getting the Coyote for their bike.

Fred
    1TRAK likes this.
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much Fred,

You really spent some time and effort showing how the Coyote fits on your XT.

Buy the way---I think those are really great bikes---after all "Lois On The Loose" rode one around the world and more.

You've convinced me the coyote is the bag that will work great on my Yamaha WR250R and My KTM 520EXC. I've already got dirt bagz on the WR which do work out really great.

My only dissapointment was when you said they aren't waterproof. But a guy can get around that if he's careful.

The dirt bagz aren't waterproof when you get them---but after a coating of the waterproof stuff from Wal-Mart they are. I've rode all day in the rain----and road for 2 weeks in Baja (no rain) and never got a drop of water or one speck of sand in them.

I also liked the fact (which you pointed out) that you can still use your rear rack-------pretty neat---------he's selling the crap out of these things.

In my opinion----these probably only work for people that have learned how to pack light---what not to take and what to take. I think I'm almost there---but still learning.

Anyway--------I'll throw a hint to my son what I want for X-mas, he knows better than to buy me underwear or socks. :D
    Thanks !!!!

Mark Sampson
    BigDog
    1TRAK likes this.
  3. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark my pleasure hope it helped.
    Hope your son get the hint too.

Looks like you could get some seam sealer and make the bags a little more waterproof...but that won't overcome the none waterproof zippers but it would help.
    I think the bag is really well made too.
    Still haven't put them to use but hope to real soon.
    I am still recovering from some damn surgery.

I backpack quite a bit so I use most of my backpack gear on the bike works real well.

Fred
  4. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    selling my wolfman gear and going for the Greatbasin for my 950. Great review, awesome bag!!
  5. pigpen

pigpen Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    The zippers on the coyote and great basin are waterproof, except wher they meet in the center!!!
    pigpen
  6. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Well I did not know that I thought waterproof zipers had to have that membrain incorporated into them.
    Like this...or the type you see on most riding jackets.

If this is the case then some seem sealer would do wonders...I would think.
    Fred

[​IMG]
  7. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I have switched to a Coyote on my 950SE and it is AWESOME!!
  8. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Well just to clarify the Coyote does have waterproof zippers.
    After the above post I went out and looked at the zippers.
    Not sure just what I had pictured in my head.
    I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the drugs and alcohol.:evil

Fred
    1TRAK likes this.
  9. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Hey Big Dog,
    According to Giant Loop website, both the Coyote and Great Basin are water proof. This is their text for both bags:

"Waterproof YKK zipper with double pulls*
    Waterproof Bomb Shell™ material (22oz vinyl coated polyester – think trucker tarp)"

Hope that helps.
    Lion

10. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    I think showerproof is a better description, they will let water in, especially where the zips meet. Still the best product on the market IMHO
  11. edteamslr

edteamslr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys, what brand of sleepingpad and sleeping bags do you put in your Coyote? If you use a bivy or your tent fits in the bag then all the better!
    My andystrapz are cramping my riding - I think it's Coyote-time and my creditcard agrees with me :D
  12. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Lois had an XT225 (serow) & a TTR250, not the XT250...but you're right it's a great bike.
  13. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    They are definitely not waterproof.

Awesome bags though (I have the Coyote and the MoJavi). But I do have to empty out the puddles of muddy water after a long wet ride.

I have yet to try seam-sealing, but it's worth a go.

dc
  14. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I've been using a Giant Loop Coyote on my WR250R since February and have been thru some real turd floaters. The only leakage I've had is where the two waterproof zipper pulls meet.

Lately I've been carrying several feet of gaffers tape (cloth tape similar to duct tape) and if I hit a shower that lasts more than a few minutes will stop and put a 3-4" piece of tape over the junction. No leaks yet.

Very happy with the Coyote on the WR; haven't used yet on my 950SE.

Traveltoad... on your SE did you have any issues with the weight of the GL bag pressing the side plastics into the cans?
  15. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    I have their Fandango tank bag. It rocks.
  16. coffeestained

coffeestained post nihilist

Oddometer:
    I've put a coupla thousand miles on my Great Basin bag in the rain with zero leakage. I'm talkin' hours in toad-choking downpours. I'm ordering the MoJavi and Fandango next...
  17. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Mojavi - gonna go pick it up today.

The Coyote is too big for a day bag and that is what I need 99% of the time. If I decide to go on a multi-day trip I may get one though. The Fandango is not quite enough to carry day trip stuff.
  18. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    MoJavi! Get it off your back!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="960" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7AlI1dcae8o?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>