Givi Key Codes (Magic Decoder Ring + Quiz)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by kennybobby, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Key number 074 from an older E460 I bought it back in 2004:

[​IMG]
  2. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those that have up to 5 GIVI bags you can purchase a set of 5 tumblers with identical keys,.
  3. geoff2k

geoff2k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another data point. Key #165 which came with the 47 (?) liter top case on my Wee:

[​IMG]
  4. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    geoff2k, please check your PM's.
  5. photojojo

photojojo This space for rent!

Oddometer:
    #158 and it broke today. The broken piece is still in the lock though so it still turns. Need to go visit the locksmith tomorrow I guess.

[​IMG]
  6. Keymaker

Keymaker n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello

As you might guess from my username , I am a locksmith. I specialized myself in automotive keys.
    One of my customers brought in a Givi Monorack without a key. I couldn't find the proper blank to make a key. I did a google search and wound up here. And thanks to the picture Tedder posted , I did find the right key.

I believe in carma , so I decided to help you guys out too. This thread is quite nice , very technical. But like most lock talk on the internet , it's not 100% correct.

First off , there are several series used by Givi , these are the ones I know off:

0-200 , like in Kennybody's first post. These are a very common key for automotive accesories. In the original post , you call the depths 1 , 2 , 3. But they are really 0 (no cut) , 1 (shallow cut) and 2 (deep cut). So the cuts for the pic you posted are: 12010.
    Any locksmith with an electronic key cutter should be able to cut you a key by code.
    This key type is the 89 serie by L&F.
    With this key , its is VERY commom for keys with a deep cut to break off in the lock. If yours has a deep cut in one of the first 2 spaces (counting from the head of the key) , you might want to replace it , or get it rekeyed.
    Alternatively you could also get the key copied , but cut only on 1 side. It will then only work when inserted the correct way , but it will last much longer.
    The key blank for this serie is LF12 (Brand= Silca)

0-210 , the THIN blade key. Is a completely different series. Its produced by Zadi , an Italian company that makes motorcycle locks. These are far less common.
    The key blank for this serie is BT2 (Brand= Silca)
    Edit: Since posting this , i have found out these have a red dust cover.

The codes over 200 , are from the 25 series by Eurolocks. This series normaly has codes from 25001 to 27000 , so I don't know how many codes are used in this series.
    This serie has 4 different depths of cut. It also has wafers on both sides of the cylinder.
    The key blank for this one is EU5R (Brand= Silca)

If there are any questions , about these or other motorcycle keys , feel free to PM or e-mail me.
    mb300 likes this.
  7. kennybobby

kennybobby n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you Keymaker for setting us straight on the technical details. Can you provide any more information on how the key codes are referenced to cut codes--is there a master list somewhere that locksmiths can purchase?

It does not appear to me to be a logical progression to the key codes like i had hoped, but if enough folks keep send ing in photos and key numbers we will eventually fill out the table. Many thanks to all who have helped in this effort.
  8. photojojo

photojojo This space for rent!

Oddometer:
    Forgot to post my new key. [​IMG]
  9. Keymaker

Keymaker n00b

Oddometer:
    The code list for all of these series is available to locksmiths. Most coding software contains all of these series.
    My company uses Instacode and Silca key software.
    If anyone wants , I can PM the key cuts for their code.

The key that photojojo just posted is a good example of what I meant about these keys breaking off. There is a deep cut just at the head of the key , that weakens the key excessively.
    If you still have to go to your locksmith , ask him to copy the key on 1 side only. It will be much more durable. But you will need to insert the key the right side up.
  10. Briggo

Briggo When in doubt, Gas it!

Oddometer:
    Keymaker & kennybobby,

I lost the key to my Givi E52. The lock number is 376. Can you help a key code or
    recommend a locksmith? I'm located south of Cullman, AL.

Thanks!
  11. Keymaker

Keymaker n00b

Oddometer:
    Any locksmith that can cut keys to code should be able to help you. Just tell him it's from the L&F 25 series.
    I'm from Europe , so I can't recommend anyone in your area.
  12. bluesurf

bluesurf en dos ruedas

Oddometer:
    Great thread. I've been trying to get another key made and the information here is very helpful, thanks.

Here are a few more keys and corresponding codes. From top to bottom the codes are 078, 107, and 340. The first two are from Givi E21's, and the last from a V46 (first one in the United States, has been on a half-dozen bikes and is still going strong).

If additional pictures are needed, just PM me.

[​IMG]
  13. JB_Strom

JB_Strom IYAOYAS

Oddometer:
    I have an older E50 Maxia top case that I only received one key with.

Hopefully the pic will show, and is much different than the others posted.

Jerry[​IMG]
  14. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I have my fingers crossed that someone has a spare 690 key....or is that 069?
  15. EtowahKLR

EtowahKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a used Yamaha Majesty scooter with a MBK 44 liter topcase. The scooter only had one set of keys, but I was able to get a blank ignition key from the Yamaha dealer. The topcase key, on the other hand, has been an odyssey. I dismantled the latch/lock mechanism to find it was made by Givi, so I contacted Givi USA with the key# 133. They replied back that I need to order SKU V135...... but not from them. I had to go through a dealer.

My local dealer in Hendersonville, NC quoted me $25 for an $8 key blank coming from Charlotte due to shipping and handling. The dealer in Asheville charged me $10.50 including tax and cutting when the key arrived. That was 12 days ago! Still no key. The dealer called Givi and claimed that the key would be here in a "couple of days". I contacted Givi, and they blamed the dealer for screwing up the order. Once I get this key (if I get the key), I'm done with Givi!:dog
  16. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i know someone who has 7 different givi and kappa cases, luckily with the same locks.
    2 were "keyed alike", so he kept those, stripped the other five locks and using all the spare tumblers, rearranged them to suit the keys from the matched pair. okay, there werent enough of the right size and a couple dont have the full compliment of tumblers but 3 or 4 still make an effective lock.

he didnt do it because 6 different key sets were annoying (didnt bother him but it would annoy the hell out of me!) he did it because kappa and givi keys look alike but the kappa ones break very easily leaving a little metal stub. givi keys have a much tougher plastic. the keys arent hard to get hold of here in the UK, ive had a solid brass set cut before. the locks are pretty standard gym locker type locks i think.
  17. cap

cap Vice of Reason

Oddometer:

Not sure if Kennybobby is still around... But this "firm pull" method isn't working for me. I wonder if someone might chime in with a suggestion for removing the disks.

I have new cases and a new top-box. Different keys, of course. So I pulled out my extensive stash of old Givi keys and cylinders, and by chance found a cylinder that would be perfect if I could swap the positions of two of the disks.

Yes, I know I can buy matching sets: that is why I have so many extras.

FWIW, the new V46 top case comes with a newer style key that is far longer and thicker than the keys discussed in this thread.

Cap
  18. scout18

scout18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So here is my key from my monokey case. I need a key for the 082 or a monolock posted earlier I make the code for it as 21211

Attached Files:

19. chupa88

chupa88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a set of E21 but they use two different keys. Can anyone post a tutorial on how to reset the tumblers?

Thanks!
  20. Ninasboss

Ninasboss Nina's Boss

Oddometer: