Givi Cases

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spiritrider, Dec 4, 2002.

1. spiritrider

spiritrider n00b

Oddometer:
    I would like to know if anyone with an Adventure has tackled mounting Givi hardware and cases to their bike.
    I am not an "Adventure" tourer yet (bought mine for the gear ratios), am keeping it 95% street (Mounted Michelin TX66's), and don't want the ammo can type aluminum panniers.
    I want a full 3 case setup with some sort of backrest for the spouse but Both BMW and Givi have informed me that they cannot help. BMW claims the GS top case will fit but I need to install standard GS seats, hardware, rear rack to do so. Then you have the darn 1/2 bag capacity due to the high pipeon one side! Good greif!! Givi just says they do not have a fitment kit-period (even though they have one for the standard GS.)
    I talked to a local BMW mechanic who sells Givi and we both feel Givi is the financial and practical way to go. Now for the test... Will the mounts fit?
    I have the technical expertise to get them on with modifications but I'm just curious if someone else has already done the head scratching and cursing...
    What say?
    Way down in SA.
  2. zero-zero

zero-zero Horny Horned One

Oddometer:
    It certainly can be done, man. Here, check this thread:

Tugrik's Givi top case

If you don't want the ammo cans in their different flavors, you'll probably want to go with standard BMW side cases. To have full capacity on the left one, you'd need to switch to a low pipe, no other way around it that I know of.

Good luck, and don't forget to share a pic once you're done.
  3. dapolrbear

dapolrbear Buddah Head Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you want to go with the Givi side cases, they are WIDE. I just helped my bro install the full 3 case kit on his SV650, E50 topcase and E360 sides, and man it made that little bike into a fat ass touring bike. I suspect that it is wider than my Jesse set up on my GS. I would only think it would be wider on a GS cuz of the exhaust, they do not have any cut outs. On the SV650 the case sits right above the exhaust, and on the GS I think they sit next to the exhaust, away from the pipe, makin it wide. I know for the older F650's the left case sit further away from the bike than the right case.....kinda funky, but you can hardly notice it.

I would just go with the system cases and maybe get the touring lid for some extra space if you don't want to go with the lower exhaust and full left bag.
  4. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have put on a Givi e180 top plate mount with top box and back surport and it works well. I don't like the Givi side boxs so I have ordered the black BMW type.:1drink
  5. spiritrider

spiritrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Zero-zero: thanks for the link to some good pics on the givi hardware issue. I finally got to look at and play with a mount at a local Givi rep's shop. I can't figure out what Givi is talking about when they are saying they don't have a fitment kit for the bike when their plate needs no mods (just a shim/spacer) and longer hardware to mount the top box. The Adventure has the perfect stock platform already there!
    I don't know the model # of the plate I'm getting but when I post pics (which I will when done) I'll give the info.

dapolrbear: Yea, I realized that when looking at a few displays and holding them next to the bike. For the $$ it is 1/2 the BMW setup and you get full bag volume - but the looks may be wiiide. Although, I am thinking of getting the E360's which are not as wide as others so it will not look "overly" wide. Pondering...

Kiwiadventure: Your pic looks great! Is that the E52 on the back? Is the plate the plasic type or metal? The one I saw was metal with louvers cast into it and 2 mount slots. I can pass a long bolt through the 2 outer "extension tab" slots and basically it will let me move the mount forward and aft about 2" (5cm) to suit the wife's back position. (hopefully)
    Have you had anyone try out the backrest yet? My wife thinks it may be too small and leave her with a pressure point pain.

Thanks for all the info though. I'm going to put the E52 top box on first then decide on the sides.
    Pondering again...
  6. zero-zero

zero-zero Horny Horned One

Oddometer:
    I use 50 liter Maxias as top cases on both of my bikes, and both feature a backrest. One is like the one in KiwiAdventure's pic, the other is thinner and taller, but I believe it's been discontinued. My wife finds them very comfortable, and there's actually very little pressure involved as the pillion sits in a quite upright position - it's more "Don't need to hold on through acceleration" than "here I am in my armchair ready to watch the game". Here's a pic of my other rig so you can see the front of the backrest more clearly:

Attached Files:

7. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    The plate is metal and there is a plastic cover which covers the metal grid.
  8. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another view
  9. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will have to get some bolts and washers. The washers will have to be cut to fit the metal grid.
  10. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    It fits well to the bike
  11. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife has heaps of room. She has a back protector on so there are no presure points at all. I have my UHF radio wired to the box.
    It is a E50 Box
  12. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    The great thing about the Givi box is it comes off and it's great for work.
  13. spiritrider

spiritrider n00b

Oddometer:
    great pics kiwi! You guys have been lots of help.
    I can't wait to get my stuff and start posting pics.
    Thanks.
  14. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    kiwiAdventure,
    What is the Adventure rack weight rating? After the weight of the Givi box and hardwear, what is the safe amount of pounds that can be put in the box?

Thanks,
    Manxman
  15. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Guest

Good question Manxman. My factory cast aluminum rack fractured in two places with the Jesse storage compartment and top case attached.

The rear rack would ideally be attached directly to the rear subframe and not put any weight on the pretty (fragile) factory rack.

That Maxxus luggage and rear rack setup looks pretty darn strong.
  16. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Adventure manual says Max load 10kg (22lbs) for all the aluminium cases. That means the luggage carrier will hold more than the 1150gs carrier 5kg (11lbs):1drink