Givi Monokey "female" adapter

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by calmconviction, Sep 27, 2017.

1. calmconviction

calmconviction Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of a top plate or "female adapter" for making custom top cases using the Monokey system?

I have a Monokey rack with nice plastic Givi top box for daily commuting but would like to build a Pelican top box for trips. I've been researching Pelican case mounts (like Caribou and DIY kits) but that means I'd have to remove the adapter plates each time I switch boxes.

Is there top plate like thing I can permanently screw to the Pelican (or really anything else) that will snap into the Monokey rack I already have? Google has turned up nothing but I can't believe this doesnt exist already. Does anyone have any experience with such a thing?
    quackPOT likes this.
  2. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my opinion. Forget the Pelican case and buy a bigger Givi box. Unless you expect to spend time underwater it will probably be a more cost effective way to go, if ease of use, is what you want. If you had a machinist friend he could make you an adapter plate, or you could buy a used Givi box and cut the bottom off and with spacers attach it to the Pelican. I went the other way, my bike came with side cases, and I modified it to use GIVI boxes. What bike do you have?
  3. calmconviction

Oddometer:
    Interesting perspective. I'm riding a Piaggio BV350 which has become my all purpose workhorse. I use it daily for work and just came back from a 3000 mile trip to see the total solar eclipse back in August. The Givi top case matches the bike, is quite round, and I want to keep it looking nice. On the other hand, I want a solid plastic top box to which I can add extra tail lights/indicators, internal power to charge electronics, a camel back or similar, tools, and possibly a ham radio.

On my eclipse trip I realized a couple of short comings of my current setup
    -the roundness of the top box was difficult to pack
    -I don't want to daily a battle scooter so drilling holes or modifying in the top box was out
    -to charge electronics, I had to do so under the seat but only after removing the dry bag
    -camel backs get uncomfortable after a few hours, esp since I kept it full
    -my rotopax severely blocked my tail lights and indicators such that they could really only be seen from directly behind.
    -I don't want to put stickers on my bike so a removable case is perfect :)

Here's a pic of the scoot in her glory when I was on a Tail of the Dragon and at the highest point on the East Coast
    IMG_8409.JPG IMG_8305.JPG
  4. Vapor_Trails

Vapor_Trails Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    This question pops up from time to time, and I've never seen a solution surface. You'd think someone would be milling or 3D printing something like this by now.

I can picture all kinds of goofy attachments you could make with a Monokey-compatible base plate -- chainsaw holster, bicycle rack, beer cooler, portable shelter, kennel, cat carrier, etc.

Many thousands of bikes of all ages and brands already have Monokey racks and top box plates, so it could be a pretty good market opportunity.
  6. calmconviction

Oddometer:
    That is a pretty nice, polished solution. Maybe it's worth just spending the money on a new box instead of reinventing the wheel.

On the other hand, time to quit my day job?!?
    DCrider likes this.
  7. bwringer

Oddometer:
    It looks like the two "claws" at the bottom of that photo from Caribou would interface OK with the buttons at the bottom of a Monokey setup, but the latch at the top is different -- it won't interface with the Givi Monokey pyramid.

If you suffer through the video (five minutes of a dude drilling holes...), at the very end he shows that they provide a lock plate that replaces the Givi pyramid. So that kit is not really what we're after... there's still a ripe, juicy market opportunity here!
  8. calmconviction

Oddometer:
    Yes, definately Monokey. Piaggio OEMd the mount from Givi. They'll never admit it (maybe they did somewhere) but any standard Monokey box will drop right in.

That guy's website is great. He's operating on a totally different level than myself -- If I had a CNC end mill this would be a totally different project. Some of his other projects are interesting too.
    Sounds like ample storage! Opening the Peli with the Givi mounted sounds awfully heavy tho

Hahaha "five minutes of a dude drilling holes."

One of the issues I've come across while researching this is that everyone calls the components different names, complicating the googling. I've seen claws, cleats, forks, and maybe another. But whatever you want to call them, those claws definitely look like they'll fit.
  9. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Is there really still no viable solution for this?
  10. calmconviction

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately no.

After making my own baseplate for the Pelican, I think the Givi mount would be too narrow for a larger case. You would be fine with the smaller jobs but I wouldn't feel comfortable with a fully packed 1510 on such a little platform
  11. Buzzzz

Buzzzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going the other way. I have a 52L Monokey for travel, but want a small 12-15L for everyday use. The smallest GIVI is 29L but only in the monolock mount. UGH! I don't care for tank bags, and a tail bag isn't secure (no lock). A small Pelican with a monokey adapter plate would fit my needs just fine.
  12. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I would absolutely love to build a quick-release bicycle rack that would latch onto a Givi Monokey mount. Pop my V46 off and snap a bike rack in its place? That would be awesome.
  13. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    There are small monokey side cases that would fit (Givi E21, E22), but it might be awkward to use a top-loading side case as a top case.

Wouldn't anything smaller than what you have now be OK (e.g. 40l Givi V40, Kappa K40)? I use a 46l Givi V46 as top case, local or travel, but I've used a 40l Givi E360 for that as well before I sold my set. I see why a 52l case could be too big when not needed, but I have no problem with the 46l case I use, and I can always pick up groceries, or fit my gym bag.
  14. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer social distancing since before it was cool

Oddometer:
    Bump just in case some machinist/hobbysist sees this and wants a project.
    quackPOT likes this.
  15. SantaFeTrailer

Oddometer:
  16. bwringer

Oddometer:
    bmwroadsterca likes this.
  17. SantaFeTrailer

Oddometer:
    They say "I would but as I bought so many of them for stock they only cost me a few quid each so there wouldn’t be much discount."

18. calmconviction

Oddometer:
  19. SantaFeTrailer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered it and I will report back. I have an aluminum tray I want to attach to it for a nice big rack. I am also thinking about a small Peli case.
  20. Sartas

Sartas n00b

Oddometer:
    Been watching the thread. Any progress?