Gimp photo editor

Discussion in 'Photos' started by ryder1, Jul 15, 2018.

1. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is anyone using GIMP to edit photos? I downloaded it yesterday and am starting to play around with it. It is the best free photo editor available.
    9Realms likes this.
  2. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I put it on my ex's computer for her but I did not experiment on it long myself. I'm sure she's still using it.
    She just needed something mostly to re-size photos for Craigs and ebay, and lighten/darken some stuff here and there.
    I know it had more capabilities than that.

We will be expecting some artsy, creative motorcycle based stuff from you soon, right? :clap
    malmon likes this.
  3. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    malmon and 9Realms like this.
  4. StumpyHamilton

StumpyHamilton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been using it for a long time, it's pretty functional once you get used to it. If you have RAW photos, darktable is fantastic
  5. SoyBoySigh

SoyBoySigh Constructive-Critic

Oddometer:
    Can you replicate the effects of an older film type? '70s 110 mini-cam craptapular mini-mall photofinishing printed on burlap weave textured paper, for instance? Faded instamatic "land camera" techniques?

The reason I ask, is imho it would be a wonderful contest to get out the PERIOD-CORRECT WARDROBE, period-correct ATGATT (beanie helmet & flip-flops as the case might very well be) Just anything to create the impression that one was THERE, back THEN, etc. Kinda like the sepiatone prints from touristy cowboy themed dress-up studiios, civil-war reenactments, etc. Only in full colour and with the "deely-boppers" & glitter paint iron-on t-shirt designs, table-top "frogger" games, designer jeans or corduroy slacks etc etc -

I'm very much interested in doing a period-correct wardrobe theme for '70s-'80s SUPERBIKE rallies, kinda like the '60s Cafe Racer crowd have with their Glen Hughes "leather-man" theme & their Rock-a-billy music, etc to rally around their '30s/'50s-tech Brit-bike parallel twins of late '70s extraction - Or like how the most current generation of motorcycle-hipsters have with the iphone selfies next to their classic-superbike based STARBUCKS RACERS......

No really though, just visualize a period-correct wardrobe hairstyle & accessory gear "dress code" for a late '70s Superbike race reenactment - You'd have the first gen '79 Sony Walkman playing all 1979 published New Wave music, aboard your '79 CB900FZ or '78 CBX1000 etc etc. How awesome would THAT be?

And then to capture it all with fake period-correct photo-techniques. Modern digital DLSR cameras with period-correct compound lenses for that row of hexagon dreamy glow effect? "Red-eye" flash-reflections in all of the prints? Awesome!

Take it to the nth degree and you might actually carry off real bonafide TIME TRAVEL. Even if there'd be no proof other than the chill up one's own spine, that momentary glimpse into the past would be well worth it, imho.....

-Sigh.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a look at Photoscape. It is another free editor that is very easy to sue and does have a number of filter effects. It is Windows only.

http://www.photoscape.org/