Givi Key Codes (Magic Decoder Ring + Quiz)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by kennybobby, Oct 28, 2011.

1. kennybobby

kennybobby n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy y'all,

Have you ever wondered what that 3-digit number is on your Givi luggage key that seems to be totally useless since you can't order replacement keys by the number, nor does anyone know how to cut keys from that number? This thread is intended to decode that secret number such that you will be able to get a replacement key cut by any locksmith.

Here is a picture of a Givi luggage key showing the tumbler spacing along the horizontal axis and the cut depths in the vertical. These are 5-tumbler cylinders that use 3 different cut levels, so there is only 3x3x3x3x3 = 243 combinations. i'm trying to fill out the cut code table so that if will be possible to cut replacement keys from the 3-digit number found on the face of the lock (and on the key too, but if you've lost it....).

The tumblers are numbered 1-5 going from the stop to the tip. The cut depth can be measured using a pair of calipers if you want to get the exact dimensionals. Measure from the flat part of the side groove to the bottom of the cut where the tumbler sits. The deepest cut is a "1" (green line) and no cut is a "3" (black line).

Green line = "1" 0.5 mm caliper reading
    Blue = "2" 1.3 mm
    Black = "3" 2.2 mm

The cylinders are easy to remove once the luggage is opened and the tumblers are easy to swap around also if you want to re-key. i'll post more on this elsewhere if anyone is interested in the details.

For now if you are a Givi owner and want to help: please post here in this thread or send me a picture of your key with the 3-digit key number. i will decode the cut pattern for you and add it to the cut code table, which i will add to this post. If you are clever or good with calipers you can probably decode your own key using the information here and in the picture, and post your key number and cut code.

Pop Quiz: This is key # 031, what is the cut code? Free blank key to the 4th caller who gets it right...

kenny

Attached Files:

2. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    So 031=21323, right?

I have 6 or 8 different Givi codes, I'll post pictures of all of them.
  3. BuddingGeezer

BuddingGeezer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    local locksmith made me key copies for my E46 trunk with no problem. All metal and the head small enough to turn in the lock .
  4. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell, yeah. I have... 11 Givi bags on various bikes, no more than any 2 keyed alike. I'd love a tutorial on re-keying the cylinders, and even have a few extra cylinders in case I mess one or two up.
    CMS likes this.
  5. kennybobby

kennybobby n00b

Oddometer:
    That many codes would really help the cause. You win the prize, send me a PM or email me where you want me to mail it.

You could re-key all your locks to use just one key, or have 2 different lock sets that can be opened by one key that is cut with different codes on the top and bottom edge--the lock only uses one edge but two are cut for convenience--so you can put it in both ways...
  6. kennybobby

kennybobby n00b

Oddometer:
    Jimmy eat world!--hell yeah. i re-keyed all 3 of my Givi bags on the VFR to use the same key, and on the BMW i rekeyed all the locks on the bike and the luggage to use the same key. i would be happy to instruct you on how to re-key some or all of your locks and the extra cylinders may even provide donor tumblers, but we can cut replacements for those if the keys are missing. Post or send me PM or email of pictures with key numbers and we can make this happen. Do you already know how to remove/replace the lock cylinders? What is your skill level with needle-nose pliers, tweezers and small parts and springs? Does your permanent record indicate that you have ever run with scissors?
  7. kennybobby

kennybobby n00b

Oddometer:
    Did he make them from the key number or by copying your key?
  8. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    I don't need it- pass it on to someone else. I'll post the keys in a minute.

These are all of my spares. I have lots of lonely keys and a few lonely tumblers, because it's cheaper/easier for me to buy a 3-pack or a 5-pack from Givi than it is to rekey them myself :evil
  9. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Here they are. Can you give me the cut codes?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. kennybobby

kennybobby n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tedder for posting those keys.

The thinner keys (2 mm thickness) [#010, 127] are the Monokey System and also used on Ducati Multistrada bags, all the rest are "fat" keys that use a different blank--notice how the side groove is cut. Would you happen to have one of the cylinders for the "fat" keys (2.5mm thickness) that you could post a picture--they look like they have an extra tumbler position, but appear to be 5-tumbler so it would be nice to see for sure.

The fat keys use higher key numbers than would be expected for a 3 cut levels--they appear to have 4 levels, so there would be 1024 combinations. There would only be 243 3-level combinations, and that gets knocked down to 210 after taking out the trivial combos (4 and 5 of a kind).

### Cut Code
    Thin
    010 33321
    127 21231
    Fat
    227 22342
    231 24312
    335 13244
    337 13233

The tumbler disks are spring-loaded and held in place by a slight detent tab. They are easy to remove with needle-nose pliers and a firm but controlled tug on the exposed end, or by pressing them out from the bottom using a flat-blade screwdriver.

i realize they are cheap to replace as a set, but if you have lost your keys then you can't easily open the case in order to pull the cylinders, or if you have several sets of luggage and want them to all use the same key, then i still think it would be worthwhile to decode the table.

kenny
    pancho likes this.
  11. der_saeufer

der_saeufer ?איפה בירה

Oddometer:
    Here ya go, three more. The top one is relatively new, the other two are about five years old. All three are from Monokey cases. The numbers are 162, 105 and 106 from top to bottom. It looks like the cut numbers are 13122, 32312 and 32212 respectively.

[​IMG]

Also, this is way easier with BMW locks since BMW wafers are conveniently numbered 1, 2 and 3 so you can rearrange them to re-key your bags or bike. I can't believe I lived with different ignition and gas/seat/helmet lock keys for over a year when all it took was a trip to the BMW dealer for a couple wafers to make up the ones I was missing... and then we have Suzuki who use an eight-pin lock even on a $3500 bike.
  12. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    the guy who runs motorcyclekeys.com can make you a key with nothing more than the keycode.

So obviously he has "cracked the code".

He can do the same with more motorcycle keys. He saved my ass when my friend lost both the keys to one of my bikes, I shot him an email with the key code on the lock cyclinder, paypaled him $35 and he shipped me 3 sets of keys.
  13. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:

Here are a couple tumblers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  14. kennybobby

kennybobby n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pictures der_saeufer, the 105-106 keys show that there is more than likey a logical progression to the monokey cut codes, since they only differed by one tumbler code. Coincidentally the 105 code is the reverse sequence of my 031 key.

Thanks tedder for the cylinder shots--now i see that those "fat" keys are actually 7-tumbler cylinders, not 5, and they use both sides of the key instead of just one as on the "thin" monokey locks. Of course that can be changed by removing every other tumbler such that only 3 or 4 tumblers on the same side are active. Wonder why they felt the need to go to such extreme measures for plastic cases--i doubt anybody has ever had their luggage lock picked by thieves, if they wanted to get in they would just bust the plastic open...

The tumblers come out of their slots on the side with the spring hole if you wanted to remove some to get all your locks to open with any of your keys--one common tumbler would be sufficient to lock the cylinder.

i found out that some of the Ducati Multistrada bags use the same key as the Givi Monokey locks--so chances are good that they use the same cylinders.

Hey all you monokey folks, please contribute some more Monokey numbers and photos/codes--we are getting closer with every key number...
  15. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    BTW, I tried many a time to start a thread for swapping GIVI keys and locks.

Say you have two matching locks and get a third case with a different key. Simply requesting a specific number might yield someone willing to swap with you.

I lucked out once and ended up with two cases, bought separately that just happened to have the same key, unfortunately I lent that case out, the guy lost the key and ended up breaking the lock cylinder to get it open. Argh.
  16. kennybobby

kennybobby n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey eddie,

i had 3 bags with 2 different keys, that were supposed to all be the same key (monokey). i was able to re-tumble the odd one such that either key would work in it, and so now all 3 bags use just one key.

i've since found that you can buy matched sets of new cylinders, 1,2 or 3 matched cylinders with 2 keys each for about $9/set. But you still can't order a cylinder by key number or get a replacement key by key number--which seems to defeat any purpose in having such a number...

i'll probably get in touch with mr motorcyclekeys after he gets back from vacation to see about the cut code table for the Givi monokey locks.

kenny
  17. couchPotato

couchPotato n00b

Oddometer:
    Kenny, I was wondering if it was possible to get the cut numbers for my E36 side case. The key code is 030. The last time I had the locksmith try and open another case it took him more than 3 hours. It would have been quicker to use the drill?

Anyway, hope you can help out. Thank you.
  18. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Recurring problem, eh? :1drink
  19. rick3foxes

rick3foxes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a Givi Monokey E52 top case, here is key #264:

Hmmm... I think this key has 4 levels instead of 3.

[​IMG]
  20. rritterson

rritterson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here is a picture of mine, #082, off a monkey E45. I tried decoding based on the template given in the OP, but mine has notches cut between S and 1, and the top and bottom of the keys aren't the same.

Attached Files: